Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Saturday, June 12, 2004 8:05:28 PM
I was in Toronto the past few days and found the most amazing sight!! It is a real Kroon wheel from Holland, outfitted with 4 REAL automobiles (all new Saabs). I actually paid $5 to ride on it and took photos.
I dont' have the photos developed yet but here's a link to a photo of it.
http://www.thepowerplant.org/exhibitions.html 
In Holland they were able to let people drive their own (small)cars onto the wheel and take a spin. In neon in the front of the ride it says DRIVE IN WHEEL. At night, they drive the 4 cars off of the wheel and back on the next day.
I talked to the guys running it. It is part of an art exhibit. The main operator (not the artist) is related to the Kroon family (now KMG)ride mfg in Holland (makers of the Fireball and Afterburner.)
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Saturday, June 12, 2004 8:10:20 PM
butterfly in reverse
Saturday, June 12, 2004 9:18:09 PM
That is crazy and amazing, and I may be the only one, but I have never seen or heard of such a thing. Insurance would never let that happen here...neat idea.
Great post, too! Thank you for sharing that.
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” ~Mark Twain
BSA Mike
Saturday, June 12, 2004 10:10:37 PM
I remember seeing a drawing or something like this on usedrides.com a few years ago
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, June 13, 2004 1:07:50 AM
I remember seeing a picture of this "ferris wheel for cars" in either a German or English fairground magazine back when it first debuted, however I had since forgotten about it.
It's definitely a radical approach to "art"- I prefer amusement [:D].
It's interesting that this thing turns up in Toronto. It sure looks odd with just the 4 "cars" on it. It is definitely unique, and I'm sure even more fascinating to ride.

I think I recall the wheel Mike is referring to. I seem to remember somebody seeking quotes or proposals to build a wheel that was supposed to have actual automobiles or gondolas that were just like automobiles. I believe it was supposed to go on tour around the USA. It was even discussed on MCW quite some time back- maybe two years ago (?)
If I'm correct, I think it was totally unrelated to the wheel in Toronto. The other "automobile" wheel was supposed to be used as a marketing tool for something like a high tech car stereo or sound system or some related product (?)
"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Sunday, June 13, 2004 6:23:56 AM
Actually when I rode on it, it was sort of a letdown. Very smooth, much smoother and slower than a regular wheel with gondolas.
Plus their insurance, I guess, required that the windows be up all the way except for a few inches at the top so it got very hot in there in the sun. Might be better at night.
And with the small windows it was difficult to take photos. We'll see when I get them developed. I didn't take my digital since I hate to haul the recharger around through airports too. And it was hard to get photos of the whole wheel since large buildings were around it.
jfrisoska
Sunday, June 13, 2004 6:52:36 AM
i saw a black and white photo of that wheel about 2 years ago
i dont remember where probley just surfing the net
yes i agree high insurance rate for this ride.
[8]
jaybyrd
cny_chris
Sunday, June 13, 2004 7:34:16 AM
Quote:

quote:

Posted - 06/13/2004 : 02:10:37 AM by BSA Mike

I remember seeing a drawing or something like this on usedrides.com a few years ago

That would have been in one of the numerous ads on there for A*Basic Service, http://www.abasicservice.com/ . All their proposed projects seemed to be pie in the sky, but few details if any of any of their projects seem to be available. The website is a marketer's dream, with tons of keywords to try to boost their position in the search engines. Big on hype, but very few tangibles to show.

"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Matthew
Sunday, June 13, 2004 2:44:59 PM
It looks like a similar model to Conklin's Giant wheel but without the gondolas.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
Sunday, June 13, 2004 3:22:40 PM
Yes, the operator of the wheel told me that Kroon had sold the exact model to Conklyn before. (not sure if this one is higher or Conklyn's is.)
butterfly in reverse
Friday, June 18, 2004 6:34:28 PM
UserPostedImage
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” ~Mark Twain
Matthew
Saturday, June 19, 2004 7:40:36 AM
It has the same number of spokes as Conklins so both wheels should be the same height. The base platform looks small without the queue lines in place.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Sue

Yes, the operator of the wheel told me that Kroon had sold the exact model to Conklyn before. (not sure if this one is higher or Conklyn's is.)

Matthew
Sunday, June 20, 2004 1:31:01 PM
The Drive-In Wheel is at the Harbourfront Centre in Toronto. Just saw it on the local news. Didn't realize that it was in Toronto.
Carnevil
Sunday, June 20, 2004 9:13:35 PM
I knew i had seen one of these before it took me a while to figure out where i had seen it heres a link.

Quote:

quote:

http://www.romyrides.com/

Look under Rentals and then click on majors and you will find about 5 good pictures of it.
Its not impossible it just costs more.
Matthew
Thursday, June 24, 2004 2:13:35 PM
I managed to see it in person yesterday from the Gardner. It moves very slow unlike Conklin's.