ixsna
  •  ixsna
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help Topic Starter
Monday, May 30, 2005 8:36:57 PM
So what is everybody buying for high end overpriced fifth wheels these days. Anybody know about those travel units are they junk or not really.
Whazzitlooklike
Monday, May 30, 2005 8:43:37 PM
I dont know of any that are not an over priced ,underbuilt heap that dont live long after five years of carnival abuse!!they are all crap
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, May 30, 2005 9:44:48 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ixsna

So what is everybody buying for high end overpriced fifth wheels these days. Anybody know about those travel units are they junk or not really.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Whazzitlooklike

I dont know of any that are not an over priced ,underbuilt heap that dont live long after five years of carnival abuse!!they are all crap

And what kind of junk (Your words, not mine) did you guys buy? I paid $80,000 plus for my Spacecraft 7 years ago. It's my second one and it's in great condition. It's called maintenance. Take care of something and it will take care of you. I have 140,000 miles on my 97 pickup and have changed the oil every 3,000 miles like clockwork and I never have to add even one quart of oil between changes.

Seriously, what kind of 5th wheel did you buy ixsna and Whazzitlooklike? Tell us your horror stories.
Sixcats have nine lives
ixsna
  •  ixsna
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 8:05:06 PM
I just find it hard to actually say any high end trailers are not crap. Basically they are all constructed the same with alot of staples, glue, caulking and those square drive cheesebag screws that they love to use. The said truth is whether it's an 100k or a 10k trailer they all use the same appliances. You know maybe 1 time it would be nice to actually see a trailer mfg use a square and actually take more than a week to manufacture a unit instead of just stapling and gluing it together and pushing it out the door just to keep production up. It just gets old recaulking and tightening screws every time you turn around. I guess that's why none of them never offer a decent warranty. Just my 2 cents correct me if I am wrong I just don't see any big money decent rigs.
Whazzitlooklike
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 8:11:43 PM
Yeah well I bought a brand new King of the Road for $80,000 plus and it broke in half ,fiberglas wall cracked all the way down and even cracked the corian kitchen countertop no help from the factory,had to dump that rig cheap!!
Just look at what any of them are woth in five years!! nothing depreciates faster!!
ixsna
  •  ixsna
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 8:20:29 PM
That's my point at least when you buy a house for 100k or something it's worth more not less when you go to sell it. Think about the money you've spent on trailers over the course of being indentured to this business and add them up and think about what kind of house you could have for that money it's sickening.[:(]
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 8:28:09 PM
At the moment I cannot remember who manufactured mine, but it is a few years old and has held up extremely well. It isn't a 5th wheel though, more of a motorhome.

I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

UserPostedImage

with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 8:41:39 PM
Richie has a nice Prevost from what I'm told....by him of course...
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, June 1, 2005 8:58:05 PM
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, June 2, 2005 4:28:37 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ixsna

Anybody know about those travel units are they junk or not really.

i own a travel unit. great trailer for the money.you get it custom built. i've owned many trailers in my day, got to say travel units builds a pretty solid trailer.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
alibi sweetie
Thursday, June 2, 2005 4:45:05 AM
I have a 20 yr. old Royal Coachman that we still use. Redid the inside last year..new carpet and sanded the cabinets, etc. But it's held up thru lots of hard hiway miles. They don't build em like they used to.
4_IT
  •  4_IT
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help
Thursday, June 2, 2005 5:54:38 AM
We have an Alfa Gold 5th wheel that we are extrememly happy with. Comes with a 5 yr full warranty and a TON of extras as standard equipment. There are only like 5 options, everything else is standard.

It is 38', triple slide, tri-axle, and is on the low price side of upper end trailers.

They've done some strange things to the floorplans this year, but assuming they get that worked out we fully intend to trade for another one in 2 years. Ours is 2 yrs old with very few problems so far, knock simulated wood-grain particle board.

YMMV[;)]
Never work for a guy named Slick,
Never gamble with a guy named Lucky,
Never fight with a guy named Duke!
The Flowergirl
Saturday, June 4, 2005 9:59:31 AM
I'm dreaming of a Travel Unit. I've never heard complaints out of anyone I know who owns one. They are one of the few manufacturers that will make a trailer strong enough to put up with the wear and tear of daily living. The only one that I've seen on the inside was 8' wide and 50' long ready to roll, but set up it was 15' wide in places and 53' long. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and full sized appliances. Even the washer/dryer. As mentioned before, they are all custom made, one at a time and there is a wait list. Plenty of time to save up for my dream house.
The more you know, the greater your life
can be.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 4, 2005 8:18:23 PM
You guys ought to ask Richie about the Prevost Bus he's always chillin out in.....Oh wait, I forgot....He's Still Banned...lol