orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 10:22:11 AM
I saw where someone asked about the Disko and wanted a ride review. Rode it twice at the trade show. It's a neat looking piece and I'd like to see the light show at night....

I would classify the ride as "fun"...it's no thrill ride...it's just a laid back kinda fun ride...would be a perfect ride for a show looking for an intermediate ride that would fit between the kiddies and majors...like for the 8-12 year old range of kids...

It is SMOOTH...very smooth. I thought by looking at it you'd get that over the hill "roller coaster belly drop" kind of feeling, but you don't. The most thrilling part is when it gets in full motion and as you approach the peak you happen to spin just right and it almost feels like you'll go flying off the track...

All in all, it moves pretty slow...it's just a laid back ride...but it is NOT a thrill ride. Personally, although I heard a couple of showmen talk about how they liked it, I'm not sure they'll sell many of them...(I may eat those words)because for $500,000 there's a lot more things I'd think would gross me more money than that. I'd say most people who ride it will just ride it once...I doubt it would get much repeat business.
JOHN C
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 11:16:26 AM
i wonder if any was sold during the show???
once you go carnie you never go back

UserPostedImage
cny_chris
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 6:05:50 PM
Bryan, you hit it right on the head. Not much that I can really add, other than I agree with what you said.

I was lucky enough to get a close up look at the underside of the car and the track (thanks to one of the nice folks from Zamperla). Also got a good explanation of how the ride folds up and racks. The design is well thought out, and a big plus is that there isn't much iron to schlepp around.

The ride looks a lot more thrilling than it actually is. That's not to say it isn't fun, but it isn't gonna draw a lot of repeat business on the midway, IMHO.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
BSA Mike
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 7:21:43 AM
4 got sold.....3 to parks one ot a show on the west coast...most likely RCS ...nto sure though
JustinJames
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 7:37:40 AM
poor man's Fireball LOL In the words of a friend!
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 8:22:27 AM
Maybe..but not near as much fun or exciting. There's no comparison. But I see your point!
LONNOL
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 10:01:21 AM
It is interesting that the ride seemed to get a better reception at IAAPA than Gibtown. While I will admit that it is not as fun as the Fabbri Space Jam, KMG Afterburner and other rides of their ilk, I do think that if a Disk-O had a few strobes added on the sides of loading platform, a backflash, a fogger under the track and some pop music bumping(since the average ridership would be a bit younger than the average age on the Afterburner) it could draw decently. Most of you guys are definitley much better at this type of guesswork that me, but after riding it at IAAPA I just felt that it were "dressed up" a bit it could be a decent money-maker for mid-size shows.

Adam
www.flatrides.com : Pimp-slapping you with all your flat ride needs.
JustinJames
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 10:23:53 AM
It's not MY point but thanks. I was quoting a friend of mine from here.
orphaned
  •  orphaned
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 10:25:46 AM
More good points LONNOL. That might help it some.
cny_chris
Wednesday, February 11, 2004 11:45:57 AM
Quote:

quote:

Posted - 02/11/2004 : 3:01:21 PM by LONNOL

It is interesting that the ride seemed to get a better reception at IAAPA than Gibtown. While I will admit that it is not as fun as the Fabbri Space Jam, KMG Afterburner and other rides of their ilk, I do think that if a Disk-O had a few strobes added on the sides of loading platform, a backflash, a fogger under the track and some pop music bumping(since the average ridership would be a bit younger than the average age on the Afterburner) it could draw decently. Most of you guys are definitley much better at this type of guesswork that me, but after riding it at IAAPA I just felt that it were "dressed up" a bit it could be a decent money-maker for mid-size shows.

Adam

It might help, but at $0.5 million, I'd consider it a bit on the expensive side to go after that tight of an age group. I know Zamperla is trying to keep the cost of their pieces down. That's why the "Fly High" that was on display has a lower capacity than the original model. They cut the capacity to keep the initial cost down. So I would say that these extras that you mention were probably considered, but dropped to keep the cost down.

As an aside, Zamperla is working on a park model that would seat 40, and also on an alternate theme that looks like a giant skateboard, with bench seats instead of the individual seats.

If I had half a million or so to spend, I'd definitely look more seriously at a one trailer Afterburner-type ride than the Disk'o, though.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy