skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Friday, January 28, 2005 8:32:30 PM
How in the world did people fit inside those small cages?? LOL I mean, how did people ride the Turbo without being cramped up in those cages? They for sure look small, but Scott Pennington told me about some history on it once, but i forgot what he said about it. I know the wheels spun opposite from one another, yet was curious about what the inside of the cages looked like, does anyone here have pictures what they looked like inside and how riders sat in them? Thanks for any info. ....not building a model of it, just was curious about the insides of the gondolas/cages, as i had never seen what the insides of them look like.

~Ben
MikeH
  •  MikeH
  • 50.24% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, January 28, 2005 9:01:39 PM
The inside always reminded me of the way you sit in a zipper,but you have someone right across from you.It seemed to me like one of those rides that are more puke inducing than they look.Like the Kiddie Umbrella Ride[:)]
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, January 29, 2005 2:59:23 AM
They were big enough to sit 2 side by side. There was a padded lap bar that folded in just like the Zipper, almost the same seating just not as deep. It made you feel like the cage was right in your face. When they flipped the seats would roll you face down, on your head, on your back, sideways, etc....this ride actually flipped you in more directions than anything before or since except maybe the Power Surge. I always felt like if Chance put seats like the Power Surge on the Turbo they might get it down to 1 trailer making it something people might want again.
My albums are all on Facebook!
Prof. Lee Kolozsy
Saturday, January 29, 2005 3:43:54 AM
The concept for this classic ride occurred to Harold Chance after a visit to the laundromat...
Prof.
Why stir it...
when you can fling it directly into the fan...

HUSSRAINBOW
Saturday, January 29, 2005 5:13:32 AM
wow, ours comes back on the scene this year..... will have to try it!
is it as bad as Zipper, even though i like zipper
UserPostedImage
punkboysa18
Saturday, January 29, 2005 5:54:34 AM
I always heard the ride is VERY intese. I have a video of it I downloaded... I think the link was posted here a long time ago. The wheels spin in both directions. I think the video was from Amusement Rides Extravanganza.
cny_chris
Saturday, January 29, 2005 6:01:22 AM
Just checked, that video is no longer available. It gave a good perspective on how the ride operates.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
skydiver77
  •  skydiver77
  • 66.38% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Saturday, January 29, 2005 12:15:57 PM
Sounds like the Turbo cages didn't have alot of room in them. I'd feel like i'd have more room in the Sky Diver car or Rock-o-Plane cage. It looks like it was a fun ride though. Is there a Chance Turbo somewhere out there still running i might could get a ride on?

~Ben
HUSSRAINBOW
Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:50:03 PM
Unfortunetly that video didnt give the full experience of the ride, it gets a bit more intense than that, but still was good. That turbo is currently being refurbished, and should be back on the circuit this year!
cant wait, and expect to see a video of course haha
UserPostedImage
Don E. Kerr
Sunday, January 30, 2005 5:43:40 AM
Well the Chance Turbo was actually designed by Jerry Barber, of Sunbelt capital fame. The Ride was originally called the Raven, and had open tubs. I cant speak for who came up with the cages, might very well have been Harold Chance.

Don E. Kerr
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, January 30, 2005 6:44:53 AM
I saw Jerry Barber and his partner sloughing the prototype ride in Maumee, Ohio with Gooding Amuse. Co. probably in the late 60's-early 70's.
They had some trouble folding the sweeps at that time. The tubs were gondola shaped. open, but I believe the ride was named the Caravele at that ime.

Very unique trailer but I was told that that style is common to oil rigs.
UserPostedImage
squirrel
Sunday, January 30, 2005 8:29:16 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Just checked, that video is no longer available. It gave a good perspective on how the ride operates.

The video is now available in two formats from my servers. The files can be found here (two formats):
Converted Version - DivX v5.1+ Format  - 11.5mb
Converted Version - MPEG1 (VCD Format)  - 18.3mb

The DivX format will play best if you try to resize to full screen mode as it has been encoded with extra information for the resizing. MPEG(VCD) format does not support the resizing extras so it will not be as clear at larger sizes.

NOTES: If you are unable to play any of these movies then you will need to update your video codecs and/or change video players. There is a codec pack here that I have used in the past and not had problems with: Cole2k Media . I use BSPlayer  for my videos and movies -- much less overhead than Windows Media Player with alot fewer bugs too (and still plays WMV/ASF plus all the others if you have the codecs installed).

PM me if you have any download problems --

Patrick McGuire
Thursday, February 3, 2005 4:52:33 PM
HussRainbow, what city does the refurbished Turbo going to play in? I might consider a trip from California to Australia if I could see and ride this turbo maybe later this year.
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net
HUSSRAINBOW
Thursday, February 3, 2005 8:28:35 PM
The Turbo, which is owned by a family who travels from Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide, Melbourne and other various small shows. Their name is BELLS and they keep their rides in fantastic condition!
Im not sure yet if the ride will be on show this year, as it has been ungoing a major refurbishment, but the first Major show of the year starts in March, so Ill let you know then, and keep you updated!

chris
UserPostedImage
Patrick McGuire
Saturday, February 5, 2005 12:02:52 PM
Chris,

Thanks. The photo of this ride looks fantastic. This is only 1 of 2 rides that I have been seeking for years to ride and video tape. The other is the Hrubitz Meteor which I may be able to see this year as well as there is 1 operating in the south. I have never traveled outside the United States before but seeing this Turbo in action would be well worth it for me to come to Australia. If I do come I would like to meet you and maybe we can visit it together.
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net