orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, July 18, 2004 6:52:01 AM
On Thursday, I stopped by Greensboro to visit with Lou Weaver and Kelly Weaver at Interstate Amusements. They were set up at the Hancock County Fair and man was it PACKED.

We sat and talked for probably thirty minutes...they were having some light trouble with the Mulligan Wheel and all of the spoke lights were out along with part of the rim lights. Said they'd ordered a new light box which had just gone out.

Ridelineup:

Mulligan Wheel
Larson Fireball
Wisdom Starship 2000
Sizzler
Wisdom Tornado
Majestic Scooter
Pharoahs Fury
Wipeout

On Friday, I made it to Kendallville for Carnival Tyme. I won't go into the lineup here since SkyWheelRider already has posted it, and his account of the show is accurate. I spent all day Friday and Saturday there. Gary and Roger are super nice guys and so is 2ndGen. There were a lot of other great people I met on the show, including "Annie" who works the bushel basket game for Kal Hamilton Concessions....some of you may know her as the "red headed bartender lady" from the Tiki Hut at Gibtown during IISF week.

On Saturday, about 6pm, a hellacious cloud moved in and the skies opened up and POURED. I'd completed my work by then so I left the lot and headed south once the rain let up.

Once in Indianapolis, I stopped by the Marion County Fairgrounds where Drew had a small crew setting up for next weeks fair (begins July 22-31). THey had the famous Seattle Wheel already up in all it's majesty, Reverchon Himalaya, Hurricane, KMG Fireball (Cyclops) and a Rok N Tug already set up along with the concert band organ in place on the midway. This must be a huge midway as they had it laid out with surveyor flags. The crew looked really busy (only about four guys) so I didn't even get out of the car, just drove around and looked.

Heading back down I-65 I realized this was the week Cumberland Valey Show was in Columbus. So I hopped off the Interstate and went to the Bartholowmew County Fair for a couple of hours. IT WAS PACKED as well and the midway was awesome.

Lineup:

Giant Wheel
Zero Gravity
Cliff Hanger
Reverchon Himalaya
Sizzler
Wisdom Tornado
Floyd and Baxter 100' Bumper Car
KMG Fireball
Tilt
Ali Baba
Magic Carpet Funhouse
Mardi Gras
and several kiddies, a TON of games and lots of food.
Show looked great and I got the best ride on the KMG Fireball that I've ever had....even lost my hat and wasn't able to find it afterwards...it must have flung it back to Indianapolis or something.

All in all was a great trip. Cool thing about these Indiana fairs I didn't realize is that they are FREE...if you can find a spot to park free (most charge you to park inside) you just walk into the midway...the grandstand entertainment costs and they charge you at the entrance to the grandstand....but for carnival fans, WOW...you guys up there have it made....cause down here in KY, we have to pay the $7 gate fee just to get in an walk around.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, July 18, 2004 7:04:32 AM
Yeah Bryan, I had a great time in Kendallville. I thought that was neat, too, pull in, park, and walk right in. I am used to paying first here in Michigan as well. Hmmm....Drew in Indy next week, or Belle City in LaPorte....hmmmm. I guess it depends on if I can find out if the Sky Wheel is in LaPorte or not. And I cannot wait to see CVS in Monroe in a three weeks.

Anyone ever hear of the outfit that was in LaGrange, Indiana? Beers and Jessops? Never have heard of them myself, and they say they are not related to Jessop Amusements. Just curious.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Sunday, July 18, 2004 7:08:27 AM
There was a candy wagon at Kendallville...I dont know if you saw it or not...but it was up on the Independent end of the midway...kind of across from the barn that had the fair office in it where the radio station was broadcasting out front...it said BEER AND JESSOPS OLD FASHIONED BUTTERSCOTCH POPCORN AND PULLED TAFFY" it was open,,,they were selling caramel corn, taffy, caramel apples and that sort of stuff. Must be same people.
jonjon
Sunday, July 18, 2004 7:15:48 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

There was a candy wagon at Kendallville...I dont know if you saw it or not...but it was up on the Independent end of the midway...kind of across from the barn that had the fair office in it where the radio station was broadcasting out front...it said BEER AND JESSOPS OLD FASHIONED BUTTERSCOTCH POPCORN AND PULLED TAFFY"

Beer and Jessups must not have to many dates, they do a little festival in Milford over Memorial day, and a month later the tilt and the mgr is still partly assembled.
babyhughie
Sunday, July 18, 2004 7:20:36 AM
Hey chris beers and jessups used to be in centreville, left because of the rent, and now are still in hillsdale.They are an interesting bunch but their butterscotch corn rocks!!
Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, July 18, 2004 1:14:15 PM
Glad to hear you got the video shoot in Bryan with all the bad weather this weekend. Maybe you can post a couple short clips on here when you get some time. It would be nice to see your work and it would be good advertising for your video biz.
Skywheelrider
Sunday, July 18, 2004 4:45:00 PM
Yeah I saw the popper from B & J in Kendallville, one of the longest food trailers I have ever seen. Took a couple of pics of it. They said that popper will be in Warsaw, Indiana this coming week.

Bryan, funny you mention the radio station broadcasting from across the way from the B&J popper, I heard the guy say they were live at the fair, I turned around and watched, his voice was on a delay, so everytime his lips moved, a couple seconds later his voice came out of the speakers. Heh, reminded me of a bad japanese kung fu movie dubbed into english. lol

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Monday, July 19, 2004 3:31:30 AM
It would be nice to see your work and it would be good advertising for your video biz.

I doubt that will happen since the show is paying for the video, it is theoretically THE SHOWS property and THEY own it...not me. If they want their video on the message board, I'm sure they can figure out a way to get it on there.

Perhaps Hurley will post some of his pics...as he took a BUNCH.
Skywheelrider
Monday, July 19, 2004 3:57:18 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

It would be nice to see your work and it would be good advertising for your video biz.

I doubt that will happen since the show is paying for the video, it is theoretically THE SHOWS property and THEY own it...not me. If they want their video on the message board, I'm sure they can figure out a way to get it on there.

Perhaps Hurley will post some of his pics...as he took a BUNCH.

Yeah I did, lol. I think between the three spots I hit Saturday (Kendallville and LaGrange, Indiana and Wauseon, Ohio, I ended up with almost 500 photos. Whew! Took almost an hour to upload them to the computer from the camera. lol Of course, I have to admit that some of the photos were of the nasty storms I went through, got some spectacular shots in Rome City of the storm ahead of me, lit by the sunshine behind me.

I am sure that video turned out great, that is an awesome digital video camera Bryan has, professional grade, nicest I have seen.

Matt C.
Monday, July 19, 2004 8:34:05 AM
Hey Chris,

I will be out in Laporte later tonight and I will let you know if the Sky Wheel will be there. If any of you guys get a chance, Scott, Ryan and I will be in Indianapolis for the Marion County fair on Tuesday the 26th. If anyone would like to meet up, PM me!
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Monday, July 19, 2004 11:13:24 AM
Hey Chris,

For the record, it's a Canon XL1S...and the bank still owns it, not me. I also had a DVC PRO camera in the trunk as a back up...a Panasonic AJ-D215, which is not quite as good and a lot bulkier...but I basically replaced it with the Canon.

When I decided to start doing these videos, the little $300 Wal Mart digital video cameras just weren't gonna cut it...if you're gonna do professional looking work, you gotta have a professional camera.

As for editing programs, as long as you keep it digital, they are all basically the same....the more special effects isn't nec. the better...in fact, too many special effects make it distracting and annoy viewers, especially a lot of the older guys/gals on the committees that see these videos. The big key is keeping it digital!
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Monday, July 19, 2004 11:14:32 AM
BTW...I am seriously considering driving back up to Indy to see Drew on July 30th....we'll see.
Skywheelrider
Monday, July 19, 2004 11:25:10 AM
Wow, like I said, nice camera! Well, if I was to go see Drew in Indianapolis, it would have to be this Saturday (actually leave Friday night), my sister is getting married on 31 July, so that shoots down that weekend. (I know, my sympathies are with her too. lol) And the weekdays are out, work calls. (Plus I already have a weeks vacation scheuled the week of 9 August).