alibiguyny
  •  alibiguyny
  • 50.3% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Monday, June 28, 2004 8:42:52 AM
can someone please tell me why i get dinged for oaba all the time when i pay the nut. i dont think half the money these guys collect ever make it there. and some one please tell me what they have done lately for us. besides the discount at sherwin williams paint.
i dont smell em i just tell em......
Carnie_Joe930
Monday, June 28, 2004 12:39:18 PM
Quote:

quote:

alibiguyny Posted - 06/28/2004 : 12:42:52 PM

<snip>besides the discount at sherwin williams paint.

Even that's a joke. I walked into a Sherwin-Williams and showed them my business card. They gave me the same discount that I was getting when I was an OABA member.
Ryan
  •  Ryan
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Lot Foreman
Monday, June 28, 2004 8:24:02 PM
I pay my yearly dues and that is it. I support the SLA, go to the meetings and do the green parade and all that fun stuff.
www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
BSA Mike
Monday, June 28, 2004 8:33:34 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan

I pay my yearly dues and that is it.

Wasting your money!
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, June 29, 2004 3:25:35 AM
The O.A.B.A. is a lobbying groups, working behind the scenes for the betterment of the industry. It has a payroll and takes revenue to function. It belongs to the people who are with it and for it.
UserPostedImage
alibiguyny
  •  alibiguyny
  • 50.3% (Neutral)
Tuesday, June 29, 2004 3:35:05 AM
pinetar im shocked that you of all people would be supportive. tell them to go lobby in new jersey so i can work there allthe time then . pinetar bickybock when it comes to the oaba.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, June 29, 2004 3:50:46 AM
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, June 29, 2004 3:28:01 PM
I agree with Alibi. The park people keep us from working in NJ unless it's a legal recognized fair or a boardwalk, and they have all that sewed up. I'm convinced that the park lobby either is in cahoots with the OABA or the OABA doesn't care if the carnys are out of business and only the park people will be able to cover the few fairs there. Anyway you look at it, we have nothing going for us in NJ.
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Sixcats have nine lives
lotman
  •  lotman
  • 57.1% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, June 29, 2004 3:39:11 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sixcat

I agree with Alibi. The park people keep us from working in NJ unless it's a legal recognized fair or a boardwalk, and they have all that sewed up. I'm convinced that the park lobby either is in cahoots with the OABA or the OABA doesn't care if the carnys are out of business and only the park people will be able to cover the few fairs there. Anyway you look at it, we have nothing going for us in NJ.
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

SIXCAT, YOU ARE NOT WRONG... BUT YOU LEFT OUT THE CHURCH. I BELIEVE THEY HAVE A BIG SAY IN THIS STATE ALSO. DON'T GET ME STARTED ON JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.
Mark Twain
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin
powersmidways.com
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Tuesday, June 29, 2004 5:23:56 PM
Jersey, Jersey, Jersey.... If it isn't the sales tax on the rides, it's the inspections. If it's not the inspections, it's the games laws. Now the talk is bushell decertification. While on the games subject, this was in today's paper.
http://www.courierposton...southjersey/m062904a.htm 
A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

Carnevil
Tuesday, June 29, 2004 6:26:09 PM
IMHO the OABA is somewhat like our government system. If your a member of the OABA and you feel like they need to do something for you call them and let them know. Just like you would call your congressmen. If members will get together and tell the leaders of the OABA what they want what are they going to do say no we are not going to do it? We have great control over what goes on at the OABA. If people refuse to handle an issue its easy to hurt them just stop supporting them and get others to do so as well and tell them why your not supporting them anymore. When was the last time any of you complaining about the OABA actually called them and told them what you would like to see done? Sure it has its flaws but what group doesnt.
Its not impossible it just costs more.
alibiguyny
  •  alibiguyny
  • 50.3% (Neutral)
Wednesday, June 30, 2004 2:11:41 PM
YEAH CARNEVIL THAT SOUNDS NICE ON PAPER BUT SO DOES COMMUNISM. IM SORRY I THINK ITS A JOKE AFTER ALL IT WAS STARTED BY OLD FLATSTORE AGENTS FROM BACK IN THE DAY. THERE IS REALY NOTHING ANYONE CAN SAY THAT WIL CHANGE MY MIND. UNLESS THEY ARE GOING TO GIVE HALF THE MONEY FROM ALL THE JAMBOREES AND ALL THE PULL TABS AND TIP BOARDS IVE PAYED IN THE OFFICE THAT SUPPOSEDLY GOES TO THE OABA.
Carnevil
Wednesday, June 30, 2004 10:28:23 PM
So because you believe that whatever show or shows you've been on keep the money instead of actually giving to the OABA that means the OABA doesnt work? Its not really the OABA's fault if a show collects money and doesnt turn it in. How are they supposed to keep up with that? They cant its impossible. You ask what the OABA has done for you? What do you want them to do? What have you done for the OABA?
Here's a link to their benifits page.
http://www.oaba.org./benefits2.htm 
Its not alot but for what it costs to be a member its not bad.
What does your local club do for you? Are you active in your local club?
Its not impossible it just costs more.
bill m
Monday, July 5, 2004 3:04:07 PM
the o.a.b.a did a lot for gene chafee he turned in money for years and was a good friend of the late dick janas they were suppose to send him 6000 dollars to help with his problem the check is still in the mail what the heck do they have the right because someone on the board does not like someone no money i bet if one the click was in trouble the money would be there al 10 percent derusha and bob johnson are flying around on your hard earned money remember you do not have to give if you do not want to and maybe they will get the message of what the o.a.b.a is for and why it was started not there personal advancement
Bill M
TopSpinJay
Monday, July 5, 2004 3:41:25 PM
there needs to be some sorta reorganization and there should be alotta people on board that know what the problems are out there and try to fix it...the problem is in my opinion its a ship without direction and the whole industry is like that...well eventualy you will sail into something, the question is what and will it be good or bad. the thing i don't get is if there so important and play roles why dont they stand up and be more noticed?
You'll miss us when were gone....