squirrel
Friday, September 2, 2005 6:01:38 PM
We have disabled the bad words filter on a temporary/trial basis until we can straighten out the system and it's detections.

As of this change, ANY POST THAT CONTAINS ANY KIND OF PROFANITY WILL BE DELETED. THIS IS A REVISION TO THE TOS AND ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.

Coastercameron
Friday, September 2, 2005 8:59:25 PM
PG-13 rule no longer applies? What is our limit here? Is the H word allowed? [}:)]
squirrel
Friday, September 2, 2005 10:38:33 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Coastercameron

PG-13 rule no longer applies? What is our limit here? Is the H word allowed? [}:)]

No, the rule still applies. The filter was disabled because of the false-positives it kept filtering.
Coastercameron
Saturday, September 3, 2005 6:17:02 AM
So, are words that are OK in a PG-13 movie still ok here, or is it no profanity at all? I'm still confused. [^]
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, September 3, 2005 7:56:57 AM
All this effort put into something so idiotic.

Kiddie rules for adults.
squirrel
Saturday, September 3, 2005 1:37:28 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by mikehawkenballs

All this effort put into something so idiotic.

Kiddie rules for adults.

That's just it. You think there are only adults here, and there aren't.

If you want it an adults only place, we could do it, but it would cost members 19.95/month and you would have to have either a credit card or electronic checks to prove your identity, age, and other details in order to be allowed access.

Otherwise, it's clean posts or no posts. Sorry.
squirrel
Saturday, September 3, 2005 1:39:11 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Coastercameron

So, are words that are OK in a PG-13 movie still ok here, or is it no profanity at all? I'm still confused. [^]

The only word that will POSSIBLY slide is hell, and if it's deemed inappropriate in the post by a collective vote of the administrators and moderators, then it will be deleted.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, September 3, 2005 2:02:02 PM
To me, it is sad that folks cannot be mature enough in the first place to avoid foul language here, thus making a "filter" necessary. What a shame that folks even want to use that kind of lazy language. And lazy is what it is....those folks are too lazy to think of a word that is not offensive to others. And besides that, why waste time typing it in? Does it make those folks feel important? Does it make those folks feel good? There's more than enough of that language on the lot and out in public, why should we come here and read it, too? And what makes it even more ridiculous are the one's that come up with alternate spellings that make the words look different but pronounce the same, talk about wasting your time. We all choose to come here, of our own accord, and if any one of us does not like the rulesor want to play by the rules, it's simple....LEAVE. [xx(]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
squirrel
Saturday, September 3, 2005 2:15:56 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

To me, it is sad that folks cannot be mature enough in the first place to avoid foul language here, thus making a "filter" necessary. What a shame that folks even want to use that kind of lazy language. And lazy is what it is....those folks are too lazy to think of a word that is not offensive to others. And besides that, why waste time typing it in? Does it make those folks feel important? Does it make those folks feel good? There's more than enough of that language on the lot and out in public, why should we come here and read it, too? And what makes it even more ridiculous are the one's that come up with alternate spellings that make the words look different but pronounce the same, talk about wasting your time. We all choose to come here, of our own accord, and if any one of us does not like the rulesor want to play by the rules, it's simple....LEAVE. [xx(]

The irony of it all is this:

Over the last couple years I travelled and operated a lot, more and more of our committees were watching and listening to what went on 'before or after hours' (including setup/teardown and such. More and more towns will not have you back if you use that language on the lot whether there are customers out there or not. They view it as un-professional and they don't appreciate it around their children and the children in their communities. Carnivals are supposed to provide clean, safe, enjoyable family fun, not come to town and teach the kiddies a new language... The same I think should go here. You wouldn't walk up to a committee man and say "Hey M***** F******, ....", so why does it have to be posted here?

The surprising part is there are just as many committee people on this forum as there are carnies, and I would bet a LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY that some people have cost themselves potential spots just by how they act in public (and yes, this is a public place).
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, September 4, 2005 12:10:37 AM
Gimmie a break.
Show me ONE fair in the ENTIRE WORLD that has dropped a show over the help swearing.
squirrel
Sunday, September 4, 2005 12:43:13 PM
Quote:

quote:

Gimmie a break.
Show me ONE fair in the ENTIRE WORLD that has dropped a show over the help swearing.

You call just about any show and ask the owner how many spots he's lost because of his help, and you'll find out.

I can think of shows and spots, but I can't post it here. It's against the TOS.

Besides, it doesn't have to be a fair. It can be a church festival, or anything close. That's my point. Just because it hasn't happened to you, don't you think for a New York minute that it hasn't happened at all (or won't happen in the future).

While I'm at it, don't think for a minute that I am just some person who has no clue what I am talking about either. You know very little about me, but you have a REAL tendancy to talk to me like I'm some 10 year old punk, and you are very wrong. I've got 16+ years in this industry, and I don't deserve that.

I have tried very hard not to insult you or be rude to you, but you continue on none-the-less. Why?

MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, September 5, 2005 2:22:56 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by secret.squirrel

Quote:

quote:

Gimmie a break.

You call just about any show and ask the owner how many spots he's lost because of his help, and you'll find out.

I can think of shows and spots, but I can't post it here. It's against the TOS.

Besides, it doesn't have to be a fair. It can be a church festival, or anything close. That's my point. Just because it hasn't happened to you, don't you think for a New York minute that it hasn't happened at all (or won't happen in the future).

While I'm at it, don't think for a minute that I am just some person who has no clue what I am talking about either. You know very little about me, but you have a REAL tendancy to talk to me like I'm some 10 year old punk, and you are very wrong. I've got 16+ years in this industry, and I don't deserve that.

I have tried very hard not to insult you or be rude to you, but you continue on none-the-less. Why?

Continue on what exactly?
Disagreeing with you?
Show me what you are talking about so I can understand.

The big friction I have with you,the other mods or even Matt is always because I speak my mind,and I don't kiss ANYBODYS keister.
I say what's on my mind.And it just burns you up.

This is a discussion about the inane "bad words filter".
You think it is necessary,and I don't.

That's called difference of opinion.

You claim carnivals have lost spots because of help,and I asked you which ones.

Why exactly would it be against the TOS to post them here?If it is true and not rumor then it really shouldn't be a problem.
Then again,you could have shot me a PM telling me what shows and what spots they have lost because of the help swearing.

Just because you have the "power" or whatever to boot people or delete something that YOU don't like,it does NOT make you right.

You create half of these problems with your sometimes over zealous deleting and/or hatchet jobs on threads.It happens all the time.

This is usually where you will come in with either the "hey if you don't like it,then you can split" or "we don't get paid for being mods"

Why would I have to leave because I don't like something here? Should I be some type of robotic automaton that just let something I don't agree with pass? I never really understood that one.And the amount you make or don't make doing this shouldn't be a barometer of the quality of the job you are doing.

You starting this thread is a great example of something that didn't even need to be brought up in the first place.Did everyone have to be warned or something that the filter was off?

Many times it has been brought up that there is over a thousand members here and how tough it is to keep it in control,but how many of that 1000+ are regular posters? And of those people,how many actually are offended by someone using a profanity?

Of course there has to be someone to make sure no one posts some skeevy pictures or whatever,but the occasional four letter word isn't going to kill ANYBODY.

Never has,never will.
squirrel
Tuesday, September 6, 2005 6:24:45 AM
Quote:

quote:

Continue on what exactly?
Disagreeing with you?
Show me what you are talking about so I can understand.

Just because you have the "power" or whatever to boot people or delete something that YOU don't like,it does NOT make you right.

You create half of these problems with your sometimes over zealous deleting and/or hatchet jobs on threads.It happens all the time.

This is usually where you will come in with either the "hey if you don't like it,then you can split" or "we don't get paid for being mods"

Why would I have to leave because I don't like something here? Should I be some type of robotic automaton that just let something I don't agree with pass? I never really understood that one.And the amount you make or don't make doing this shouldn't be a barometer of the quality of the job you are doing.

Contrary to what you think, I am only a deleter. I quit editing anything long ago. It took too much time. The fact that you think I delete something because I don't like it is completely wrong. IF I delete something, it's because atleast more than one person has complained about it, I have looked at it, I have had Matt and the others look at it, and we have ALL decided on it's deletion. You think that 'because I am an admin, I exercise the -I can do whatever I want- syndrome and that's just not the case. If you knew me at all, you would understand that. Instead, you automatically assume that's the case. Also, by the time I get to the point where I tell someone if they don't like it, they can leave, it's because I've stated the points of the TOS, I've stated that there won't be a change in it, and I continue to get argued with. That's all. I don't expect people to leave, and I don't want them to. It's just that I refuse to change the rules just to suit one person. That's like letting someone that's 36" tall ride a Zipper solo in a tub to me. It just doesn't work because then everyone wants to and in that case, someone will get hurt. It's not quite as serious here, but the point I'm making is that rules are rules, no matter what they are.

Quote:

quote:

The big friction I have with you,the other mods or even Matt is always because I speak my mind,and I don't kiss ANYBODYS keister.
I say what's on my mind. And it just burns you up.

Actually, I could care less. With the number of years I've spent in this business, I've learned not to let people's opinions bother me. quote -- "Opinions are like ***holes -- everyone's got one, all of 'em stink..." I don't expect you to like my opinion -- I don't know you from Adam. What DOES burn me up is that you think I let my personal opinions affect decisions here on this forum, and that's where you're wrong.

Quote:

quote:

You claim carnivals have lost spots because of help,and I asked you which ones.

Why exactly would it be against the TOS to post them here?If it is true and not rumor then it really shouldn't be a problem.
Then again,you could have shot me a PM telling me what shows and what spots they have lost because of the help swearing.

It would be against the TOS because I recieved the information second-hand from people behind the scenes, it can't be verified because no show is going to admit it publicly -- it would make them look bad. You're right, I could have sent you a PM, but again, I don't know you from Adam -- who's to say you would call the shows I mention and tell them I'm out there slandering them? I tend to get the feeling you don't like me (imagine that)...

Quote:

quote:

This is a discussion about the inane "bad words filter".
You think it is necessary,and I don't.

That's called difference of opinion.

You starting this thread is a great example of something that didn't even need to be brought up in the first place.Did everyone have to be warned or something that the filter was off?

Many times it has been brought up that there is over a thousand members here and how tough it is to keep it in control,but how many of that 1000+ are regular posters? And of those people,how many actually are offended by someone using a profanity?

Of course there has to be someone to make sure no one posts some skeevy pictures or whatever,but the occasional four letter word isn't going to kill ANYBODY.

Never has,never will.

When someone cusses in a message, between Matt, Fixit, and I, we get about 50-75 emails combined about it. That's why there's a bad words filter - because for the 50-75 that email about it, there are usually atleast 3-4 times that who are truly bothered by it but won't take the time to say anything -- they'll just leave instead...

You're right, it won't kill someone. I agree, but whether or not it will kill someone is irrelevant. The amusement industry is based on family entertainment, and people of all ages come to the carnival and this website. That's the point. Why is it so hard to act here like you would on an open lot infront of the customers (or do you use that language with the customers)?

They didn't have to be warned that the filter was off. They had to be warned that because the filter was off, messages would be deleted if profanity was used. The notification was for the change in the TOS.
Trucker090
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 2:32:56 AM
[8D][8D][8D] Well said secret.squirrel!! [8D][8D][8D]
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
BigSumo
Wednesday, September 7, 2005 10:17:21 AM
Okay, I say we put Mike and SS in a ring wearing the inflatable sumo uniforms and they have it out, we could have Boils referee, sell tickets, rpoceeds go to Hurricane Victims.

As for dropping a show for language, I do not know about dropping a show, however I have fired employees becuase of their language, especially when the public is around.
Clarke

Jacta alea est - "The Die is Cast"