back40
  •  back40
  • 50.48% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, April 11, 2004 3:59:38 AM
I work in a ER of a local hospital I see this stuff every day never thought I would see it here... BUT... It is a very grafic reminder of what can happen to any one that works rides on the road... as Alpine I have seen what sweeps can do to a person when the come down on a head. I've seen a guy get his ankle caught on a coaster. I was right there saw him haning upside down stuck to the rail and the car..I have changed many a bandage for guys with fingures cut off,
altho I think the post quote to pinetar was uncalled for every one was warned about what it was.now take 2 perks and call me in the morning [;)]
it's never 'DANGEROUS' being who you are
Carnie_Joe930
Sunday, April 11, 2004 7:08:30 AM
This post(link) could have been left off this site, and no one would be upset. Putting in a disclaimer only arouses a curiosity. Unfortunatly....hindsight is always 20/20. I've worked around some of the smartest: Ride Ops, Welders, Truckers, Mechanics, Jointies, etc, both in this business and out. Those that have survived close calls or catastophic incidents all express the same sentiment. That at the moment of the realization that they were about to be shredded, flattened, amputated, or otherwise F**ked-Up, the thought that, "it would never happen to them", flashed vividly in their mind.
jokerkat
Sunday, April 11, 2004 1:11:08 PM
Onces in awhile we do need a wake up call. When we do something for so long we think that we could do it and not get hurt that bad. we see others get hurt and we think that would never happen to me. But it could. Ive been pinned in between a wall and the ride. Ive known guys who nearly lose legs or arms. We live in a dangerous world and for some reason we start thinking that nothing bad could ever happen to us. So we get lazy and dont think about the little things until its to late. or we know what we are doing could hurt us but we keep doing it. So if something helps wake us up no matter how bad it is im for it. My heart goes out for those who gets hurt. I dont like seeing people getting hurt or dying. I wont look at the site that everyone is talking about out of respect of my in laws but we need a wake up call once in awhile. If it helps us learn from theirs mistakes then that site was worth it.
Bossman I can see where you are coming from and I can see where Gruelurks is coming from.
Life can be mean but it is up to us to live life the best that we can and to learn from our and others mistakes.
May life treat you well and make the best with what you got.

Carnevil
Sunday, April 11, 2004 5:44:35 PM
Quote:

quote:

Friend sent this link to me.

WARNING: Somewhat extremely graphic injury picture of a MGR accident.

http://www.ogrish.com/view_attachment.php?id=16375 

You will have to cut and paste the link in your address bar, otherwise you will get redirected to the main page.

Pretty morbid site; don't eat before going there.

I dont know about you but with out explaining exactly what it was you could not have had any more warning that you were about to see something disturbing. It was very gross and its place here or anywhere is questionable,but YOU WERE WARNED!!!!
Its not impossible it just costs more.
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Sunday, April 11, 2004 6:10:53 PM
I didn't find that disturbing at all; it's a reality of what can happen when you work on heavy equipment. People need visual reminders of what can go wrong.

I had a kid climb inside a merry-go-round center because he thought he heard a noise. The ride was started by another person and his pant leg caught a turning gear. It pulled him into the center and ripped his pants most of the way off. After a 1/2 hour trying to free him, he was transported to the hospital and recieved about 40 or 50 stitches in his leg. If the ride had turned 1 or 2 more times his arm or leg would have been severed.

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

BSA Mike
Sunday, April 11, 2004 6:48:51 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Hoffa

I didn't find that disturbing at all; it's a reality of what can happen when you work on heavy equipment. People need visual reminders of what can go wrong.

I had a kid climb inside a merry-go-round center because he thought he heard a noise. The ride was started by another person and his pant leg caught a turning gear. It pulled him into the center and ripped his pants most of the way off. After a 1/2 hour trying to free him, he was transported to the hospital and recieved about 40 or 50 stitches in his leg. If the ride had turned 1 or 2 more times his arm or leg would have been severed.

Thank god for chance carousels[;)], all that stuff is inside the ride, unseen, un harmful to human error lol
ridesafe
Sunday, April 11, 2004 8:45:20 PM
I just want to say that I think the fact that someone was offended by something and then thinks it is up to him to decide what other people should and shouldn't be able to display or should or shouldn't see is reminiscent of the fanatics that want to ban any and everything that they simply don't like. What happened to reader responsibility? Or any other form of personal responsibility? If it offends you, don't look.
My personal opinion is that if people were more focused on finding something they DO appreciate/admire/enjoy than shutting down other people because their choices are different, we would all get along better.
Banning or silencing the voices that offend us only furthers personal responsibility on it's way out the doors of modern society.
RideSafe
"Sometimes the world seems like a big hole. You spend all your life shouting down it and all you hear are echoes of some idiot shouting nonsense down a hole." -Adam Duritz
Carnie_Joe930
Sunday, April 11, 2004 11:05:18 PM
Quote:

quote:

ridesafe Posted - 04/12/2004 : 12:45:20 AM

I just want to say that I think the fact that someone was offended by something and then thinks it is up to him to decide what other people should and shouldn't be able to display or should or shouldn't see is reminiscent of the fanatics that want to ban any and everything that they simply don't like. What happened to reader responsibility? Or any other form of personal responsibility? If it offends you, don't look.

Banning or silencing the voices that offend us only furthers personal responsibility on it's way out the doors of modern society.

This is quite true, and I totally agree. However, there is no absolute "Freedom of Speech" at this site, or at many other forums. At MCW there is a PG-13 request, and things that are posted here or links that go to "offensive" sites are summarily deleted. Show bashing posts get clipped all the time. Name calling and insulting are addressed very quickly by the moderators...and you CAN be suspended from this site for various infractions(read the MCW message board page). I'm not taking sides here--just giving a report on what I've seen since becoming a member.
gruelurks
Monday, April 12, 2004 10:21:55 AM
Carnie_Joe930: You are correct. Just because you have the right to Freedom of Speech, does not always mean you are free to espouse your speech whereever you want. Msg Boards included.

Well, at least I didn't post a pic of the Janet Jackson nipple slip, I would have the FCC on me for that! [:D]
Skywheelrider
Monday, April 12, 2004 11:37:42 AM
Hey Mick do not let anyone bother you about it. You warned everyone, and from what I understand it was defenitely carnival related. So anyone who objected, well, you had a choice, God gave you the free will to choose, what you do with that choice is your decision. Just like seeing a piece of chocolate cake when you are on a diet, it is your choice whether to stick to the diet and defeat the temptation by not eating it, or forget the diet and choose to eat it, giving in to the temptation. The cake being there became a choice to be made of which action to choose. All you did Mick was provide a choice to be made by the reader, view it or not, and then act on that choice one way or the other, on their own. After that, hey, it is out of your hands. They made the choice on their own, not you for them. [^]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Tizim
  •  Tizim
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler
Monday, April 12, 2004 11:41:06 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Hey Mick do not let anyone bother you about it. You warned everyone, and from what I understand it was defenitely carnival related. So anyone who objected, well, you had a choice, God gave you the free will to choose, what you do with that choice is your decision. Just like seeing a piece of chocolate cake when you are on a diet, it is your choice whether to stick to the diet and defeat the temptation by not eating it, or forget the diet and choose to eat it, giving in to the temptation. The cake being there became a choice to be made of which action to choose. All you did Mick was provide a choice to be made by the reader, view it or not, and then act on that choice one way or the other, on their own. After that, hey, it is out of your hands. They made the choice on their own, not you for them. [^]

AMEN!!!...
Time?? Is it the wheel that turns,or the track it leaves behind???
*~Tizim~*
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, April 12, 2004 12:19:06 PM
I think all MCW members should have a background check performed on them , as well as government issued I.D. cards .
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
barn
  •  barn
  • 50.06% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Monday, April 12, 2004 2:00:13 PM
omg people Usually i just sit back and read and take in all the feedback and info here but i have to comment.as a person who almost lost his whole hand in a shop accidentlast summer(which i have only75 percent recovered from)I believe this man was trying to show us how dangerous working on rides can be.come on everybody stomach up and work to be safe
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, April 12, 2004 2:02:53 PM
I hope you didn't take my post seriously there barn , for i am just being sarcastic .
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
barn
  •  barn
  • 50.06% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Monday, April 12, 2004 2:17:20 PM
no problom eli.I get very edgy about how people treat accidents.It wasnt your last post that riled me