archived01
Thursday, January 29, 2004 7:56:00 AM
Hey guys

Just got back from our trip to used rides. I have to be honest it was more than a little disappointing. D*mn Photoshop LOL.

The best part of the trip was a stop at High Lite Rides. Mike gave us a tour of his shop and I have to say he has a building that is really impressive. He was working on re-building a Loop O Plain and also has started to build a trailer mounted rim drive Ferris wheel that pulls with a one-ton pick up. Mike said it will be a 10 seater. He has several overhead cranes and a very nice machine shop. He also showed us how he makes fiberglass vehicles, seats, and scenery for the merry go round. It was very interesting and I have to say it was really nice of him to take the time to teach us a little bit about the process. He showed us how they make the molds for the vehicles. I learned a lot so the trip was not a complete loss. Thanks to Mike we had a great time. If you guys get a chance you should take trip to his place.

Patrick
BSA Mike
Thursday, January 29, 2004 8:14:35 AM
yes the usedrides lot is a little less then to be desired, we stoppedi n there last year after leaving gibtown
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 29, 2004 8:42:36 AM
Why was it dissappointing? No stock, junk?

Has f'glassing changed over the years from the chop guns, anything different you would like to share with us?
UserPostedImage
archived01
Thursday, January 29, 2004 10:17:42 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Why was it dissappointing? No stock, junk?

Has f'glassing changed over the years from the chop guns, anything different you would like to share with us?

Lets just say the stuff that is listed as being "in our lot" wasn't there or it just left before we got there[;)] The fury we looked at was in very poor condition. We were told there were 2 fury's and when we got there one was all they had. The other one just left the lot along with most of the decent stuff advertised. Oh sooo close. LOL. Trying to be as pc as possible we went because we were told one thing and found the truth to be something very different. Oh well live and learn I guess.

Yeah he uses those guns that chop the thread up. Nothing realy new I don't think but I just have never realy looked that far into how the process works. I have always been more interested in repairs. I just think that the stop at mikes place was the only positive part of the whole trip and I do mean he is a h#ll of a nice guy. We got to his place late and he took the time to just kind of hang with us and show us around.
bigeli
  •  bigeli
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, January 29, 2004 10:30:12 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Alpine Amusement

Quote:

quote:

I just think that the stop at mikes place was the only positive part of the whole trip and I do mean he is a h#ll of a nice guy. We got to his place late and he took the time to just kind of hang with us and show us around.

That's really cool he would do that . That's what it's all about , sharing knowledge and experience .
So, in a few years, if you're walking down a midway and see a Sixcat or a Swinger or a bucket, look around. You might recognize an old man with a smile on his face. Especially if he's saying, "Hey Buddy, can I ask ya?" -sixcat,circa. 2007
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, January 29, 2004 10:44:57 AM
Factory trips are always enlightening, we did the same thing with Reverchon in Paris, years ago, even then they were using the chop guns on the skooter bodies.
UserPostedImage
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Thursday, January 29, 2004 10:46:13 AM
You know that they have several different lots of storage. Although some of the rides that they have listed as in our lot are actually out on the road. Tommy had our little funhouse listed as in our lot but we were out working it right up untill it sold.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
archived01
Thursday, January 29, 2004 11:51:30 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jimmy D

You know that they have several different lots of storage. Although some of the rides that they have listed as in our lot are actually out on the road. Tommy had our little funhouse listed as in our lot but we were out working it right up untill it sold.

Jimmy D

Yeah I know what you are saying but we were told that the stuff was there. That is why we spent the money to go down and to get there and the stuff wasn't there. I'm not mad but I wouldn't go again. The fury we were talking about was suposed to have lights and be in good condition. This thing had no lights, the boat had a gash in the side, the heads were all scratched up, the main supports that attach to the boat were bent, all the electrical boxes were missing covers, and the brackets where you hang the sign from were bent. Not to mention the the main hydrolic cylinders were leaking and there was fluid all over the passenger side of the trailer.
Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, January 29, 2004 6:13:05 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Alpine Amusement

Quote:

Yeah I know what you are saying but we were told that the stuff was there. That is why we spent the money to go down and to get there and the stuff wasn't there. I'm not mad but I wouldn't go again. The fury we were talking about was suposed to have lights and be in good condition. This thing had no lights, the boat had a gash in the side, the heads were all scratched up, the main supports that attach to the boat were bent, all the electrical boxes were missing covers, and the brackets where you hang the sign from were bent. Not to mention the the main hydrolic cylinders were leaking and there was fluid all over the passenger side of the trailer.

I'm amazed by how quickly some shows will destroy equipment.

UserPostedImage

Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Friday, January 30, 2004 1:31:45 AM
Very few shows trade in or sell their good stuff. They dump their beat-up looking, non-productive, hard to move or old junk stuff.

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

archived01
Friday, January 30, 2004 2:16:04 AM

I'm amazed by how quickly some shows will destroy equipment.

I can't understand it, how can someone spend that kind of money and trash it like that. We go from ride to ride during set up and teardown. It takes us longer to move but we rarely even brake light bulbs let alone have something get beat up like that. I remebmer when we got our wipeout. I racked two cars wrong and smashed the fiberglass, I still get sick to my stomach when I think about that because it was such a stupid mistake. I learned my lesson I double check everything now. knock on wood we haven't had anything get damaged in a long time.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, January 30, 2004 3:54:43 AM
I taught my key people to not bog down on any one ride but to be at a specific ride as a specific procedure is about to be done, usually involving hydraulics, so as to not turn that ride into a pretzel. A temp Zipper foreman jumped the gun on me and extended the tower too far and snapped off a screwjack off the deck (he never did it before, I always did) which almost let the ride do a 90 deg. flop.
UserPostedImage
orphaned
Friday, January 30, 2004 4:17:34 AM
I was told by a show owner at the KY Fair Convention three weeks ago that there was VERY little on the lot at USED RIDES. He said he had a driver take a load over and there was just nothing there much.
orphaned
Friday, January 30, 2004 4:24:10 AM
Only if you are interested, here's the link to thread where I posted I'd heard this...

http://www.rideguy.com/f.../topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4087 
JW
  •  JW
  • 56.74% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, February 1, 2004 2:12:25 AM
Sounds like a lot of the "better" equipment may be at the used Rides lot in Gibsonton.
"Don't forget to be half fair and give a little credit to the small concessionaire"