Jzrider0720
  •  Jzrider0720
  • 51.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, August 9, 2004 12:20:11 PM
how do side shows that play fairs make there money?
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, August 9, 2004 4:07:26 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jzrider0519

how do side shows that play fairs make there money?

They make it...........
1, Admissions.
2, Blowoffs on the inside.
3, Souvenir sales.
Sixcats have nine lives
J-bird
Monday, August 9, 2004 6:43:21 PM
There aren't many sideshows anymore.....[:(]......the outside displays and painted images were as fun and entertaining, if not more so, than what was exhibited on the inside. I don't think many of them made a lot of money and that is why there are fewer and fewer of them
cny_chris
Monday, August 9, 2004 7:26:09 PM
It probably has more to do with the fact of what is socially acceptable and "politically correct" today. Too many NIMBY's, busybodies, worrywarts, "crusaders for the oppressed", etc...... Lots of the curiosities that were in these shows are only a few keystrokes away after a quick Google or AltaVista search, so the shock value is lessened.

Take a look at not only the sideshows, but the girl shows, the motordromes, etc. that are either nonexistent or pretty uncommon on the midway. The biz is dynamic, and the question remains, what will be the next victim of the times.....
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Utah Showman
Monday, August 9, 2004 7:40:59 PM
Hi All,

Remember if you ever get the chance to step inside a "Top" on a Sideshow, they make there money on the "Tip". That's the crowd that gathers in front of the Sideshow to hear the outside talker's bally.

They watch the free exhibition on the bally platform, and listen to the talker. If he is convincing enough, he can "turn the tip", Which is getting them to buy tickets and go in to see the show. When the tip has been turned by a talker's opening, it is said that he has "Cleaned the Midway".

Once your on the inside. The different acts would sale their pitch, things like Magic Packs, Photo's, Giant Rings (by the way was one of the best sellers) and a world of other pitch items. In the past the management of the fair, circus, or carnival would take a percentage of the gate. Everything on the inside would stay with the acts and management of the Sideshow.

At the end of the performance most sideshows had a blowoff which was and extra added attraction. It could be a Half and Half, Pin Head, Pickled Punks or Bouncer, Fat Lady or what ever the Showman thought would draw a crowd. It would be pitched by the inside lecturer and there would be an extra charge to see it.

"O.K. BOYS, THIS IS HOW IT WORKS. THE FAT LADY IS GONNA GO BEHIND THE CURTAIN AND ANY OF YOU WHO WANNA GO WITH HER CAN GIVE ME A DOLLAR AND FOLLOW ALONG. SHE'S GONNA SIT IN A CHAIR, SHE'S GONNA LIFT UP HER DRESS, AND.....follow the link to the blowoff......to read the rest of the story.
http://www.knddesign.com/sc/tgoddingemhard.html 

I've heard it said that in the early part of the 20th century the gate price was 50 cents, if a person bought and seen everything they could before they went out the back door it would cost them $6.50.

Then it starts all over again. Step Right this Way, Move in a Little Closer, See the Mule Faced Women, the Giant Snakes that can Crush a Human and Swallow them Whole. See the Pygmies from Darkest Africa. Right Here. Right Now on the Inside!!

There are very few large traveling Sideshows on the road today.

There's many reason for the end of the Sideshow as they were.

One is the do gooder's that don't believe that folks should exhibit themselves and that showmen might be exploiting the "FREAKS" which are the Royalty of the Sideshow.

Many folks that worked the Sideshows made a lot of money, in a world and time where most people with disabilities couldn't find employment. They could make a good living and work in a business they loved. Retiring to Homes, Camps and businesses which they bought with the money they made on the road.

Isn't it a matter of choice?

In todays world, there is still a lot of money to be made. But the cost of taking a show on the road with insurance, fuel, paying the nut and all of the other cost make it some what prohibitive.

Another problem, you don't need to go very far to be shocked and amazed in todays world. You have sideshow right on your TV screen. Jerry Springer, reality TV, Etc. Etc. Etc. People have come to expect more.

But I still love the show.

I love to walk down the Midway, see the Great Banner lines, meet the people that make their living in the top. I miss it, I know many of the folks that have been there miss it also.

But there are still those that perform and carry on the traditions of the Sideshow. You can see them in clubs, on fair ground, and even on the Midway of todays carnivals. But most of the Larger shows have gone.

Todd Robbins has taken his Carnival Knowledge on the road. Ken Harck, Joe Strong Blue Monkey, Pickled Brothers and a few others are keeping the tradition of the Great Shows Alive.

http://www.knddesign.com/sc/tgodrevenge.html 

Remember, It's Always Alive on the Inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Step Right this Way, Move in a little Closer, See What Your Family and Friends are Talking about, It's Right Here, It's Right Now!
UserPostedImage
See You on the Midway,

U.S.
UserPostedImage

John Robinson
Sideshow World
Preserving the Past....Promoting the Future of the Sideshow

Step Right Up It's always Alive on the Inside of Sideshow World
http://www.sideshowworld.com 
jrobinson@hubwest.com
J-bird
Monday, August 9, 2004 7:41:09 PM
Hard for us to imagine that at one time there were more shows of all kinds like cnychris mentioned than there were rides.....one of my alltime favorite sideshows was the "Gorilla Girl" which I think we have discussed before.
Utah Showman
Monday, August 9, 2004 7:56:48 PM
The Girl to Gorilla,

It scared the ba-geez-us out of most folks.

See Her Change Right Before Your Eyes!

I think you will find this story fun.

PRINCESS ZAMBORA MEETS LEROY
http://www.knddesign.com/sc/tgodzambora.html 

See You on the Midway,

U.S.
UserPostedImage

John Robinson
Sideshow World

jrobinson@hubwest.com
Ross
  •  Ross
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler
Wednesday, August 11, 2004 5:38:36 PM
"She walks and talks, and crawls on her belly like a reptile...Hey Now!" [:p]
'DO YOU WANNA GO F-A-S-T-E-R?'
Boils The Clown
Wednesday, August 11, 2004 9:58:37 PM
I get a navagation Error when I tryed to go to the girl to gorilla link ![V] What happened ? I really want to check this out cuz it's the 1st side show I ever saw at a carnival !
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Utah Showman

The Girl to Gorilla,

It scared the ba-geez-us out of most folks.

See Her Change Right Before Your Eyes!

I think you will find this story fun.

PRINCESS ZAMBORA MEETS LEROY
http://www.knddesign.com/sc/tgodzambora.html 

Come See My Fun House ,  & My Fun House Photo Gallery  
UserPostedImage
~ By All Means.....When In Doubt .....Jump On The "Blame Boils Bandwagon" ! ~
Utah Showman
Thursday, August 12, 2004 2:13:03 AM
Boils Wrote "I get a navagation Error when I tryed to go to the girl to gorilla link![V] What happened? I really want to check this out cuz it's the 1st side show I ever saw at a carnival!"

Hi Boils,

I sure don't understand why you can't find the story.

http://www.knddesign.com/sc/ths-tgod.html 

It should take you to "The Good Old Days" page on Sideshow Central.

Then just go down the list of stories until you find ZAMBORA MEETS LEROY.

Let me know if this works? It really is a funny story.
See You on the Midway,

U.S.
UserPostedImage

John Robinson
Sideshow World

jrobinson@hubwest.com
Boils The Clown
Thursday, August 12, 2004 2:27:10 AM
Greetings Utah Showman,
Thanx !!!! The Link worked for me that way !![:D] Great Story & It Brought back Some Memories Of when I was A young child ,watching that show , & With All The Mooches Running For Safety Including Me !![:D]

Ohh How Good It was just to sit outside the tent, After the show & watch the reactions of the people running out of the shows!

Now only if a "High Dollar " Show(carnival) ,can use that act, to clear out a midway ,at Closing Time !!![xx(][xx(][xx(]

UserPostedImage
Utah Showman
Thursday, August 12, 2004 2:50:19 AM
Boils Wrote: Greetings Utah Showman,

Hey Boils,

U.S. is just fine.

Glad you enjoyed your visit On the Inside!

It is my understanding that there are a G2G or two on the Midways this season.

Where or Where has the Gorilla Girl gone. Well! probably back to her dressing room......or maybe she's still looking for Leroy!
See You on the Midway,

U.S.
UserPostedImage

John Robinson
Sideshow World

jrobinson@hubwest.com
Boils The Clown
Thursday, August 12, 2004 4:24:31 AM
Yeah I have seen One(G2G) Not to long ago, But it's not the same Experience as when I was Young !!!
UserPostedImage
Utah Showman
Thursday, August 12, 2004 12:38:43 PM
Ladies & Gentleman, Boils & Girls,

Step Right Up! You are about to witness one of the Most Amazing sights your eyes will ever behold!

"The Ape Girl, the Ape Girl. She's alive, so much alive that only the brave are invited. See her now, See her right here on the Inside.

"Under bright lights you'll see the change begin. Her forehead will begin to recede, her eyebrows protrude, fangs will begin to emerge, and her clothes will appear to fall away from her body. But I don't think you'll be noticing her embarrassment. What you will be noticing is the hair growing on her entire body, the long straggly hair a gorilla an ape or is she the Missing link? This show will scare the yell right out of you!

So Step in a little closer, Step Right this way, you will see what your friends and family are talking about, She is Alive, She is Real, See her now, See her on the Inside, UserPostedImage
So Folks Step right this way, She's on the Inside!

See You on the Midway,

U.S.
UserPostedImage

John Robinson
Sideshow World

jrobinson@hubwest.com
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, August 12, 2004 3:59:30 PM
saw the g2g once on our fair midway many years ago and the crowd tore the tent down getting out. show had to do repairs before performing again. always stand to one side near the end or face the possibility of getting run over. especially if the right crowd was in the tent.