Matthew
Friday, January 28, 2005 5:50:21 PM
Never thought of that but now that I know it does make sense. Never seen the Rainbow or Ranger get stuck.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by HUSSRAINBOW

The main reason Rainbow and Ranger have it is because, if the ride becomes stuck at the top, because of the Hydrolic fluid not pumping properly, you need to get men down there to push the flagpole, and make the gondola come down. Huss also advise, that if you are unable to push it, you are to get a chain and pull the ride like that. It is essential as soon as the ride begins to move, that all people are away from the ride, as you know why......

Chris

HUSSRAINBOW
Friday, January 28, 2005 6:21:32 PM
neither did I, but I read it in a part of the setup process from HUSS, and thought it was pretty amazing!
the flagpole is pretty huge closup, heres a photo:

UserPostedImage

chris
UserPostedImage
skydiver77
Saturday, January 29, 2005 12:46:02 PM
That's a flagpole? wow, after all these years i never knew that. Yeah, i get VERY excited too, when i see the Rainbow cloud over the top of a building. LOL 🙂 When on the way to check in to the Yachtsman Hotel down at Myrtle Beach, dad always cruises by the Pavilion to see what's happening, and just before we get there, you can see the Rainbow sometimes moving and you see the gondola over a building, it's awesome to see it running sticking up over those buildings, when you haven't seen it in about a year or two. lol (: Their Rainbow runs fast too, and Ken McMichael that lives down there said they've started adding seatbelts to the Rainbow. Let's see, yeah, i think last summer i rode it with the seatbelts on the gondola.

But, while the gondola started to go into the sky, i took my belt off, lol. No sense in a Rainbow having seatbelts, that way you can't get the "airtime"....the floating feeling the ride gives you when dropping over the other side. The Rainbow doesn't sit far from the Carousel at the Pavilion, and it looks as if you're going to hit it down below sort of, yet just does miss the top of the Carousel. I've never seen a Rainbow get stuck either, but did see the Pavilion one hot summer, after i woke up one morning, i walked down to the Pavilion and saw them doing maintenance on the Rainbow before the Pavilion opened at 1 pm that day.

The Rainbow was going super slow, and they stopped the gondola on the very top, they were checking that flag pole possibly, or the lights behind the cloud down below...not sure what they were doing. What i wonder is if they check the motor sometimes to make sure everything is well, and how in the world does the ride run by sitting on just that 1 pole that holds up the whole ride & motor?? It looks like Huss would've added outrigger posts, similar to the Pirates' that holds up the ship & whole ride.

What i mean is, Huss should've added outriggers, welded them to the large pole that is under the motor & holds up the whole ride. Doesn't that put alot of stress on that pole?? That thing must be made out of something super strong to withstand that g-force and all that weight, my goodness!

~Ben
HUSSRAINBOW
Saturday, January 29, 2005 8:48:03 PM
Why would it need out riggers, the ride is stable.... its not going to fall over or anything.
Our Rainbow has seatbelts, but just like dodgem car ones, so u still get the 100% airtime!

UserPostedImage
Matthew
Sunday, January 30, 2005 1:45:34 AM
The design of the Rainbow and Ranger is an interesting one and it's very stable. Yes that long bar is all that holds up the boom but I don't know if the hydrolic cylinder on the portable models does anything for a bit of extra support. The four outriggers on the trailer do their job nicely, even with Faller's model of the Rainbow. When the ride is in operation, the boom does sway a little bit. It's hard to notice unless you're very close to it.
HUSSRAINBOW
Sunday, January 30, 2005 1:57:12 AM
A mate told me, that if Ranger isnt operated properly, it can cause the main arm to sway a bit, this isn't too good for the ride, as the ride shouldnt be doing that, and being operated correctly!

chris
UserPostedImage
Matthew
Tuesday, February 1, 2005 11:43:11 AM
I don't think you can operate the Rainbow or Ranger not properly. The controls for them are fairly advanced and the weight between the gondola and counterweights is pretty good. Different story for the Kamikaze.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by HUSSRAINBOW

A mate told me, that if Ranger isnt operated properly, it can cause the main arm to sway a bit, this isn't too good for the ride, as the ride shouldnt be doing that, and being operated correctly!

chris

HUSSRAINBOW
Tuesday, February 1, 2005 7:57:52 PM
It can definetly be operated incorrectly. One of the hydrolic motors even got damaged from the ride being incorrectly operated at Luna Park in Sydney, so yeah it can happen!

Chris
UserPostedImage
JustinJames
Thursday, February 3, 2005 3:37:18 PM
On our Rainbow (Wade) you use the reverse direction to stop the ride about 1/4 past the station and use the stop when it starts to come back. If you just hit stop at full speed its a little rough LOL.
Matthew
Friday, February 4, 2005 3:07:13 PM
Conklin always ran their Rainbow by one of the automatic programs so it wasn't manually run. It would do twelve rotations and on the last rotation you could tell that it was the end of the ride with the brakes kicking in doing the quarter round and then slowly returning to the platform.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

On our Rainbow (Wade) you use the reverse direction to stop the ride about 1/4 past the station and use the stop when it starts to come back. If you just hit stop at full speed its a little rough LOL.