Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 12:49:21 PM
This rumor has been floating around for several months that an investor outside the industry is trying to buy up five major shows and run it as one company to bid on the big state fair RFP contracts etc.
Any recent news on it?
I personally can't see it happening due to generations of family history, egos, etc.
If this was covered on MCW in the past few months, someone please link to it. I couldn't find it in a search but I thought it was mentioned at some point.
BillReese
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 1:41:38 PM
The name is Michael Solomon from California. The deal will be done in 2 months. Strates, Farrow, Funtastic, Bluegrass.
DOn't feed the trolls.
VA Inspector
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 2:31:32 PM
What a get combination that would be. I hope none of the upper management changes. Talking about having the USA covered. WOW!
What the wise do in the beginning, fools do in the end.
orphaned
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 2:33:59 PM
Please....I'll bet this never happens. Mike Williams has no reason to sell...nor does Jim Murphy. Both are highly successful as they are. I can't speak much to the Funtastic or Strates...I may indeed eat my words Bill Reese and if it happens, I'll be the first in line to eat crow....

They may form a partnership...but there wont be shows all sold into one as the question was formed.
WestCoastPat
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 2:51:02 PM
The only thing I have heard out here is that RCS was sold to Warner Brothers. I can actually see a company like Warner Brothers or maybe even Clear Channel getting in the business because of the media exposure they could give. But I hope not.LOL
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 3:26:16 PM
I found the earlier discussion on this, which was never conclusive either.

http://www.rideguy.com/f...amp;SearchTerms=investor 
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 3:35:47 PM
those aren't the shows I heard mentioned in the rumors recently.
Just probably proves how ridiculous it is.
Why would an investor want to buy out shows? unless (and even if) they knew the business it could be a huge liability for them. Unless they plan to buy the rides and put them in permanent locations?
hmmmm.....
In the past the main reason a show would sell is if their next generation doesn't want to be in the business. Or they have too much debt and/or legal/health problems. The shows BillReese mentioned don't seem to fall into those categories that I can see.

Steve F.
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 5:25:12 PM
Might be a good thing. Then perhaps we'll see big new german rides over here with concert quality light shows and sound. Or perhaps this old american carnival mentality will preval and "just as long as it spins around and nothing falls off, its fine".
Randy D.
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 5:40:17 PM
I just dont see Bluegrass or Farrow being that concerned about bidding for more fairs. Both shows have had very long standing solid routes. Almost all of the fairs Bluegrass plays, have contracts of ten years or more. Unless times are really changing, I dont see these two shows being interested. One thing is for sure, Jim Murphy is one of the smartest business men I have ever met, and if the deal happens, its for good reason and profitability!
cny_chris
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 6:08:41 PM
Doing a little browsing around, this appears to be the Michael Solomon that BillReese is referring to:

Quote:

quote:

Solomon began his career in distribution by loading films onto trucks for United Artists at the age of 18 in 1956. He quickly moved up the ladder where, at age 24, he became the youngest field manager in the history of the motion picture industry when he headed up the United Artists offices in Lima, Peru. In 1964 he started up MCA's Latin American Division while based in Mexico. He later moved to Brazil and by age 30 became MCA's youngest vice president.

In 1978, he co-founded Telepictures Corporation, which went on to become the largest U.S. television syndication company under his leadership as chairman and chief executive officer. In 1985, when Telepictures merged with Lorimar to form Lorimar Telepictures, Solomon became the new company's president and served on its board of directors. In 1989, when Lorimar Telepictures was acquired by Warner Bros., Solomon became president of Warner Bros. International Television, a post he held until 1994, when he formed his own international telecommunications company, Solomon International Enterprises, which is involved in various areas of the entertainment industry.

He's been involved with a lot of entertainment related companies, but no real headlines since around 2001. I dunno...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Wednesday, July 21, 2004 7:55:10 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BillReese

The name is Michael Solomon from California. The deal will be done in 2 months. Strates, Farrow, Funtastic, Bluegrass.

BULL[system edit]!! I heard some names and those weren't even in the league. Think about, they are trying to build 1 solid unit, it would make no sense for them to buy all 5 of those shows, too much extra and crap to get rid of.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Skywheelrider
Thursday, July 22, 2004 3:20:02 AM
Funny this topic comes up. I just heard a rumour that a major show may be put up for sale. Came from a very reputable source.

Very interesting, 5 shows, one corporation, but I, in this instance, will believe it when and if it happens.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
orphaned
Thursday, July 22, 2004 3:37:21 AM
I know of several small shows that are for sale right now!
bill m
Thursday, July 22, 2004 5:31:55 AM
bluegrass shows is the most reputable and profitable show involved with the best businssman owning the show maybe he is just bored with the industry as far as the show from mississippi very questionable practices as far as how fair contracts were obtained and negotiated after that also certain revenue reporting to fairs as far as ride grosses and footage is concerned this came from help out of the office the illinois show has been blown away the last decade by the largest most well run show in that area WCA the group is most likely using this show for fill ins or errands the illinois also talks too much if a deal takes place with a big firm it could a MARTHA STEWART situation the canadian firm and the michigan firm have just had some financial problems lately good luck you just have to get along
Bill M
LONNOL
Thursday, July 22, 2004 5:35:27 AM
Sentence structure is your friend.

Adam
www.flatrides.com : Pimp-slapping you with all your flat ride needs.