MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:15:50 PM
I've always wondered what the fasination with seeing photos of rides not set up.Anyone know?
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:28:31 PM
lol Where is the love! That sounds like a park comment to me. Well ever since I was a kid I was always interested to see how a ride like a Super Loops or Gravitron got racked on a single Trailer. When I was a kid it was interesting yet now its more of a Knowledge to learn from on how other shows rack a classic such as a spider or paratrooper different from yours.
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:36:11 PM
This isn't some type of ball bust believe me.I really wonder about it.If I was gonna do that there are many other topics I could think of to bring up. lol

I dig that from the "see how it folds up" perspective,but I mean after you have seen a ride sloughed on a trailer once why would anyone want to see it over and over? Its not like a big beautiful certain ride that people like,some fall in love with that they look at,but an ugly trailer.
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:40:25 PM
Must be a true love for the ride once you take more then one racked photo. I take photos to show how the ride gets torndown and to show the public what has arived on the lot before the spot opens.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:41:01 PM
I think a lot of us just find it fascinating (amazing really for some rides) that rides are racked on a trailer on day, then become these "majestic" (for lack of a better word) rides on a midway, operating, and then a few days later are just folded right back up onto a trailer and driven down the road to the next spot, where it all happens again. Fascinating that a ride like the Sky Wheel can look so tall and beautiful and big on a midway, and just fold down and rack on two trailers like that. That, at least, is how I have looked at it since I was a child.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:58:23 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

I think a lot of us just find it fascinating (amazing really for some rides) that rides are racked on a trailer on day, then become these "majestic" (for lack of a better word) rides on a midway,

Well at least you did'nt call them SEXY.....Who said that anyway? I forgot....lol
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, April 14, 2005 9:45:02 PM
Just like magic!!!!!!! From road to midway
tiltawhirl
Thursday, April 14, 2005 11:28:48 PM

Same for me Chris. Ever since my childhood I have been fascinated with the whole travelling ride thing.

In fact, I used to ride my "Green Machine" around in the driveway, and pretend it was a ride to set-up![:p]

Its the process that fascinates me, not neccesarily looking at the work involved. It's the functionality built into the design. I would ride my bike down to the corner in Brampton ON when I was a kid, and sit and watch the rides being set-up. We used to see far more fairs then.

tilt
dccradio
Friday, April 15, 2005 4:01:37 AM
For me, part of it as a kid was to try and figure out which ride it was that had arrived at the fairgrounds. For that matter I still enjoy trying to determine what ride has arrived.

It also is still fascinating to me like Skywheelrider stated that something so majestic can fold down to 1 or 2 (or more) trailers.

I have always enjoyed fairs and festivals and I think part of the fascination with racked rides is that it's the first thing we see on a lot. The fair is still a week or two away yet I can drive by the fairgrounds and see trailers that will soon transform into carnival rides.
Mark H
orphaned
Friday, April 15, 2005 5:11:16 AM
You guys should look at ebay at the guy in the UK that has all the European shows moving into and out of lots. Doesn't show set up...just the rigs pulling in or out with racked rides. It's a series called FAIRGROUND FUNFAIR SHOWMAN'S TRANSPORT. I bought volume 8 a while back. It's pretty neat stuff to watch. They move some MAMMOTH pieces over there.
Midway Provydr
Friday, April 15, 2005 6:04:30 AM
Im right there with you guys on the fascination of racked rides. Still to this day, i sometimes get stumped on the identity of a racked ride, especially seeing so many rides that have never been to the fairs close to where i am. But i find that only to keep up the thrill and challenge of trying to figure out what it is. And how such large rides that can fold up onto just 1 or 2 trailers just amazes the heck out of me.
FNO Sean
  •  FNO Sean
  • 57.68% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, April 15, 2005 9:42:35 AM
I think if it was not for racked rides catching our eye at an early age, none of us will be here, message board I mean. I remember my childhood days trying to race down to the lot to see what was left after a long nights taredown. Was always ****ed if just kiddies were there and wanted to see the big bad @$$ rides that I never seen before to take pics. These were the days before Internet and was hard to find pictures just anywhere.
carnahan
Friday, April 15, 2005 11:41:59 AM
you should try racking one !a chess game!but a fun challenge !it is an art![8D]
man is the only animal that can blush , or has the need to !
Boils The Clown
Friday, April 15, 2005 11:51:52 AM
No Comment(Although,it would be a positive commemt)due to some misc members here , that would feed off my post & bash me for no reason.[V]
Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
cny_chris
Friday, April 15, 2005 1:48:21 PM
As an Engineer, I look at the individual parts and the sum of them in the finished ride. The whole part a bolts to part b with bolt c to support part d kind of thing is interesting. No better way to see that than when the ride is racked. I've spent the better part of a night on the midway watching teardown to see what goes where and why it goes there. I dunno if this even begins to explain or if it muddies the waters...

I guess a good way to sum it up is "Big boys like big toys..."[:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy