Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:05:53 AM
I remember JD Floyd saying back I think in the '80's that when he put two Eli's up side by side they got more money than when he put up only one.

At some point CVS stopped putting up two wheels and went back to one, so I was wondering if this was true for everyone who has two wheels, why more don't do it?
orphaned
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 6:18:33 AM
I've seen Casey's Rides put up two Eli's side by side a couple of times in the past few years...and hang a banner between them...but it's a pretty rare thing, huh?

I wonder how much more two gross than one......side by side...
skywheel88
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 11:01:53 AM
I think two ELI's standing side by side looks way more exciting, also when your on one thats spinning you can see the other one from all angles, my answer would be it just makes it more of an experience as well as being a pleasure to watch, more attractive to the crowds and makes the event look bigger especially when they are both fully loaded.
Kenny.

cny_chris
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 12:52:04 PM
It must work... there were two Eli wheels next to each other at the Florida State Fair this year...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
R-Key
  •  R-Key
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:03:07 PM
I remember when I was with MBGS in 95 they put up both wheels in Des Moines Iowa and a couple even got married on them and I belive that was soemthing really sweet and have not heard of it since . I think it should be madatory they should have to set both wheel if the space lets them it is something spectacular
I know the hustle’s hard, but we gotta enterprise, the carnival
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CARNI_LOVE_4EVER/ 
flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:05:20 PM
Years ago all of the bigger shows carried at least 2 wheels, mostly Eli 12s, some did have 5s and a few had both. Two wheels side by side with the windbraces overlap looks impressive and if they have stars inside the circle it really flashes a midway. Remember back then we didn't have the technology or array of flashy rides we have today. Many shows had lit marquees like a front gate infont of them. Even then if a spot couldn't justify two wheels only one went up. With WT Collins we only used two wheels half the time. Help was also a problem. Wheelmen were hard to find and keep. A ground mounted wheel is one of the more difficult rides to move and requires 4 men, 2 hours plus down, 4 hours plus up. Operators were more than push button men. It's a constant process of keeping it balanced Remember no hydraulics, ropes moved it. Manual clutch and brake controled the drive cable which slipped when far enough out of balance. With quarter tickets there were times I averaged $100 an hour. Thats 400 riders an hour but most spots won't support that action. 100 to 200 riders an hour is normal. Today it is a show piece. Back then a #5 cost $12,000 complete with crates, ticket box, ropes and tools. Dollars dictate what goes up and what stays in the trailer. Back then most of the time a good dependable wheelman made more money than the rest of the help. Hope this helps you to understand wheels a little better. Pinetar's video shows a wheel being roped up. Well worth the watching.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
R-Key
  •  R-Key
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:51:49 PM
my bad guys you are talkin bout the single wheel and my coment was about the sky wheel ( double wheel ) sry [:(]
I know the hustle’s hard, but we gotta enterprise, the carnival
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CARNI_LOVE_4EVER/ 
Flying Coaster
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 2:18:56 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by R-Key

my bad guys you are talkin bout the single wheel and my coment was about the sky wheel ( double wheel ) sry [:(]

Same effect, just on a different scale.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 3:13:52 PM
Hey Flamo, thanks for your comments. Your post are always good reading!
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 5:05:49 PM
Talking about multiple wheels how about the biggest shows putting up 4 Eli's side by side. Like someone else said sometimes they even had front gate like structures in front of them.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:05:26 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

It must work... there were two Eli wheels next to each other at the Florida State Fair this year...

Both of those wheels belong to Arnold Amusements. We had two Eagle 16's next to each other in Orlando (ours and one of Arnold's). The Arnold's put their wheels next to each other a few times a season, Troy, Michigan (Troy Daze in September) and the National Cherry Festival in Traverse City, Michigan (early July) to name a couple. Always looks cool.

Of course, two Sky Wheel's is even better. [;)]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
ScorpionKing
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 7:20:20 PM
we own 2 wheels a chance giant wheel and a chance century wheel the only time we put both of them up is orchard lake,mi but that is one of the biggest spots we play.... with the exception of our 4-5 big fair season spots neither wheel really does great and to me it dosent seem right to set the giant wheel up at any of our spring spots with the exception of orchard lake.....
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:16:41 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ScorpionKing

we own 2 wheels a chance giant wheel and a chance century wheel the only time we put both of them up is orchard lake,mi but that is one of the biggest spots we play.... with the exception of our 4-5 big fair season spots neither wheel really does great and to me it dosent seem right to set the giant wheel up at any of our spring spots with the exception of orchard lake.....

Yeah, but not side-by-side, as Scott asked about. Pugh used to bring in the two Chance Wheels and the Sky Wheel to the Livonia Spree.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain