butterfly in reverse
Sunday, November 14, 2004 5:23:13 AM
For the most part Safety Meetings on my show are my responsibility. I am wondering if anyone may have some fresh ideas for keeping them interactive and making them more fun, with safety still a priority. If you are going to suggest games, be specific please, because I feel we have about done em all...
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” ~Mark Twain
Missin it
Sunday, November 14, 2004 5:56:27 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by butterfly in reverse

For the most part Safety Meetings on my show are my responsibility. I am wondering if anyone may have some fresh ideas for keeping them interactive and making them more fun, with safety still a priority. If you are going to suggest games, be specific please, because I feel we have about done em all...

how about poker? or maybe even a quick round of Trivial Pursuit?[:D]
you did say specific didn't you
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, November 14, 2004 5:58:33 AM
Games? Give some details. That sounds cool.

We have them every Wed. night after we close. We cover 3 topics and then hand out the pays. The whole process takes about 15 minutes. That way we don't Normally we pick the topics but every now and then we'll have the help pick what they want to cover. Sometimes it's safety related, sometimes it's work related.

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

Missin it
Sunday, November 14, 2004 6:01:49 AM
Hoffa, no poker? On a serious note Hoffa, I need to get in touch in regards to GDS. PM me with the best way for you, I don't wann discuss in the board.
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

butterfly in reverse
Monday, November 15, 2004 11:57:31 AM
Well, we have done Family Feud. It takes a little more organization than the others. We do charades, and pictionary. We usually end up mixing those 2 together. I write down all of our operation rules, like "never leave operator controls while ride is in motion." or "Never lift or carry a patron.", etc... I buy a big poster sized tablet for drawing and large markers, and usually they will draw it out, and the guesser wins candy bars or points or whatever we have decided on. If they feel they can't draw it, they have the option of acting it out. The most fun is when you run out of volunteers and the help insists on seeing a supervisor take a turn. Our ride sup chose to act out the rule about not drinking alcohol on a day the show will be open. It makes meetings more interactive. We also do things like buying gift certificates from Wal Mart and letting the help vote on who they think is the safest operator on the show, and then we award them the gift certificate at the meeting.
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” ~Mark Twain
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, November 15, 2004 12:37:00 PM
This is probably the best bonfide show topic to arise here and I would expect the lurkers to jump in with some interaction to let the Ken Martins of the world know that this business has its act together. This is an excellant opportunity for for every ma and pa +++ to pipe in in response to safety issues.

So far there are 2 shows showing a pofessional response, you can't do this on the AB site. Anyone else know how to use a keyboard?
UserPostedImage
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, November 15, 2004 1:00:34 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

This is probably the best bonfide show topic to arise here and I would expect the lurkers to jump in with some interaction to let the Ken Martins of the world know that this business has its act together. This is an excellant opportunity for for every ma and pa +++ to pipe in in response to safety issues.

So far there are 2 shows showing a pofessional response, you can't do this on the AB site. Anyone else know how to use a keyboard?

i agree 100% this is a great topic!! i am sure any input would benifit everybody in this industry.......
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
gruelurks
Monday, November 15, 2004 1:20:22 PM
Definately.

We used to have some pretty decent safety meetings on Pugh involving videos and reps from various insurance and safety companies.

We also had Johny Hodgson walking around too, which helped most jocks keep an eye on the ride, lol.
butterfly in reverse
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 2:58:45 AM
I do occasionally bust out a video as well, as there are certain topics where I feel I may not be qualified enough to be an authority in the area we are covering. I have found some great videos through the insurance company about ride inspection, as well as lockout/tagout, and fire prevention, that sort of thing. We'll just get a coffee urn, maybe some popcorn and settle in for a group movie experience. This week, as a matter of fact, I am planning on making our own training video. We may just do one scene at a time, but I would like to get the help involved and make a video of all of our op rules and have it to show next year at the meetings.
Pinetar, I certainly do wish this topic got more response than it seems to be.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 4:09:47 AM
I like the idea of making a video of setup procedures, especially since a vhs/cd/dvd is so easy to make today. Sharing such video links here would be smart. This topic can't hurt a showman competitively, it is a good opportunity to break the ice. Most trade publications have serious interaction.
UserPostedImage
Missin it
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 5:28:46 AM
my apologies for goffing on a truly good topic
V. Boombotz

squirrel
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 6:00:25 AM
Quote:

quote:

If you would like, I will forward you a copy of the operational procedures I wrote for GAS/GAC if that might give you some ideas...
butterfly in reverse
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 8:23:12 AM
Anything helps, just don't put yourself out over it. You can send to my email (safetychick04@yahoo.com) or you can pm me if you have it on paper and would prefer to "send" it. I appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or constructive comments. Thanks so much.
squirrel
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 9:00:53 AM
Quote:

quote:

Anything helps, just don't put yourself out over it. You can send to my email (safetychick04@yahoo.com) or you can pm me if you have it on paper and would prefer to "send" it. I appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or constructive comments. Thanks so much.

I have it in PDF format (requires Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or better) but I can email it to you. It's no big deal, I already wrote it long ago, but it covers alot of 'midway common sense' that few people in the industry ever exhibit.
butterfly in reverse
Tuesday, November 16, 2004 9:55:27 AM
I appreciate that. Send it along. Thanks.