Skywheel1969
Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:41:17 AM
The Illinois State Fair is just 2 weeks away. I was wondering if anyone knew what rides would be on the midway. I have given up on ever seeing/riding a Skywheel (my fav [8D]!), Skydiver, Zyklon, Kamikaze, Toboggan, Enterprise, Rock-O-Plane, Rainbow, and Zipper.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:47:21 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheel1969

The Illinois State Fair is just 2 weeks away. I was wondering if anyone knew what rides would be on the midway. I have given up on ever seeing/riding a Skywheel (my fav [8D]!), Skydiver, Zyklon, Kamikaze, Toboggan, Enterprise, Rock-O-Plane, Rainbow, and Zipper.

You need to come to Michigan and see McDonagh's Amusements, A.J. Carl Shows, Jules & Beck Combined Shows, Mid America Shows, Skerbeck Brothers Shows, Wade Shows, Schmidt Amusements, Elliotts Amusements, Arnold Amusements, and Playworld Amusements or go to Ohio and see Poor Jack Amusements in August.

McDonagh will have their Sky Wheel and Toboggan up in Armada, Michigan. They will also have the Sky Wheel in Minnesota at the State Fair. They will have their huge Zyklon running next week in Cheasning, Michigan.

Mid America Shows will have their Kamikaze (Screamer) up at various spots in Indiana and Michigan, as well as their Zipper.

Skerbeck Brothers Shows, not sure where, but will have their Toboggan up, as well as their Zipper.

Schmidt Amusements will have their Rock-O-Plane up at various spots in Michigan.

A.J. Carl Shows will have their Zipper and A.R.M. Sky Master (Kamikaze clone) up at various spots in Michigan.

Wade Shows will have their Huss Rainbow and Zipper, possibly their Enterprise at the Michigan State Fair the week after next. Their Zyklon coaster will be there. They should also have their A.R.M. Sky Rider (Kamikaze clone) up, not sure exactly where.

Jules & Beck will have their Zipper up and running in Lowell and Belleville in August.

Playworld Amusements will have their Zipper at all of their spots in Michigan.

Arnold Amusements will have their Zipper at various spots in Michigan, as well as their Rock-O-Plane.

Elliotts Amusements will have their Zipper at all of their spots, maybe even their Sky Diver at a spot or two, who knows.

Poor Jack Amusements will have their Sky Wheel up in Lima, Ohio, and maybe Wauseon, Ohio (they did last year, who knows).

I thought there was a Sky Diver in Illinois at the State Fair last year.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
aba
  •  aba
  • 51.2% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:54:54 AM
Tinsley's Skydiver should be at the IL State Fair.
Skywheel1969
Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:58:28 AM
There was a Skydiver there in 2002 but wasn't there last year. When I went to ride on it in 02 I was told I had to have someone ride with me. I had to come back a few days later and bribe a friend to ride it me. I DID turn her into a Skydiver fan and I think she was more disappointed than I was when there was no Skydiver last year!

In my honest opinion, there hasn't been a decent ride line-up since 1989, the last year I ever rode a Skywheel. I rode my first Skyweel in 1978 at age 8 and kept riding it every year (at least 10 times each fair) until 1989. I guess I will just have to settle for all of the fantastic Skywheel pics from Mr. Hurley!
Skywheel1969
Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:58:38 AM
There was a Skydiver there in 2002 but wasn't there last year. When I went to ride on it in 02 I was told I had to have someone ride with me. I had to come back a few days later and bribe a friend to ride it me. I DID turn her into a Skydiver fan and I think she was more disappointed than I was when there was no Skydiver last year!

In my honest opinion, there hasn't been a decent ride line-up since 1989, the last year I ever rode a Skywheel. I rode my first Skyweel in 1978 at age 8 and kept riding it every year (at least 10 times each fair) until 1989. I guess I will just have to settle for all of the fantastic Skywheel pics from Mr. Hurley!
Skywheelrider
Thursday, July 29, 2004 11:07:29 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheel1969

I rode my first Sky Wheel (Link's) when I was about four years old. I distinctly remember it, it was set up at Wonderland Centre in Livonia, Michigan, and my Dad pointed at it and said something to the effect of "Look at that ride trying to hit that building (it was set up next to a bank building, I only remember that from later years recognizing the building), let's go ride it." And I was hooked. It is still my Dad's favourite ride as well. Those were the days, in the late 1970's and 1980's, two Sky Wheels side-by-side on the Wade Shows' midway at the Michigan State Fair, seeing a Sky Wheel it seemed like at every other lot I went to or rode in the car and went by, sigh. Seeing Pugh's and Wade's and Crown's all the time through the late 1990's, now I have to either visit Poor Jack in Lima, Ohio or see McDonagh's when they put it up. I don't take it for granted anymore. No Sky Wheel at the Michigan State Fair since 2000, the last year it was there.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain