Knowledge
  •  Knowledge
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help Topic Starter
Friday, September 17, 2004 4:47:51 AM
Everyone know more about these "portable" HUSS-Pirates ?

-> unknown / Link / Wade (on the road)
-> Charly Edens (in operation ?)
-> Deggeller ???? (on the road ??)
-> unknown / Helms & Sons (new in 2004!!/who is the formerly owner ?)
-> unknown / Drew Expo (who is the formerly owner ?)
-> Conklin
-> Strates Shows (on the road)
-> Key City Shows / unknown ???
-> Billy Lynch Shows / unknown ???

Greets

Knowledge
Skywheelrider
Friday, September 17, 2004 5:23:40 AM
Strates Pirate is not on the road at this time (in the future maybe?).
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
cny_chris
Friday, September 17, 2004 7:26:08 AM
Strates' Pirate is a park model, so technically it's semi-portable....
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
the_rock401
Friday, September 17, 2004 7:41:59 AM
Royal American had one of these back in the day, and by accounts it has also fallen off the face of the earth [:)].
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you have to take a rain check.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, September 17, 2004 8:17:28 AM
I know Archway Amusements has at least one but I believe they have 2. One stays in a park in New Jersey, the other is parked.
My albums are all on Facebook!
Tornado
Friday, September 17, 2004 8:26:03 AM
Alright, what is the difference between a park and portable model??? I seen Strates, Wades, Conklins, an independent one on AofA and several in parks and piers. They all look the same. The only piece that is factory (Huss) trailer mounted for over the road travel is the passange gondola (boat/ship)...
cny_chris
Friday, September 17, 2004 11:03:33 AM
I'd have to guess that it boils down to a difference in the bases of the support legs, some of the connection points and hardware used, and perhaps some of the hardware that might make the portable model easier to set up. I haven't seen a true portable one to be 100% sure...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Ryan Russell
Friday, September 17, 2004 12:11:56 PM
Drew's Pirate came from a Six Flags but which one im not sure of. I just remember Jimmy telling me one time that it came out of a six flags amusement park. If IM not mistaken isnt thew diffrence in the portable ones and the park models is doesnt the portable ones come with the hydraulic lifting system for the supports where as the ones that came out of diffrent parks need a crane to raise and lower? I could be wrong but that how I always took it.
Matthew
Friday, September 17, 2004 5:31:42 PM
Conklin's Tidal Wave is currently at their WQ in Florida. They don't take it to other fairs which is a shame. It's currently up for sale.
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, September 17, 2004 5:37:23 PM
Strates Pirate had the boat & drive mech mounted on a trailer. The "A" frame had hydraulic cylinders to raise it. They used the crane to load the poles & axle onto the wagon.
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Friday, September 17, 2004 7:35:26 PM
archway sold one of theres to davis
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, September 17, 2004 7:43:40 PM
I am not certain, but I was under the impression that the Huss Pirate that Archway Amusements had on the road originally belonged to Royal American. Not certain on that though. As for being portable, Strates is a portable model, it seems to be built just the same as all other Huss Pirates I have seen that were porable. I have had the chance to take a quick look at Strates and Archways and Drews, besides being in different condition they were all about the same structuraly. Drews was the best looking when I saw it, however Strates was looking pretty darn good when I saw it in Gaithersburg MD a few years back. It is intersting how the Pirate is built, The Frisbee is built almost the same way, very similar towers and the drive for a Huss Frissbee runs off a center trailer, not off of motors on the Towers like a KMG Fireball. Just thougth that was kind of interesting.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, September 17, 2004 9:14:40 PM
There is one sitting at the defunct lesordsville lake park AKA pughs 2nd mistake...lol
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, September 18, 2004 2:00:47 AM
Royal American never owned the Pirate. Joe Noerper ( Archway Amusements) owned it. It came out of the 1984 New Orleans Worlds Fair. Joe had 2 Huss Pirates and the show owns a Chance Pharo's Fury. One of the Pirates was sold to a park in the American southwest a few years ago.

Joe put his Pirate in Ocean City Md. park ( Jolly Rogers I think) for a couple of years, it did well one year then not so well the next.

Joe was the driving force for getting Larry Davis's Giant Wheel in St. Louis' Forest Park this year for the 100th anniversery of the Worlds Fair. In a gesture of thanks, Larry Davis' son in law Dave Helms ask Joe to bring his Pirate out to the west coast this year and work with him, since Joe hasn't had any where to take it since RAS went off the road, and Jolly Rogers fell flat.

If any of you have any questions about the ride, I"ll be having lunch with Joe and his family this Thrsday and I'll be glad to ask him.

I hope that helps.

Scott
Tornado
Saturday, September 18, 2004 5:05:05 AM
Sure...
Ask Joe if there such a thing as park model and portable model Huss Pirate.
That should give us and answer to the question above from someone who should know...

Thanks