JustinJames
Thursday, February 5, 2004 5:21:12 AM
I never did quite understand how one of the worst looking shows (crown) had such a killer route. I still haven't completely figured out why the boards put up with Dick. I worked in 98 on his Wipeout on Danny Menge's unit... Dick isn't what I would call a people person at all.[V]
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, February 5, 2004 1:19:48 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

I never did quite understand how one of the worst looking shows (crown) had such a killer route. I still haven't completely figured out why the boards put up with Dick. I worked in 98 on his Wipeout on Danny Menge's unit... Dick isn't what I would call a people person at all.[V]

That's easy. When your WORKING 11 months out of the year you really don't have time to paint and rebuild every piece. Really, for the most part, the general public does'nt know anything about the rides other than they go up, down, and around. They are not as finiky as the guys here. You know the ones who say that ride is junk because 10 ( that's right they counted them)bulbs are out.
Tizim
  •  Tizim
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Thursday, February 5, 2004 4:37:58 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by opie

You know the deal to buy Crown was a real sweet deal, Dick Carl just had mother nature on his side. You guys ever worked in a hurricane. It's nothing pretty. That southern route that dick carl had was nice. It was a full two unit southern route. Some spots just paid the bills,but if we could have got all the spots in that first year I wouldn't be here on this post talking to you people, I'd be on the midway ginnin!!! Jeff wanted Crown to be Pugh. He started his first year with Crown and pugh, the next year crown pugh, then finally we had four solid units of pugh shows. Jeff tried to build rome in a day and if Hurricane Floyd had not come about he might have pulled it off.
Enron and martha stewart were not good comparisons because they were wrong and jeff just had bad luck. Or you might say it was bad karma. All shows have been guilty of messing people over, jeff just seemed to do it more. J& J amusements hired me as green help last year in dublin. I went in and talked to the unit manager. Told him my experience and told him I might consider a position if the pay was fair. I tore down the entire kid land, which on this unit was about seven rides beofre the first major was on the truck. Their kiddie land foreman couldn't lead a trianed dog let alone a bunch of dopes they had to work with, so it was a real treat to do this work. I figured if i tore down 7 rides i'd at least get 10 dollars a ride. Right wrong. we started at 11 and i was down at 5. i got 5 bucks a hour. I see the reason to pay true green help this but not a guy whose trying out for the team. hell i used to kick out of my own pocket for guys that snapped on tear down to get them on my team. Of course they were always taken away shortly after but i got their talents and attributes for the good of the team. Anyway the point i'm trying to make is jeff always payed well, some say too well, but he took care of his help. He respected people who deserved it. And I personally didn't like some of his judgement calls I still feel he is a carnival icon like red woods and jim day and will always have my upmost respect and envy. So if you hold hatred for the man let me ask you this, What are you doing to make the carnival industry a better place? And what are you doing now??? Jeff was very innovative in the way we move our shows and a lot of people copied him. So all I can say is good luck Mr. Pugh in all that you do, and the rest of you who think differently. When I see you down and having a bad season. Maybe I'll kick you.

there is a place within each of us where we cannot hide from the truth,where virtue sits as a judge. to admit the truth of our actions is to go before that court,where process is irrelevant. good and bad are intents,and intent is without excuse.
we all go to a place within our hearts as often as we are able in order to escape the trap of easy justification. it is a painfull place,a naked place even,but only there,within ourselfs might we grow toward goodness;only there,where no mask can justify,might we recognize the truth of our intents,and thus,the truth of our actions. only there,where virtue sits as a judge, do people rise to the challenge.... i guess what im trying to say is,everyone is so quick to judge someone else by thier faults,intent,etc..guess what? you only judge someone by your own ignorance, only jeff knows his intent and only he shall live with it!!! another thing is,atleast jeff is going out there again to give it his best to start over, the man has heart,no,passion for this industry;he will never give-up hope of rebuilding an empire which has crumbled around him,i give the man credit no matter what he's done to me or others for that matter!?!?! GOOD DAY ALL[^]
Time?? Is it the wheel that turns,or the track it leaves behind???
*~Tizim~*
babyhughie
Monday, February 9, 2004 2:56:48 AM
I saw mr pugh thursday at the trade show.Nothing like eating a big slice of humble pie.Walked passed him and said"hey jeff".Guy looks beat down.I hope the best for him and would kinda like to see him back.
Teddybear_Lar
Monday, February 9, 2004 8:39:35 AM
HOLEY COW!!!! I cant believe the gossip. I mean I didnt really care for the show(with what little time I jumped aboard) but hey who knows but the Pughs what bull**** they went through and dealt with. I wish them all the luck in the world. The more shows out there the better and who knows what might happen the 2nd time around. [8D][8D][8D]TEDDYBEARS[8D][8D][8D]
JustinJames
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 1:40:50 PM
Hmmm... my show works 11 months a year and didn't look THAT bad EVER. Interesting observation though.[;)]
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 2:56:32 PM
Quote:

quote:

Hmmm... my show works 11 months a year and didn't look THAT bad EVER. Interesting observation though.[;)]

Of course maybe the guy would rather put the money in his pocket. After a while you don't really need to impress anybody anymore and just save for retirement.
JustinJames
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 3:00:11 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

Quote:

quote:

Of course maybe the guy would rather put the money in his pocket. After a while you don't really need to impress anybody anymore and just save for retirement.

That sounds about right my friend![;)]
JustinJames
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 3:03:01 PM
How ever, that show (Crown NOT Pugh) looked terrible when I was 8. I was 22 when they went bye bye. That's a LONG retirement fund I'd say. There Alpine Bobs was beautiful. It's the same age as the one I had on Wade. I kinda got concerned when their foreman told me they were moving it in 3 hours with 4 guys. SCARY!
JustinJames
Tuesday, February 10, 2004 3:06:52 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

Quote:

quote:

That sounds about right my friend![;)]
itsapartytx
Sunday, April 4, 2021 1:32:20 PM
He wasn't I grew up on that show.
indianacarnie
Sunday, April 4, 2021 3:57:31 PM
Well, I'm another one of those who worked on Pughs for a VERY short while ..... not a fan at all I'm afraid. Don't really care if Pugh comes back or not I know I sure won't be working there.

Crown now..... I loved that show. Sweet route , always made money there. MIchigan or the southern route didn't matter. A real fan of them tbh. Was very sad when they closed up for good.

An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
JustinJames
Sunday, April 4, 2021 5:19:45 PM
Working with Dick and his family at one of our events and hearing his perspective in things certainly changed my views on the show from 17 years ago when this topic was originally discussed.

Knowing my own knowledge of the biz versus 20-something year old me is also a real eye opener.

Listening to Dick tell the whole story is truly worth the listen.
itsapartytx
Monday, June 21, 2021 10:12:12 PM
I am dick Carl's grandson and a lot of the complaining and *ing and moaning coming from some of the people on this forum makes me kind of laugh because my grandfather was a mean but fair person who always paid very fairly if his rides didn't look the greatest it's because paint doesn't like to hold up in hurricanes with salt water but all of his rides were in good condition
itsapartytx
Monday, June 21, 2021 10:13:42 PM
I am dick Carl's grandson and a lot of the complaining and *ing and moaning coming from some of the people on this forum makes me kind of laugh because my grandfather was a mean but fair person who always paid very fairly if his rides didn't look the greatest it's because paint doesn't like to hold up in hurricanes with salt water but all of his rides were in good condition