cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 8:26:15 PM
What does MCW think was the biggest carnival news event of 2004? This is your chance to determine exactly that. Follow the link and vote....

Link:

http://www.carnivalwarehouse.co.../topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7855 

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
orphaned
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 2:28:21 AM
Well, knowing that most people probably won't go to the poll site and post or read, I'm posting my opinion here too.

Looks like the NAME merger has the lead, but I didn't vote for it and here is why.

I think the name merger is indeed big news....but overall I rank it second on my list. Here's why. I think it will be THE BIG story of 2005. Right now, it's basically just a plan and has really not had a major effect on the industry. Therefore, although it is big news, it's bigger story is yet to be revealed.

I think the biggest story of 2004 is the disappearance of AB. I mean, after 50 plus years of being about THE ONLY news source for the showman on a regular, weekly basis it is now gone. This publication was held in such esteem, many called it the Showmen's Bible....and now, unless a showman has internet access, it has become very difficult to get information on what's going on out there.

You'd be surprised the number of show owners I speak to on a fairly regular basis and one of the first things they ask is "What are you hearing and what's the news?" They miss the "Jackpots" section and the "On The Earie" section and yes, even the stories about their shows, those of their competitors and shows they never see.

So while I agree that NAME is indeed a big development, its effect in 2004 has been nominal since it mainly occured at the end of the year. However, with that said, I have no doubt it will lead the way in 2005.

BTW, I am gonna sue MCW and CNY for RICO! The poll isn't counting my vote. I think it's rigged. RIIICCCOOOO RRRRRIIIICCCOOOOO I CRY! LMAO.

For what it's worth, my ranking of the top 5 and reasoning looks like this...if anyone cares. If not, skip on. LOL

1. AB Switching from weekly to monthly/electronic - see above.

2. NAME merger - For obvious reasons but it has had little effect in
2004. I look at this as being the big story in '05.
EVERYONE will be closely following this.

3. The Ohio Electrocution Sentencing - This has set a new precedent.
Sure, B&B got held responsible for the Himalaya
tragedy a few years back, but, this one trickled
down and there were many people held responsible.
Although in the end, Gene Chaffee took the brunt of
it because an 80 year old fair board electrician
decided to use a little "southern engineering".

4. The Sizzler/Gravitron Accidents - shut both very popular rides
down on midways across America. For some small
shows, these are among their highest grossing rides
and they could not run the pieces until Wisdom and
inspectors figured out what the problems were.

5. NCSF Sentencing/Reithoffer Bid Win/Strates RICO suit - Probably
the biggest single controversy of the past couple of
years and maybe of the decade.
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:21:47 AM
The Scrambler incident will in the long run impact this business more then any other story according to show owners my wife has talked to. IMHO, the NAME thing won't mean much in the long run. The carnival business isn't the kind of business that can be run like a big corporation from an office. It's a hands on business. How many big shows own their own joints? None, and it's next to impossible to pull it off. Joint managers? My Daddy used to say, "If he has the brains to run your operation, he'll have his own." The carnival business is the carnival business. Mark my words, if they try to own everything, in a few years they will be struggling to book joints just like all the other shows. That is if the guy from Ticketmaster doesn't bail before that wondering who counted his money and where it went. Think about it, what chance does a sucker have letting carnies have first count? This is just my opinion and I could be wrong but 45 years of making a living with carnies tells me I'm not.

Lets be serious now. Second place goes to Hurley. It takes a special man to give up his life to sit at a computer 24/7 except when he goes on one of his road trips. Way to go Chris. You're my hero.
Sixcats have nine lives
orphaned
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:25:17 AM
I think you make some very valid points about the NAME operation, Sixcat. I've also heard that the man at the top can be very hard to get along with...so one has to wonder what might happen when there's a kink in the chain so to speak.
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 8:39:07 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

I think you make some very valid points about the NAME operation, Sixcat. I've also heard that the man at the top can be very hard to get along with...so one has to wonder what might happen when there's a kink in the chain so to speak.

Exactly!
Sixcats have nine lives
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 10:01:41 AM
Sixcat: Lets be serious now. Second place goes to Hurley. It takes a special man to give up his life to sit at a computer 24/7 except when he goes on one of his road trips. Way to go Chris. You're my hero.

Lol Sixcat, thanks. But not 24/7, I mean, I gotta sleep sometime. [;)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Boils The Clown
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 10:46:17 AM
Here's my brief words if your too lazy to find your way over their & read my thoughts.

If we are talking about in the carnival field..... it's a toss up of Gene C. going bye byes or I ,Boils, reaching out to the many more fans , workers , carnival show owners, (especially), etc. & etc....by my grand arrival .

If we are talking about online wise (In Which I still Thank Matt C. For adding.)........I Simply think that the biggest carnival related news has got to be Boils The Clown making his big appearence here & holding a title for one of the biggest topics. In anycase, their was a new section added to MCW from the snowball effect.

Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 11:47:30 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Sixcat: Lets be serious now. Second place goes to Hurley. It takes a special man to give up his life to sit at a computer 24/7 except when he goes on one of his road trips. Way to go Chris. You're my hero.

Lol Sixcat, thanks. But not 24/7, I mean, I gotta sleep sometime. [;)]

I think you sleep with your puter. [;)]
Sixcats have nine lives
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 12:32:29 PM
Hey Boils, read the topic again....BIGGEST Carnival News Event of 2004. [;)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Boils The Clown
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 1:42:38 PM
Right I did ! .......My FunHouse is a carnival event that was during the 2004 season.
UserPostedImage
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:11:15 PM
Boils....BIGGEST, not smallest.... lol
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 5:22:24 PM
Quit hijacking my topic, clown boy![}:)][}:)] lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Boils The Clown
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 8:36:28 PM
LOL.......Sorry I didn't realize I meant so much.
UserPostedImage
Boils The Clown
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 8:39:46 PM
Quote:

quote:

Please read my post again if need be ........ I did say Biggest. [;)]
UserPostedImage
gruelurks
Wednesday, December 22, 2004 9:11:44 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Boils The Clown

Quote:

quote:

Please read my post again if need be ........ I did say Biggest. [;)]

Boils, my friend, you forgot to append "Annoyance" to the end of your statement of fact. [:D]