lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, November 9, 2004 3:25:27 PM
anybody have any pics from that show. i started with that show in the seventies but was too busy smokin pot and getting in trouble to save any pics or memorabilia.had alot of fun on that show.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
Stormy
Tuesday, November 9, 2004 6:22:21 PM
Here's a link to dcvader's webshots album of Dell and Travers...

http://community.webshots.com/album/69044164GRIcEt 

Also, I believe there were a few pics of the show in Carnival magazine a few months ago.

UserPostedImage

britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, November 11, 2004 7:20:27 AM
that was one great show for a single unit show. they had the best route on the east coast of any carnival i know. all good ones. they had what was needed for the route. himi, skywheel, diver and all the other popular majors of that time. the fairs were not state fairs but good fairs. we tried for many years to get them to play our fair but there was no opening as their fall route did not change. we would go over to the old fayetteville fairgrounds and wish for a carnival of that statue. then the show was sold, paul theodore had it with murphy and strates i think, changed name to olympic expositions, went to south america and left a lot of the equipment there, and it was downhill from there. actually paul offered to play us then but then we did not want them as it was not the same show. hey lotman, would you post the spots that they had. i think here in the carolinas they had hickory, goldsboro, fayetteville, orangeburg, high point(no longer a fair), gaithersburg maryland and i cannot remember the others.
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
Thursday, November 11, 2004 4:32:49 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by britt

that was one great show for a single unit show. they had the best route on the east coast of any carnival i know. all good ones. they had what was needed for the route. himi, skywheel, diver and all the other popular majors of that time. the fairs were not state fairs but good fairs. we tried for many years to get them to play our fair but there was no opening as their fall route did not change. we would go over to the old fayetteville fairgrounds and wish for a carnival of that statue. then the show was sold, paul theodore had it with murphy and strates i think, changed name to olympic expositions, went to south america and left a lot of the equipment there, and it was downhill from there. actually paul offered to play us then but then we did not want them as it was not the same show. hey lotman, would you post the spots that they had. i think here in the carolinas they had hickory, goldsboro, fayetteville, orangeburg, high point(no longer a fair), gaithersburg maryland and i cannot remember the others.

you are right. they had the best route on the east coast. danny was rock solid with his spots. nobody could steal them. his route very seldom changed. we would open in fayetteville area for a month, then move north to the baltimore wash metro area, fort belvoir, groveton sub station,duke st, theives market,malss and shopping ctrs,then st. micheals church levittown pa. my freind david horn will tell you there was 2or3 girls for every guy there.bedford, butler fair,cumberland md you forgot manassas va, another great fair. in the carolinas i think they also played statesville, and half the show would finish in loris or laurens sc. now remember i stated i was smoking a lot of pot in those days, over 30 years ago , so if i missed afew you got to cut me some slack. great great show. i had already left before theodore bought the show. it went down hill fast after that.
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
wweg
  •  wweg
  • 52.12% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Wednesday, November 17, 2004 4:30:49 PM
Steve did they play Fredricksburg, VA also?

By the way I do have a picture of D&T with an unidntified bigguy with a pony tail (looks kinda gay). Any idea who that is?

wweg
  •  wweg
  • 52.12% (Neutral)
  • Operations
Wednesday, November 17, 2004 4:35:18 PM
By the way, Wasn't the D& T route largely just the John Mark's route? Did Danny add many spots or mostly just keep what Mr. Marks had built up? I think that is the case
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, November 18, 2004 9:55:32 AM
Steve, that is an era that we'll never see again. What a great show. Bet you didn't know that Danny Dell attended my wedding to my 3rd wife, Linda.
Sixcats have nine lives
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, November 20, 2004 12:55:46 PM
damn six,[:D] how many of them wife's do ya have in the closet that we don't know about !!![}:)]
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
Disney Fan
  •  rhino
  • 64.76% (Friendly)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, November 22, 2004 8:16:48 AM
i saw dell & travers in orangeburg, s.c. in 1977...lotman..was you there that year?
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
Wednesday, November 24, 2004 4:53:29 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by rhino

i saw dell & travers in orangeburg, s.c. in 1977...lotman..was you there that year?

yes i was. that might have been the year that a few of my freinds and i got tossed out of the edisto bar and grill. the juke box was stuck on one song ( rednecks white sox and blue ribbon beer). we didn't quite fit in.

Mark Twain
powersmidways.com