rdcolles
  •  rdcolles
  • 57.6% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, August 10, 2004 7:07:13 AM
Ok, eveyone watch for Chris and Ryan.
Coastercameron
Tuesday, August 10, 2004 10:45:47 AM
Is Talley's mega drop going to be there? Is that the tower I see going up?
Matt C.
Tuesday, August 10, 2004 10:54:05 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Coastercameron

Is Talley's mega drop going to be there? Is that the tower I see going up?

Nah that is Astros Mega Drop. Astro fields aproximately 40 rides (everything they own) for the fair. Other rides are brought in by Spectacular Midways and Tinsleys Amusements.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Skywheel1969
Tuesday, August 10, 2004 11:02:49 AM
How long does it take to put up the Ring of Fire (or whatever they are calling it this year)? I drove through the fairgrounds at lunchtime and it was still racked. That was only a few hours ago.
Coastercameron
Tuesday, August 10, 2004 11:05:34 AM
so, the mega drop goes up under it's own power? I saw it with a 90degree bend in it, then go up to vertical, all with no crane in sight...

Skywheel, it only took like 10 mins to bring both the top pieces up.
Matt C.
Tuesday, August 10, 2004 11:34:55 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Coastercameron

so, the mega drop goes up under it's own power? I saw it with a 90degree bend in it, then go up to vertical, all with no crane in sight...

Skywheel, it only took like 10 mins to bring both the top pieces up.

The Mega Drop does require a crane to lift a 20' section of the tower off a 28' flat bed trailer to then be hooked up to the main tower when it is on the ground. The entire tower is raised using hydraulics.

The Ring of Fire isnt too bad of a ride to set up... the initial raising of the inertia ring does not take much time since it is all hydraulics. What takes time is the cables, turnbuckels, outriggers and the supports which is mostly ground work.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Coastercameron
Tuesday, August 10, 2004 11:46:55 AM
So Matt, is that crane one of those little ones attached right to the back (or front) of the trailor?
Skywheel1969
Wednesday, August 11, 2004 8:36:15 AM
Ok, I am probably going to put my foot in my mouth, but I really need to vent about the Illinois State Fair midway. Personally, I think it is a major disappointment. I never did understand why the fairgrounds decided to move the midway to its current location, as the old space was certainly larger and right next to the main gate. The area around the main gate is almost a ghost town now. As for the selection of rides that is brought in, its enough to make a person depressed. Don't get me wrong; I think the Mega Drop, Pharoh's Fury, Eli Wheel, and Turbo Force are nice, but these are not enough! Whatever happened to the Skywheel, Skydiver, Zipper, Enterprise, Pirate, Zyklon, Toboggan, Rainbow, and Kamikaze? I grew up with these rides and with the exception of the Skydiver, have not ridden any of them since 1989. Heck, the ISF hasn't had a Skydiver since 2002 and as of last night, one still hadn't arrived. Every year I drive out to see what rides are being brought in and every year it depresses me more and more. Are these great rides of the past considered old hat and boring? How could the Skydiver and Zipper with thier movements ever be considered boring? As for the Skywheel, it seems to be more of a thrill than riding a Century Wheel, and they don't even have a big wheel at the ISF this year (at least they didn't as of last night)!

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post. I just wish (along with at least 75 other people I know) that some of the great classics would make an appearance. After all, to people who have never ridden these classics, everyone old is new again......[8D]

Skywheelrider
Thursday, August 12, 2004 6:34:31 PM
According to Ryan, it was swampy and hilly and they could not set it up!!!! (j/k)

Seriously, Ryan and I crashed the one gate with no state cops today (the fair was not open yet), and went in. Took pics of every ride there. ANd all I can say is....this is a State Far midway????
Very, very disappointing. The Lake County Fair in Indiana has a better midway, and so did lot of other county fairs I have seen this year. Wow.

Ride line-up: Adventure Park: Eli 16 Wheel, Round-Up, Yo-Yo, ALi Baba, Tilt-A-Whirl, Spider, Bumper Cars, fun house, Allan Herschell M-G-R, Moonwalk, Go Gator, Duck-Go-Round, Mini-Enterprise, Dinosaurs, DizzyDragons, Jungle Fun, Mini-Himalaya, 2 Gravity Storms (bungy), Hampton Combo.

Million Dollar Midway: Eli Eagle 16 Wheel, Mega Drop, Wisdom Himalaya, Music Fest, Double Shock, Turbo Force, Spider, Scrambler, Scooter 1800, Tilt-A-Whirl, Inverter, Starship 3000, Cliff Hanger, Alpine Fun House, Infernal Combustion fun house, Fun Slide, Moonwalk, Spider Mania, Chance M-G-R, Chance Zumur, Pharaoh's Fury, Ring of Fire, Dartron Zendar, Hampton Motorcycles, Hampton Combo, Moser Spring Ride, S&S Frog Hopper, Rio Grande Train, Mystery Machine (Crazy Bus), Dragon Wagon, Orient Express, Gravity Storm (bungy), Samba Balloons, and I think I am missing one kiddie that was next to the Spring Ride.

Lots of joints (all closed up for the most part), and lots of fod trailers, plus the Sky Glider.

AND WONDERFUL SERCURITY!!!! (snicker)

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheel1969
Friday, August 13, 2004 4:12:11 AM
I never knew thoe old area the midway was set up to be swampy, as it was paved in concrete. The only hill I am aware of is a gentle slope leading down to the midway, and the Skywheel occupied this spot for at least 20 years before it disappeared. I remember my dad taking me out there when I was a teenager learning to drive. Lots of open space and no obstacles.

You are right: for this being a state fair, the midway is a disappointment. You would think that they would book in some extra rides for a better variety. Guess they have the mindset of "if this is all we have to offer, they will ride it because they have no choice". IF I go out there this year, the Turbo Force is probably the only thing I will ride.

orphaned
Friday, August 13, 2004 4:16:26 AM
I see you guys say this every year, about what a disappointment this midway is. Why would you expect it to change from year to year?
Skywheel1969
Friday, August 13, 2004 4:52:15 AM
I guess we are setting ourselves up for disappointment year after year, but at the same time, there is always the possibility that things could change. I will always have my memories of how the midway used to look and nobody can change those.

As I write this, I cant help but wonder one thing: Did a previous generation look with dismay at the midway of the 1970's and 80's?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, August 13, 2004 5:36:22 AM
maybe you need to take a look at the ride gross and the real attendance figures. the spot might not need anymore equipment than that. some spots are ride spots, game spots and some are not. just because it is labeled a state fair, there is the possibility it is not the biggest fair in the state. that is not the case in nc as our nc state fair is by far the largest in attendance and ride gross. there are a lot of fairs that the attendance numbers are not what they quote.
Midway Provydr
Saturday, August 14, 2004 8:42:27 AM
I know what you mean Britt, i used to think that all state fairs were large like ours here in NC, and the largest one in that particular state till i went to the MO State Fair. Then ive noticed just by coming to this site that some are indeed smaller