Skywheelrider
Friday, December 12, 2003 10:32:04 AM
The Michigan State Fair has radically changed dates for the 2004 fair. Normally the fair runs the last two weeks of August and ends on Labour Day every year. Been this way for many many many years, as long as I have been alive and beyond. Well, new dates for 2004 are

11-22 August 2004 (for a 12 day fair)

a DRASTIC move that will impact a few county fairs as well as the Upper Peninsula State Fair in Escanaba (Michigan's other state fair that always has run the week before the main state fair in Detroit). Wade Shows still has the contract for both fairs, as well as a three county fairs that would be running at the same time. This will be very interesting. In 2003 the fair added a third weekend for a total run of 18 days, but opened a day late because of the big blackout. And because of short notice on the added weekend, Wade Shows only had a small partial midway there the first weekend, because of other Michigan county fair commitments. Because of the blackout, poor weather, and school starting the week before Labour Day, attendance was down for 2003 by approximately 17%. One reason for the switch is said to be the fact that most schools in Michigan start at least the week before Labour Day, and a few in 2003 (the district my parents teach and Principal in among them) started school the Thursday before that, a full 11 days before Labour Day. According to John Hertel, fair manager, early school starts has affected state fair attendance greatly, and this is one way to circumvent the problem. So 2004 should be a VERY interesting year here in Michigan as far as fairs go. I hope they are making the right decision, although it will not be the same with no state fair on Labour Day weekend. What will be most interesting is to see how Wade Shows handles this, as other fairs they play during that time are the Branch County Fair in Coldwater, Berrien County Fair in Berrien Springs, and Midland County Fair in Midland, as well as the Upper Peninsula State Fair in Escanaba. Gee, another episode of "As the Ferris Wheel Turns," with this episode taking place in Michigan. [^]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, December 12, 2003 4:29:24 PM
Doesn't Wade send a unit to New Mexico right after Labor Day? The Michigan date change would help them with that.
In the 70's the Ohio State Fair, too, ran thru Labor day but changed because schools opened earlier. So far, in NY carnivals and tourist attractions have lobbied to not have schools open before labor day.
Skywheelrider
Friday, December 12, 2003 4:51:55 PM
New Mexico State Fair is an odd situation. Yes, it starts the Friday after Labour Day, but Wade sent equipment there in 2000-2002, but in 2003 the contract was re-bid and Wade and Murphy Brothers bid together and got it, and Murphy Brothers and Desert Star Amusements provided the rides, Wade only provided the "amenities" like tables, benches, chairs, umbrellas, etc. Wade does send a unit to Independence, Missouri (outside of Kansas City) for the Santi-Cali-Gon Days festival, and that takes place Labour Day weekend, and to my knowledge they were sending equipment from there to New Mexico, because Frank Zaitshik said that nothing at the Michigan State Fair would be going to New Mexico, not enough time between dates. The equipment in Detroit always then went to Allegan, Michigan (west side of the state) and some went ahead to Oklahoma City, some ahead to Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and sat dead. Allegan always opens the Friday after Labour Day for 10 days and is one of Michigan's largest county fairs, and Mid America Shows now has the contract starting in 2004. Wade will be playing Knoxville, Tennessee right after Labour Day now, so who knows what will happen. I bet between now and August some fairs switch dates. Going to be VERRRRRY interesting, to say the least. [;)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Majestic Fan1982
Saturday, December 13, 2003 3:06:47 AM
See I hate when Fair comittees change dates around.

It's like ok you have had this fair on a certain week for many many many years. why change? but then again there are many reasons why fair comittees like trying something new.

Here in Pennsylvania i have a nice fire company carnival which was ran by Majestic Midways and then Skelly's Amusements in a week in Sept for many many many years.

This was the close out season fair in my state.

Well what did the fair comittee do?

Yep you guessed it. changed it to a week in April of all months.

which can be very cold and rainy.

Yes they did well for 2003 but they might not be so lucky next year.

And now with the dates change thing, i have no fairs here in Sept, and i have 4 running here in april all around the same time frame, instead of spread out month by month.

It's not Skelly's fault though. The Fair comittee wanted the change so Skelly's has to make them happy so they can keep the contract.

Thats just life.
Larry Smith
Saturday, December 13, 2003 3:13:43 AM
So they will be playing the date in Knoxville that used to be had by CVS then?
carnivalangel14
Saturday, December 13, 2003 3:51:35 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

The Michigan State Fair has radically changed dates for the 2004 fair. Normally the fair runs the last two weeks of August and ends on Labour Day every year. Been this way for many many many years, as long as I have been alive and beyond. Well, new dates for 2004 are

11-22 August 2004 (for a 12 day fair)

a DRASTIC move that will impact a few county fairs as well as the Upper Peninsula State Fair in Escanaba (Michigan's other state fair that always has run the week before the main state fair in Detroit). Wade Shows still has the contract for both fairs, as well as a three county fairs that would be running at the same time. This will be very interesting. In 2003 the fair added a third weekend for a total run of 18 days, but opened a day late because of the big blackout. And because of short notice on the added weekend, Wade Shows only had a small partial midway there the first weekend, because of other Michigan county fair commitments. Because of the blackout, poor weather, and school starting the week before Labour Day, attendance was down for 2003 by approximately 17%. One reason for the switch is said to be the fact that most schools in Michigan start at least the week before Labour Day, and a few in 2003 (the district my parents teach and Principal in among them) started school the Thursday before that, a full 11 days before Labour Day. According to John Hertel, fair manager, early school starts has affected state fair attendance greatly, and this is one way to circumvent the problem. So 2004 should be a VERY interesting year here in Michigan as far as fairs go. I hope they are making the right decision, although it will not be the same with no state fair on Labour Day weekend. What will be most interesting is to see how Wade Shows handles this, as other fairs they play during that time are the Branch County Fair in Coldwater, Berrien County Fair in Berrien Springs, and Midland County Fair in Midland, as well as the Upper Peninsula State Fair in Escanaba. Gee, another episode of "As the Ferris Wheel Turns," with this episode taking place in Michigan. [^]

Thanks for the info Chris. [:)]
*_ Agility~ My anti drug!!_*
Tornado
Saturday, December 13, 2003 4:36:56 AM
Hey Chris,
does Wade have enough equipment to play:

2 State Fairs
and
3 county Fairs

all at the same time??? Sounds like 175 plus rides would be needed to play all these dates a once... Sounds like he would have to book a couple of other shows...
rdcolles
  •  rdcolles
  • 57.6% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, December 13, 2003 4:58:48 AM
Normally, does a contract, such as the Michigan State Fair contract, include the specific dates? If so, what does Michigan changing the dates do to the contract? Is Wade contractually obligated to provide the midway even though the dates were changed? Does a contract normally include a provision that the fair has the right to change the dates?
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Saturday, December 13, 2003 5:11:01 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Majestic Fan1982

See I hate when Fair comittees change dates around.

It's like ok you have had this fair on a certain week for many many many years. why change? but then again there are many reasons why fair comittees like trying something new.

Here in Pennsylvania i have a nice fire company carnival which was ran by Majestic Midways and then Skelly's Amusements in a week in Sept for many many many years.

This was the close out season fair in my state.

Well what did the fair comittee do?

Yep you guessed it. changed it to a week in April of all months.

which can be very cold and rainy.

Yes they did well for 2003 but they might not be so lucky next year.

And now with the dates change thing, i have no fairs here in Sept, and i have 4 running here in april all around the same time frame, instead of spread out month by month.

It's not Skelly's fault though. The Fair comittee wanted the change so Skelly's has to make them happy so they can keep the contract.

Thats just life.

Pat,

The date change was more so our idea. We had a real nice event stop running in April so we gave the fire company a call to see if they wanted to run then.

A springtime carnival is usually busier than in the fall. In the fall, kids are heading back to school so the weeknights were not very busy. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were the only produtive days. With the event now running the week before Easter, Kids have a half day on Holy Thursday and off Good Friday.

Weather wise it could be rainy and cold in April or September. There were a few times we were watching a hurricane make it's way up the coast during September. However, everyone gets cabin fever during the Winter; they have been couped up in their house and are looking for for a reason to get out in the Spring, so a 55 degree night in April feels better than a 55 degree night in September.

A final factor is Summer vacation. We are very close to Wildwood, Ocean City, N.J. and Ocean City, Md. so there is not as much excitement to go to the local carnival in September since many just finished their shore trip in August.

The event this year was much better this year. In the Spring we are scaling up our operation. That's why there were a few more rides in there than before. The only negative is we are usually finishing something up painting wise; last year it was the Ferris Wheel, this yeart it will probably be the Tilt.

A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

Skywheelrider
Saturday, December 13, 2003 5:40:14 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Larry Smith

So they will be playing the date in Knoxville that used to be had by CVS then?

Yes, that is correct. [:)]
Skywheelrider
Saturday, December 13, 2003 5:52:47 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tornado

Hey Chris,
does Wade have enough equipment to play:

2 State Fairs
and
3 county Fairs

all at the same time??? Sounds like 175 plus rides would be needed to play all these dates a once... Sounds like he would have to book a couple of other shows...

Wade usually brings 60-65 rides to Detroit (Michigan State Fair) each year, about 30-35 to Escanaba (Upper Peninsula State Fair), and as far as the Branch County Fair in Coldwater, the second unit plays it, and I have never been there, but I believe around 25 rides go in there, and I know that in Midland they bring in around 30 rides. Not sure about Berrien Springs, rumour was they were not going to be back there in 2004, but I have not heard anything either way so I cannot say, so I am not sure about how many rides usually go there (never been there, it is in the Southwest corner of the state, about 2-1/2-3 hours from Detroit). The second unit always plays the Dearborn Homecoming right before Coldwater, not all the equipment though as some is set up beforehand in Coldwater, and what is in Dearborn overnights to Coldwater, and the Dearborn Homecoming dates for 2004 are 6-8 August. So, as it stands right now:

During the first week of the Michigan State Fair, also running:
Branch County Fair, Coldwater

During the second week of the Michigan State Fair, also running:
Upper Peninsula State Fair, Escanaba
Midland County Fair, Midland
Berrien County Fair, Berrien Springs

Now, Wade also used to play the Jackson County Fair in Jackson, which runs the same week as Coldwater, but now Mid America Shows has that spot, so that frees up Wade (and I see why they did not seem to be concerned about Mid America getting it).

But hey, dates can change, I would not be surprised to see some of these other fairs move dates around to accomodate Wade. Ionia is accomodating Wade by starting a week later and ending on a Saturday, and the Ingham County Fair in Mason is also accomodating Wade by starting a week later so Wade can play Ionia. It just gets more and more interesting all the time. A source told me 2004 was going to be full of changes that would shock and surprise people, and so far this source of mine has been correct. [;)]

Skywheelrider
Saturday, December 13, 2003 6:01:09 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by rdcolles

Normally, does a contract, such as the Michigan State Fair contract, include the specific dates? If so, what does Michigan changing the dates do to the contract? Is Wade contractually obligated to provide the midway even though the dates were changed? Does a contract normally include a provision that the fair has the right to change the dates?

To be totally honest Robin, I am not 100% sure what Wade's contract for the Michigan State Fair calls for, other than a specific number of rides. My educated guess is that the fair dates are NOT covered, and the fair can change them at any time. 2003 is a good example--Wade was told about two months before the State Fair that the fair was adding a third weekend, and that forced Wade to scramble, as per the contract they have to have rides there. At that time they also were playing the fair in Escanaba and the fair in Midland and the fair in Berrien Springs, and what happened was the rides not being used that weekend were put up in Detroit (Zyklon, Scooter 2700, Bumper Boats, Hitin' 2000, Rainbow, Grand Carousel, etc.), along with a few rides booked in by Doug Clark (Tilt-A-Whirl, Mangels Fire Engines, Kiddie Bumper Boats, Molina Coaster, etc.). They had nothing in kiddieland and nothing past the western side of the midway until they moved in rides from the other three spots the Monday after the fair opened. It was very chaotic, trying to spot rides and get them set up with the fair open, and I know that Wade was NOT pleased with that arrangement. I wish I could see into the future right now to see what is going to happen, but I guess we just wait and see. [;)]
JustinJames
Saturday, December 13, 2003 10:16:34 AM
Hmmm... Very Interesting Watson.[;)]

Maybe I WILL drive weekends for Wade... Hmmm[8)]
Majestic Fan1982
Monday, December 15, 2003 9:50:37 PM
Hoffa brought up some very good points about date changes.

The only reason i didnt like the change was the fact i have alot of carnivals all running in april and may and none in Sept.

I had Henry T Cole Shows here out at Granite Run Mall in Media in Sept of 2002 and then he played that spot way early this year in May.

Also had a nice Church fair in Sept but they done away with it for awhile.

I just miss my Sept Fairs, gives me something to do before being pend in work and at home during the winter months.

So Skywheelrider maybe thats why michigan state Fair changed their dates

Maybe they are trying to get away from Labor Day Weekend since people do go away around that time for a little bit?
Skywheelrider
Tuesday, December 16, 2003 2:27:21 AM
Labour Day really has nothing to do with the Michigan State Fair changing dates, shoot, they have ended the fair on Labour Day for decades, back to when my parents were children and would go, it was tradition. The real reason I think is the fact school starts so much earlier in Michigan each year it seems. First it was the Thursday before Labour Day, then Wednesday, then Tuesday, then Monday, now even earlier than that in some districts (my parents' included (my Dad is an Elementary School Principal and my Mom a 1st Grade teacher, both in the Wayne-Westland Community School District, which is just west of Detroit). The original plan for the state fair that was announced a couple months ago was for the 2004 fair to run the same dates as this year, but during the week not open until 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. You see the fair is located right on the border with Detroit/Ferndale, or Wayne/Oakland County, and Detroit residents account for a big percentage of the attendance, and school started their about 10 days before Labour Day this year, and that hurts the fair. So, by changing the dates to end a couple weeks before Labour Day, they will avoid that, and attendance, I would think, should go up. People will still go on vacation during fair time, no matter when it is held. But a change in dates should help overall. I am just curious mostly to see what Wade Shows does and/or thinks about it, and what other fairs they play during that time will do. [:)]