ridesicknsc
Monday, December 6, 2004 10:20:54 AM
I cleaned my models about two weeks ago for the first time in months. I just hadn't had time to clean them until then. There was about a quarter inch of dust on them, in them, everywhere. Cleaning the outer surfaces is easy, but inside them is hard. And it seems that every time I clean them, something usually breaks and I have to fix it.

I have to take all the horses off my IHC merry-go-round to get the platform and center clean. I lost several people off the horses when I cleaned this time and had to glue them back. Cleaning inside the ferris wheel sweeps is a major operation. I also broke a rod on a Swinger seat and a support under the Thunder Bolt doghouse. It's just no fun cleaning model rides.

So how do you keep yours clean? Do you have any secrets you'd care to share?
crazyspin
Monday, December 6, 2004 10:29:30 AM
I generally use a compresor to blow off the dust and Q-tips and a small amount of rubbing alcohol to clean it.
BSA Mike
Monday, December 6, 2004 11:05:28 AM
i do the same as cspin - the rubbing alcohol, i just use the Q-Tips and wipe the dust out...
crazyspin
Monday, December 6, 2004 11:18:26 AM
Make sure you use 70% alcohol NOT 91%. The 91% can sometimes take of the Paint.
2ndgencarnie
Monday, December 6, 2004 3:01:53 PM
I usually dip them in the toilet.[:D]
korny_carny
Monday, December 6, 2004 3:04:10 PM
i use a qtip and water.. but i hardly ever clean them
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, December 6, 2004 3:17:39 PM
I have pretty good luck cleaning models with a soft brush I found in a dollar store. I think they use them for makeup like eye shadow or something.

Bigger problem I'd occasionally seen is when dampness discolors parts of a ride, particularly paper or posterboard parts. Repainting or reconstruction is the final solution to that one. I remember repainting a scratchbuilt Scrambler the night before a big show.

Model maintenance is much like running a real show. Cleaning, painting, relubrication, rebuilding.

Now, we could get into the cat stories too. I have a few of those that some of you have already seen.
HUSSRAINBOW
Monday, December 6, 2004 3:36:57 PM
Good ideas guys, I havent cleaned mine in a while, im more worried at the moment where im going to put Freefall and Flipper :|
UserPostedImage
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, December 7, 2004 2:32:41 AM
This is a good question. I just took one of my two Sky Wheel models, the older of the two, and "refurbished" it with new "lights" and paint, and fixed a couple of broken pieces, but the dust was terrible, I gotta get better at keeping my models clean. If I don't, I'll end up having a dirty, rag-bag looking show. lol I like the brush idea, I will try it out.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Carnie_Joe930
Tuesday, December 7, 2004 3:17:43 AM
I use a can of computer cleaner. It's compressed air in a spray can and comes with one of those little plastic tubes(like WD-40 has)and can go in tight places.
ridesicknsc
Tuesday, December 7, 2004 4:29:30 AM
Great ideas everybody! I'll try some of them next time I clean my show!

Hey 2ndgencarny: Do you flush the toilet? [:p][:D]
crazyspin
Tuesday, December 7, 2004 6:49:06 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Carnie_Joe930

I use a can of computer cleaner. It's compressed air in a spray can and comes with one of those little plastic tubes(like WD-40 has)and can go in tight places.

Hey Joe, I didn't know you had models!
orphaned
Tuesday, December 7, 2004 7:16:31 AM
Gasoline and a blow torch usually does the trick for me.....or, just smear 'em with some KY Jelly. (Those of you who hang out in mIRC chat knew that was coming, didn't ya?)
2ndgencarnie
Tuesday, December 7, 2004 3:55:53 PM
well of course I flush, but you must remember to give a courtesy flush for others who might be in the path.[;)]
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, December 7, 2004 8:03:36 PM
I use Q-Tips as well, avoiding using alcohol. I find that anything that involves moisture, even the compressed air cans can have moisture and can create havoc. I cleaned my Sky Diver a while back, never cleaning it prior to then and it was a 3 hour job. You should start at the top, work, downward, and then clean the trailer last. Once the trailer is cleaned, remove the ride from the base if it has one, and vacuum the dust off the base. The only disadvantage I had with Q Tips is that fiber would often get snagged and pulled off on the sweeps and lights. Other than that, it worked great.
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam