orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 4:47:34 AM
Anyone here remember the Chance Rok N Roll with the "Hamster cages" that you sit in and they roll around? How many were made and when did Chance stop production of these?
punkboysa18
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 7:21:43 AM
I remember riding one of these a long time ago at fiesta. It was really pretty... it said Rok (n) Rol. The N spun around. I think there was a lever or something you would pull to make the car spin, I don't really remember.
J-bird
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 7:24:25 AM
I remember that ride when I was a kid! I haven't been on one in over 20 years, but I do remember it was a lot of fun? Are there ay still out there on the road? The last time I rode one was at Belle City Amusements in '82.
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 7:35:43 AM
Fike's Fiesta Rides of Corydon Indiana has one. Someone here on the board was travelling with them last year and maybe they will have more details...I'm going to try to see it this year.
BSA Mike
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 7:50:14 AM
All Star Midway on long island had 3 rok's at one time, now they only haveo ne, theres also one for sale on UR.COm
Skywheelrider
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 11:45:03 AM
Another, related question is, how many Allan Herschell Looper's are left, the ride the Rok N Roll is an updated version of? [:)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
ECZenith
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 12:08:06 PM
We had one here in Rocky Point, Warwick, RI. Unfortunately the whole park is gone. [V]
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."
KristopherManning
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 12:19:01 PM
Though the Chance version was an updated version of the Herschell Looper, when you ride them they actually don't do the same thing. The Roc N Rol would roll over whether you wanted it or not and you could eventually get the cages to spin constantly also the lap bar was well padded with a plush material. The Herschell Looper had a metal lapbar with minimal padding, you could rock the crap out of the cages and they would rarely roll, they also didn't(or at least the ones I've ridden) didn't have the "ramp" that catches onto the cages like the Roc N Rol to roll them over.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 12:20:47 PM
Trivia: which Chance ride replaced the Rok-N-Rol?
UserPostedImage
RideMan
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 12:44:39 PM
Kristopher, are you sure about all that? I think you're close, but not quite.

The Allan Herschell Looper has a wheel that runs behind the tub, connected to the tub axle by way of a rider-controlled clutch. The rider operates the clutch by either operating a small foot pedal, or possibly by locking the clutch with a small lever under the grab bar intended to lock the tub for loading and unloading. I rode one of those at Enchanted Village (now Six Flags) in Washington. That's where I learned that if possible, you should balance the tub!

Where my recollection of that ride differs from Kristopher's is that in the Looper, the riders are secured by a wide belt clamped down on the outboard side of the car. I wouldn't call it a lap bar, as it is stiff, but flexible.

I've never ridden a Rok 'N Roll, but if I remember correctly, the tub axle extends inboard past the dress panel and has a pneumatic tire inboard of that panel which at points around the ride rolls on a track to force the tubs to rotate. There is no rider-controlled clutch. Not sure how riders are secured, but I thought it was a belt similar to that used on the Looper.

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 1:11:45 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Wagon Wheeler? That was part of the Vari-8 line of rides they made.
A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

KristopherManning
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 1:16:13 PM
I've only ridden one Looper and never rolled over...this was about 9-10 years ago, I vaguely remember the restraints mostly because they weren't comfortable, your most likely right about the "lapbars" they probably were belts. As for rolling over I was probably riding a ride that wasn't very well kept and possibly lacked the clutch due to neglect. The Roc N Rol I rode had a belt but it wasn't as tight as the ones on the Looper, possibly because it had a lapbar that was well padded (maybe an addition by the owner of the ride?)
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 2:33:43 PM
Quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Pinetar

Wagon Wheeler? That was part of the Vari-8 line of rides they made.

Wagon Wheeler is correct, for 500 points, what innovations where added to this design?
UserPostedImage
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 2:36:09 PM
For one, it was a smaller trailer, right? I also think the sweeps moved up and down somewhat and the tubs, which looked like covered wagons, weren't only gravity controlled, but didn't they have a wheel that made them roll even if just one person was in it?
Sixcat
  •  Sixcat
  • 51.26% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, March 24, 2004 9:01:04 PM
All I remember about the two rides is the Looper was a lot bigger then the Roc N Rol
Sixcats have nine lives