cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 1:06:51 PM
Okay, here goes -- there's a bunch of us who are here that are history buffs of the American carnival. My question is, what is the oldest Amusement Ride that is still on the road today (I am not talking about ride type/model, but an individual ride which is "substantially" original (i.e. mechanicals and structure)) here in the United States. I know there are a lot of oldies still in some parks, but I am just interested in those that travel (in this topic).

If I had to guess, it would be a kiddie ride or a wheel. So what can you offer to the discussion? Links preferred, but not necessary. I am really interested to see where this one goes![;)]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
BSA Mike
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 1:18:04 PM
idk what year or whos, but im sure a tilt-a-whirl is out there which is pretty freakin old ..
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 1:19:58 PM
Yeah, Mike, I didn't think of that. How old is yours, it's as good of a start as any![:D][:D]

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
squirrel
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 1:29:56 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Okay, here goes -- there's a bunch of us who are here that are history buffs of the American carnival. My question is, what is the oldest Amusement Ride that is still on the road today (I am not talking about ride type/model, but an individual ride which is "substantially" original (i.e. mechanicals and structure)) here in the United States. I know there are a lot of oldies still in some parks, but I am just interested in those that travel (in this topic).

If I had to guess, it would be a kiddie ride or a wheel. So what can you offer to the discussion? Links preferred, but not necessary. I am really interested to see where this one goes![;)]

We operate a 1956 Allen Hershell 36' 3-abreast carousel - original wood platforms (minus repairs). Also operating a 1959 g/m Eli-Bridge Scrambler as well. I know these are nowhere close to the oldest rides still on the road, but it's a start! [8D]
cny_chris
  •  cny_chris
  • 57.38% (Neutral)
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 1:36:50 PM
Thanks, squirrel. That's all this topic needs, a start! So, who can beat that?[?][:D]

Ohio Ron
  •  Ohio Ron
  • 50.72% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 2:08:37 PM
Drew has a 1948 AH Carousel with wood platforms that was at the Marion County Fair in Indianapolis last summer.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 2:14:07 PM
I think a ground mount Eli #5 would be the oldest you will find, especially since they are the same since the 20's. 50's rides are still very common, Skyfighters etc.. Then you get into the Tilts and what about the Mangels fire engine punk ride, 30's. 40's.
UserPostedImage
Mamatiger
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 2:18:57 PM
The Lions Club Carnival of Orange, Texas has a 1939 Eli wheel...not sure, though, if it's "on the road" or if it belongs to the Lions and they only drag it out once a year...
http://www.orangelions.com/Carnival1.htm 
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain
RideMan
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 2:28:47 PM
secret squirrel, that 1959 Scrambler would be one of the originals, then...as I understand it, the one at Old Town was built in 1957, taken all over the country for a couple of years, then Eli went into production in '59, building quite a few of them that year.

I would expect the oldest ride still on the road to be something from Eli, either a ground mount #5 or an Aristocrat. No idea whose would be the oldest, though. The first Tilt-A-Whirl didn't hit the ground until 1926 or so.

I wonder how many rides are out there that nobody can remember how old they are...[:D]

--Dave Althoff, Jr.
squirrel
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:04:19 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RideMan

secret squirrel, that 1959 Scrambler would be one of the originals, then...as I understand it, the one at Old Town was built in 1957, taken all over the country for a couple of years, then Eli went into production in '59, building quite a few of them that year.

I would expect the oldest ride still on the road to be something from Eli, either a ground mount #5 or an Aristocrat. No idea whose would be the oldest, though. The first Tilt-A-Whirl didn't hit the ground until 1926 or so.

I wonder how many rides are out there that nobody can remember how old they are...[:D]

--Dave Althoff, Jr.

I guess in that aspect that I should add some more history. Our Scrambler is mechanically original (with exception of expendable parts such as door latches and bearings, etc...). We still operate the same rheostat control that was issued by Eli Bridge originally (I reconditioned it two years ago for lack of needing several fingers re-brushed). All the tubs and iron is original (not cross-matched with another Scrambler) and it still runs as fast as factory spec. (faster when last 5 fingers are not 'disabled'). We painted ours two years ago, and it will soon be getting another facelift. I am pushing for silver/blue paint scheme (but we'll see in a year or two whether or not I win that one) and want to work on re-finishing our tubs back to the factory-aluminum finish instead of painted like they are now.

I knew our show didn't operate the 'oldest' travelling equipment in the industry, but I know that we do have some older equipment. I know if I was to go digging out in the GAS/GAC graveyard, I'm sure I would find parts to rides that some of you have never even heard of... (but they aren't travelling anymore, so it doesn't count here).
BSA Mike
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:08:38 PM
our tilt-a-whirl is a 1948 model..but was redone from wooden platforms and catwalks to steel in 1977....not the oldest, but pretty old....and she still spins to this day, lets see one of them overseas monsters last that long!

LONG LIVE AMERICAN RIDES!!!

BTW: We also own a 1922 Pinto Fire Engine Ride, will make its reappearence in the 2004 season looking better then ever (pics of refurbishment soon!)

Da Bair
  •  Da Bair
  • 50.18% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:09:14 PM
Cool history SS.
Have to agree with 'tar and rideman that the winner of this "contest" would most likely be an Eli wheel.

Our Bulgy is a '56

UserPostedImage

squirrel
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:13:02 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by SDS Mike

PREACH ON MY BROTHER!
I can't say that too loud, tho - because I know you would like a KMG Freak Out on your show just as much as I would on mine (and that's definately not a US ride...). Then again, I'll take a good Chance Zipper or Flying Bobs any day for sake of well built long lasting American rides...

squirrel
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:21:22 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by bairbros

Cool history SS.
Have to agree with 'tar and rideman that the winner of this "contest" would most likely be an Eli wheel.

Our Bulgy is a '56

I'm almost sure of it -- Eli Bridge has always built well designed, solid, and durable equipment. If you take care of one of them or move/maintain one - you can tell very quickly what I mean by well-built and well-designed versus some of the rides made by other manufacturers these days... I would imagine that it will be a toss-up between an Eyerly ride, Eli Bridge Ride, or along those lines... I know Mangel's produced equipment way back in the day - GAC used to have an old Mangel's Whip with wooden decking, etc... Then there were rides like the Frolic and others... Someday I'll get the chance to delve into the history of GAC here or most likely on the www.rideguy.com  website... I have sources of pictures/printed history, as well as spoken history from years of family based operation of the show... I just need the extra days added to the weeks to have time for it all 🙂
BSA Mike
Tuesday, December 30, 2003 3:36:24 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by secret.squirrel

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by SDS Mike

PREACH ON MY BROTHER!
I can't say that too loud, tho - because I know you would like a KMG Freak Out on your show just as much as I would on mine (and that's definately not a US ride...). Then again, I'll take a good Chance Zipper or Flying Bobs any day for sake of well built long lasting American rides...

SHHH!...but how i would love a freak out!