IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, September 19, 2004 7:48:20 AM
Help!

I'm starting to get withdrawl symptoms!

It's been two weeks since I've been on a midway, a month since I was on one of any real size. Anyone know of events/festivals that are going to have a carnival in central IN?

It still blows my mind that the Covered Bridge Festival held in Parke County Indiana or surrounding community doesn't have a carnival during it. The CBF, which last 10 days, has reported in the past an attendance approaching 2 million! That's right!, they claim two MILLION. Even if it is half that, one quarter that, HELL one-tenth that, wouldn't that be an ideal spot for a really good late season date for a GOOD quality Show?

For those of you unfamiliar with the CBF, it runs Oct 8-17 this year in Parke County IN, which is in west central IN. They have the greatest concentration of covered bridges of anyplace in the world. The CBF is held in various locations throughout the county with Rockville being the largest town and they only have around 3000, if that. A much larger spread is found in Mansfield, which anyother time of year, you wouldn't even notice a town being there.

The crowds are huge! I live 12 miles south of Mansfield and cars coming from the interstate (I-70) must pass through here. On the busiest of days, I have seen bumper to bumper traffic over 5 miles long!

So again I ask, why doesn't a carnival set up there, or near there to take advantage of the huge collection of people?
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Sunday, September 19, 2004 8:22:47 AM
covered bridge fest in parke county is the wrong crowd. they are there for the bridges and arts and crafts.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Ryan Russell
Sunday, September 19, 2004 9:35:24 AM
Burton Bros. was just in Sullivan at the Corn Festival this past week.
sausageseller
Sunday, September 19, 2004 12:13:07 PM
Jessop will be in Franklin this weekend. 24&25
i puke on the tilt
Sunday, September 19, 2004 8:19:59 PM
I would think the covered bridge thing would be a good place for a carinval.
You gotta figure that somewhere in that crowd are bored children and/or spouses of the bridge enthusiasts who might like to do something that isn't lame.

Not that bridges and **** are lame. I can just recall about a million places I was dragged to by my parents when I was young that would have definitely benifited from a carinval. [:D]
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
Monday, September 20, 2004 1:26:11 PM
I agree, the CBF probably ins't the place for a carnival. The CBF would not allow a carnival at any of their sites to begin with anyway. My point is why doesn't a community near the CBF, maybe such as my own, have one that has streams of traffic coming and going, morning and early evening.

All the booths shut down around 5 pm daily, we're 20 minutes down the road from there, cars have to come through here to get to the nearest interstate. Seems like if you could get just a couple out of every hundred cars going by to stop, you'd have a hell of a crowd!

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes! Many stop here and get something to eat before hitting the road, it'd be great to have a Show set up in a large parking lot near these fast food restaurants. Of course, local food stands would benefit as well if this were an option for them.

I agree with the previous poster who has issues with the Tilt...LOL...I was dragged by my parents many times to things that were of no interest to me. Eventually, if I whined enough, they usually gave in and did something to pacify me.

I really think this is something that even a Show would pursue to do on their own if enough of them were really educated about this event and the numbers it generates.

You'd think someone would at least give it a try once. To this point, it hasn't even been attempted. Boy, if only I had some rides!
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
barn
  •  barn
  • 50.06% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Monday, September 20, 2004 1:40:58 PM
Having gone down to the CBF many times overa 30 year time span,I dont know if a carnival would go over however with the many flea markets along hwy 41 towards Rockville a few rides might go over at one of these markets
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
Monday, September 20, 2004 2:14:15 PM
Exactly what I'm talking about Barn.

I really think it would at the very least be worth a try once by someone. I can't imagine why any Show of marginal size or slightly bigger wouldn't want to give it a shot.

I know you can't just park your Show trucks and set up shop, but anyone with an adjoining business such as shopping centers and fast food restaurants would welcome cars coming into their lots.

I could be totally wrong and maybe it would fall flat, but I think it is at least worth a try! Why wouldn't you try to take advantage of those kind of numbers? Like I said, get just a couple out of every hundred cars and you have a really nice crowd!
orphaned
Monday, September 20, 2004 3:27:48 PM
May be the case of "too many spots available" and not enough shows on that given week/weekend. If I have a "solid" spot, I wouldnt give it up for an uproven one.