midway1962
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:13:03 PM
as we remember some of the greats, well i remember ROD he was one of the greats, he knew his stuff, his daughter JOCELE was one of my best friends, i learned alot from that show, and met sooo many good people, i was there when R.A.S. and LINK were togehter for 1982 season, i got to meet CJ.3RD as well as mike and laura, hymie, john campy pete andrews, it was a real big deal as 2 of the most powerfull shows 2 do a combined route, you no a lot of shows are doing it now, but remember there not the first and won't be the last, these 2 great show familey's had this idea way back then ''' and it worked, if anybody out there remembers let's chat about, the greats will always be rememberd.
FOOD AND FUN
Carl LeMay
Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:09:16 PM
We were not so great at the start of the 82 season; we had just come off the train show and converted our equipment to a road show. The transition was very difficult for the family and the few of us that were left. Our spirit was a little on the low side at the beginning of the 82 season because we had left one of the very unique symbols that filled us with so much pride and at home... the train and our muscle had scattered in the wind. We were already tired leaving winter quarters as this was as hard of a job as we had ever done to date at that time. What was created through the years had been re-worked and re-racked in 6 months to make Davenport and continued well into the season.
We had to deal with the rumors that it was over, we had been bought out, our train had been condemned on so on but we took it. There was only about 6-10 of us or so left in winter quarters and Chuck Bodle, CJIII, Charlie G. Jules Catarzi, Wayne Jones and us worked some long days. It was like a 6 month tear down and set up in the rain it was a mess but we did it. I was in the paint shop when Jim moody was brought in to help us paint some of the trucks and I sprayed so much paint that year it was incredible.
By the time we got into the big spots we were doing pretty good and the show looked good plus by the end of the 82 season were doing a lot better as we worked out quite a few bugs, we had learned to move a truck show, we had a new crew despite all the transition problems at the start we were feeling much better. The best part and the bottom line through the combined efforts of both shows we had put on a great show were ever we played.

Carl LeMay
RAS 1979-95
J-bird
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:14:40 PM
Whatever happened to the Link Shows? Did they go out of business or sold to someone and renamed? Just wondering.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, April 12, 2005 8:38:21 PM
Rod Died in 1993 and as I understand it, the majority of the show went to Jon Stine ( Stine Amusements) now Smoky Mnt. Amus. The larger HUSS rides and State Fairs went to Wade shows.
mamma teena
Sunday, April 24, 2005 3:41:36 PM
"Big Rod" Loved and Missed
Always, Mamma

Always,Mamma
"With It...For It... Love It...Live It"
orphaned
Monday, April 25, 2005 10:46:42 AM
But didn't Stine buy out Childress? So how much more did he get when Link died? Or was Stine already in business for himself then? Which happened first?
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, April 25, 2005 12:39:12 PM
Bossman
Monday, April 25, 2005 3:04:23 PM
Jon Stine had two units at the time of his death..One unit was the old Link Shows, equipment and it's northern route..Jon also purchased the Childress Show, equipment and southern route..SMA still has two units, but does not play the northern route and now both SMA units play NC, SC and GA and combine at the larger spots..
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, April 25, 2005 3:55:43 PM
Jon never recovered from heart surgery.
UserPostedImage
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, April 25, 2005 4:02:20 PM
Jon Stine was a really nice guy.His whole family has had some characters.
orphaned
Tuesday, April 26, 2005 5:14:24 AM
OK...thanks Bossman. That clears up the confusion I had.
txoilfieldtrash
Friday, April 29, 2005 3:28:10 AM
We was on the World of Pleasure Shows which was Greg's unit for almost 12 years. Then Dad was a unit manager for Rod on his 3rd unit. I grew up on that show as a teenager. We was on Gooding Amusemnts way back when Bus and Betty Weekly was the unit manager for Mr.Gooding. Now Dad is a unit manager for Frankie on the Wade Shows. I have been out of the business for about 15 years now. And presently working as a oilfield consultant on deepwater projects in the Gulf of Mexico.
One thing for sure my family are true carnies not the new age generation to the business. I will have to say my Dad is one of the best lot men you will ever see period. The other thing is I have never forgot where i came from. I still have carny blood in my body and will never forget where I came from......Kevin Jones
Skywheelrider
Friday, May 6, 2005 9:54:07 PM
Welcome to MCW Kevin. Corky mentioned you had posted here, and I kept forgetting to take a look. He is a heckuva guy, spent the past four weeks with him. Enjoyed it.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
mamma teena
Tuesday, May 31, 2005 6:42:57 AM
[:D]Corky was my boss way back in 77 when i worked with Links... I worked Mini-Ball and then a Ballon-T-Shirt joint....
Always Mamma Teena
Always,Mamma
"With It...For It... Love It...Live It"
itsapartytx
Wednesday, May 19, 2021 12:27:30 PM
I traveled state fairs with link shows From 73-75 worked the glass Nickle pitch for tony sandlin. Great guys I was only 14. And rod and everyone made sure I was ok from state to state. I went by the name Gary Miller. At the time. Out of Detroit mi. And south for winters. Anyone remember Tony sandlin.