Tornado
  •  Tornado
  • 91.54% (Exalted)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, August 2, 2005 2:09:14 PM
Does anyone know what ever became of United Shows of America’s green Chance Giant Wheel?
The pictures I’ve seen of the “Giant Wheel” sign on Butler Amusements lite green giant wheel looks very much like the one that was on United’s…
Did Butler buy it and is now carrying 3 chance giant wheel???
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, August 3, 2005 3:38:30 PM
I have some pics that I downloaded of the Wheel setting in a field awaiting an auction I believe. Someone on here posted the link shortly after they shutdown.

The wheel appeared to be in extremely rough shape. Barely and turbos on the spokes, and alot of rust. The paint was showing signs of advanced oxidization. I have never heard of anyone buying it. Anyone know?
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, August 3, 2005 4:27:03 PM
Well I cant speak as to what happened to it, but I know that Butler did have a wheel just like it, with the Giant Wheel sign and all, but they have had that wheel for a long time. The USA wheel was in pretty rough shape, I dont think it had been painted since it was bought and the last year they had the contract it had to be toredown from the FSF becuase the inspectors wouldnt let it open. Or so I was told.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, August 3, 2005 4:42:06 PM
I saw that wheel at the Tampa fair in 2002 ( I think)and God was it in bad shape then!
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, August 3, 2005 5:34:03 PM
It was pretty bad looking. All I can say is that is what happens when you do absolutely nothing to a ride.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, August 3, 2005 5:51:26 PM
if this is the wheel in question i seen it many times at the FSF and it wasnt in the best shape. These pics were taken the last time i saw it i dont remember what year it was in..

http://pg.photos.yahoo.c...dnm=dcbc.jpg&.src=ph 
http://pg.photos.yahoo.c...dnm=452b.jpg&.src=ph 
Bob

Cstephens
Wednesday, August 3, 2005 8:02:01 PM
wade's 1989 chance giant wheel also was in rough shape when i saw it in poteet last april, it is the second portable one chance built, cumberland valley shows still has the first portable chance giant wheel, it was built in 1988. cumberland also bought the first starship 2000 ever built by wisdom, interstate amusements of america owns it now, cumberland now has a brand new starship 2000 known as starship exodus. not sure if murphy brothers still has their chance giant wheel cause i heard a rumor that reed expo may have bought it.
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, August 4, 2005 4:09:53 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by bob4554

if this is the wheel in question i seen it many times at the FSF and it wasnt in the best shape. These pics were taken the last time i saw it i dont remember what year it was in..

http://pg.photos.yahoo.c...dnm=dcbc.jpg&.src=ph 
http://pg.photos.yahoo.c...dnm=452b.jpg&.src=ph 

That would be the one! It looks better in your pictures though. I will dig out those pics I have of it racked this weekend and post them.[8D]
bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, August 4, 2005 4:32:17 AM
cool it may have been in better shape then as i said i dont remember what year it was but that was the last time i saw it. looking forward to seeing you pics.
Bob

orphaned
Thursday, August 4, 2005 4:39:10 AM
The last couple of years that United had the contract at the FSF, they booked in the CVS Giant Wheel instead of using their own because there was a mechanical problem of some sort with it....I can't recall for sure what the problem was, but it was major.
bob4554
  •  bob4554
  • 55.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, August 4, 2005 5:15:51 AM
yeah i remember up until this year when farrow's wheel was there the CVS wheel had been there for quite a few years. im wanting to say that pic of USA's wheel i took was in 1998 but im not positive
Bob

JOHN C
Thursday, August 4, 2005 4:10:23 PM
the last time i knew of this ride it was still in birmingham..may still be rusting away
once you go carnie you never go back

UserPostedImage