carnivalluver
Thursday, July 8, 2004 7:03:30 AM
Do any carnival companies let you join them if you already have children?I know some companies that come through will let you join if you are preggers but what if you had a five year old could you if you wanted to. Just a general knowledge question. Thanks for the replies
orphaned
Thursday, July 8, 2004 8:30:16 AM
Sure they do! I'm not with a show, but I see many shows out there where the employees have kids. I'd try to find one that has a travelling school so you can get the kid enrolled. Big A, Reithoffer, Kissel Rides and Shows and I'm sure there are others that have schools. As hard as help is to come by these days, no one is gonna turn you down just because you have a kid. But, that said, I wouldnt just join the first ragbag show that comes by...I'd find one where the kid can fit in too...after all, it is going to be their life as well! Just my two cents worth.
Mamatiger
Thursday, July 8, 2004 1:30:47 PM
I agree with Bryan. If I had known about the shows with traveling schools fifteen years ago, I'd never have come off the road. Find a show that's family-oriented.
A couple of examples:
Quote:

quote:

Powers Great American Midways has joined the ranks of the small number of U.S. carnivals that support a traveling school. The first students have been enrolled in the Great American Academy.

Quote:

quote:

To help Wade Shows attract and keep the highest quality employee, we started a traveling school, The Carousel Learning Center, for children of Wade Shows employees. The Carousel Learning Center is one of only six such schools in North America. Its accredited curriculum allows many of our employees’ families to stay and travel together. The school has had a very positive effect on all our employees. This family atmosphere behind the scenes has carried over “out-front” to the midway by allowing many of our quality, dedicated carnival professionals to stay and not seek other types of employment because of family responsibilities.

Good luck! [:)]
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, July 8, 2004 1:45:46 PM
I agree with Bryan and mamma... there are alot of shows now that have traveling schools... Deggellar and conklin also have schools...There are also some shows that have there owne barber and beauty shops along with laundry service... You have to give good bennies to keep good help these days... like Bryan said if you are even thinking about going out on the road don't just pick a rag bag find a good show.

it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
mjcarniegirl
Thursday, July 8, 2004 9:10:13 PM
alot of shows will let you travel with your kids . some shows , mostly the bigger shows have a traveling school also . LIke the others have already said , just ask and check things out on the show befor you pack your bags and leave town . If you will be staying in a show bunkhouse ... someshows might not allow kids in the bunkhouses but in your own trailor or vehicle should not be a problem
The Flowergirl
Friday, July 9, 2004 7:07:01 AM
I'm a mom currently traveling (after 15 yrs., I consider myself a lifer) and I am in desperate need of child care for my 4yr. old. I have a sitter now but she is green and not really fitting in with the traveling lifestyle. Example: She gossips too much and can't get on the bunk. I currently pay 210/wk, but would pay up to 300/wk for the right person. Our house trailer has bunk beds and the top one would be yours. Really, I'm looking for a carnie mother's helper. The right person would also be welcome to stay in the extra room in my big house in the winter if they had no where else to go. Post here if interested.
The more you know, the greater your life
can be.
orphaned
Friday, July 9, 2004 7:37:02 AM
Can't get on the bunk????? Hell, if she's THAT big, I wouldn't want her on the top bunk anyway....it's a wonder you can fit her in the door of the trailer....must definitely decrease your gas mileage towing that much more weight around! WOW.
carnivalluver
Friday, July 9, 2004 9:13:59 AM
What show are you with flowergirl?Would my child be allowed to come as well. She is five. Thanks
The Flowergirl
Saturday, July 10, 2004 5:25:58 AM
bryan, she is 6'7" and weighs 350lbs. Travelling sitter help is so hard to come by that I gave her a try, but it just ISN'T working out. If she produced quality work, I would put up with the size thing, but good housekeeping isn't part of her lifestyle.
can be.
back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, July 11, 2004 3:39:57 AM
flowergirl, I feel your pain ! honest, the worst thing you want to do after a 16 hour day is come home and have to clean your trailer.
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
HUSSRAINBOW
Sunday, July 11, 2004 3:59:19 AM
Here in aus, theres a travelling school that goes around with the families, its pretty cool, I wish I was a travelling kiddy, would be soo fun, although I'd be helping my folks out with the Rainbow LOL, I wish!
UserPostedImage
The Flowergirl
Wednesday, July 14, 2004 7:59:30 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by back40

flowergirl, I feel your pain ! honest, the worst thing you want to do after a 16 hour day is come home and have to clean your trailer.

Not only the cleaning the trailer thing, but I'm usually hungry and I'd like to be able to make myself a meal, not wash dishes so I can cook and wash dishes again.

I was really hoping that this forum would turn up some one who was able to fill the bill. If it will help anyone to make a decision, I'm currently in IN and will be going to MI and St. Paul, MN.
can be.
orphaned
Wednesday, July 14, 2004 9:19:37 AM
What show are you with Flower? Are there other small kids on the show? Any chance you and some co-workers could "pool" resources and find one person to watch three or four kids? Just a suggestion.
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, July 14, 2004 10:53:47 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

What show are you with Flower? Are there other small kids on the show? Any chance you and some co-workers could "pool" resources and find one person to watch three or four kids? Just a suggestion.

Based on the Indiana to Michigan to St. Paul, Minnesota (State Fair), I would have to say Mid America Shows. Now, which unit, I do not know nor have a guess, as the whole show is in Indiana and the whole show comes back to Michigan, but only a few pieces of equipment goes to Minnesota.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
The Flowergirl
Wednesday, July 14, 2004 8:03:56 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

Thanks for the help. I forgot that my sitter also watches another girl who is about 8yrs. old. Between the two she brings in about 500/wk. It also seems that now that she has money, she doesn't feel the need to work, which is why I spoke so much about what I want. I am the primary employer as the little girl will return home to go to school in about 6wks.

For an enterprising person there is even more money to be had. The jointies pay $10 a day/per joint for someone to open and tie down center canvas. That's a potential of another $250/wk during fair season. At $750/wk. a simple sitter would make more money than some ride supervisors.
can be.