Keith
Saturday, November 6, 2004 4:22:55 PM
Very interesting to read about the Saturn 6!
Skywheelrider
Saturday, November 6, 2004 4:29:04 PM
Wow, nice bit of history and insight there RRSHOW. Thanks for sharing that.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
IndianaTED
Saturday, November 6, 2004 7:08:59 PM
I only saw two Saturn Sixes ever. One, with Johnny's United Shows in the mid 70s, which was colored the same as the one in the RAS photos...White Tower with pale green and yellow trim. However, JUSs Saturn Six had "cars" that were white with pale green bottoms. The RAS "cars" were all yellow, I believe.

The only other Saturn Six I saw...well it had to be one of the most unfortunate choice of colors I have ever seen. It was on Drew Expo's midway and it was painted brown and orange. Only saw that one once, probably around '78, give or take a year.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, November 6, 2004 7:15:00 PM
There was a Saturn Six that traveled here in Michigan with Double D Amusements in the Spring of 2002, I saw it set up twice, but never ran. Interestingly, it ended up at a storage yard a few miles from where I work, a place where they also build concession trailers, and it is still there today (well, was as of a month or so ago).

I recall riding a Saturn Six with Wade Shows in the late 1970's, painted white/blue/red (I think, I would have been 6/7/8 years old and seeing one at the Michigan State Fair as well, the last time being 1983. Although that one in 1983 at the state fair was painted black and orange.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
J-bird
Saturday, November 6, 2004 8:01:25 PM
I too want to truly thank you for these great photos. What I'd give to have visited RAS back then. From the pics, it looks like they really were the world's largest midway.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 7, 2004 4:03:48 AM
My question to all this is, if Clyde Mulligan invented the "Saturn 6" how then did Frank Hrubetz end up producing the "Hurricane"?
Skywheelrider
Sunday, November 7, 2004 4:57:55 AM
Two different rides. The Hurricane was originally produced by the Allan Herschell Company, and looked like the Saturn Six, and they both were the same in that the tubs did not "level out" parallel to the ground as the Hurricane (and now Downdraft) does.

This is a photo of a model Allan Herschell Hurricane built by Warren Renauld, I initally mistook it for a Saturn Six and he corrected me:

http://www.rmmridemodels...otos/pages/Hurricane.htm 

http://pg.photos.yahoo.c...dnm=3320.jpg&.src=ph  .

Rockowheel
Sunday, November 7, 2004 8:14:56 AM
--I dont think they removed it yet, but there has been an operating Saturn 6 on NY's Coney Island on the Bowery near where the Jumbo Jet coaster once stood...
Keith
Sunday, November 7, 2004 11:30:17 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

My question to all this is, if Clyde Mulligan invented the "Saturn 6" how then did Frank Hrubetz end up producing the "Hurricane"?

Canadian, Norman Barlett invented the Hurricane and Flying Coaster.
Steck & Stapf booked g/m one on Conklin.
Mulligan produced the fold down t/m Saturn 6 version.

Hrubetz Hurricane was pnematic. Perhaps patents ran out and Frank Hrubetz jumped on it. Just a guess! Good question!
Dan L.
  •  Dan L.
  • 60.96% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, November 7, 2004 12:55:58 PM
2 pics of newspaper clippings I found yesterday in a box. The year was 1977 and RAS was playing the Arkansas Livestock Show. In the first shot the midway is packed! The other is the paratrooper.

http://community.webshot...08195116/213271172kPGgwL 

http://community.webshot...08195116/213270869sFqztw 
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 7, 2004 2:27:02 PM
Conklin had a "Hurricane" which looked like a Saturn Six at the CNE and possibly at Crystal Beach Park in the early 70's. The tower did not have sheet metal on it however. I may have a photo somewhere but if I do it's on a slide. When I dig out the '73 or '74 slides I'll look for it. If I find it I can scan it & post in Webshots.

Bill P.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.72% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, November 18, 2004 3:33:45 PM
There was a Saturn Six with Strates from 1969-1982 or 83.
jb
  •  jb
  • 51.84% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Friday, November 19, 2004 2:27:19 PM
Richard Vinson Had a Saturn 6, sold it. Suttons had one. Frank Sutton told me he sold it because it scared him. And I remember Myers had one back in the mid 70s. Next time I talk to Bobby Myers & Richard Vinson, Ill ask them who they sold their Saturn 6's to.,