Bossman
  •  Bossman
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Sunday, November 30, 2003 10:51:10 AM
What do you think is more important, to have a ferris wheel or MGR? You can't have both the wheel and MGR, which would be more important for the small show.
BSA Mike
FunkyTown
Sunday, November 30, 2003 10:55:58 AM
Well Bossman, I'll say that a small show should go for a MGR. No worries about height and it's a classic, but then again the wheel is too. Hmmm... I'll still go for the MGR. [:D]
archived04
Sunday, November 30, 2003 11:15:11 AM
defeniately the merry go round
LuckyStar
Sunday, November 30, 2003 11:45:32 AM
Ditto for me....I would say the MGR
Matthew
Sunday, November 30, 2003 11:47:23 AM
Can't argue enough. It has got to be a mgr. I've only seen one fair a number of years ago where there was nither a wheel or mgr on the midway. I don't know who owned the rides but there was a Scat, Spider and a Cobra themed as the Tornado.
Mamatiger
Sunday, November 30, 2003 1:22:36 PM
The MGR is the heart of the midway...it's not a real carnival without one, just a collection of assorted rides.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain
BeauceCarnavalMan
Sunday, November 30, 2003 1:46:40 PM
Both you need a AH MGR and a Mullgan Wheel
BeauceCarnavalMan
jay
  •  jay
  • 50.66% (Neutral)
  • Foreman
Sunday, November 30, 2003 2:16:16 PM
Its got to be the merry-go-round, also known as the key to the midway.
I believe the first thing people think of when they think carnival is the MGR.Even at Disney the first ride you come to is the carosel.

Boss if you are looking for a small one PM me.
http://jessopamuse.com 
How you make a small fortune in the carnival bussiness.
Start with a large one!
2ndgencarnie
Sunday, November 30, 2003 4:09:11 PM
My father had an 8-10 ride show, the best purchase he ever made was the MGR. Its slow, just like a wheel, don't win a penny but the spots it books is unreal, We have aN A.H. Lil' Beauty, best purchase we ever made!
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 30, 2003 4:14:33 PM
Do you have a reason for asking bossman or are you just bored?
UserPostedImage
Bossman
  •  Bossman
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Operations Topic Starter
Sunday, November 30, 2003 4:22:12 PM
Pinetar, no, I'm not bored. As you may know I have retired from my public job of many years. My son and I are planning to enlarger our list of pieces this winter to attract larger events and festivals. Most ask if you have a mgr but a few ask about a wheel. I just wanted the opinions of people like yourself that are in the know.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, November 30, 2003 4:25:01 PM
That info helps and you know I have the Rodeo.
UserPostedImage
cny_chris
Sunday, November 30, 2003 4:50:57 PM
The MGR may be what the fair board is looking for, but the wheel is a big light tower that says "The Carnival is HERE". I'd figure on having both, but put the priority on what will get you the spot in the first place. Then, once you have the spot, you can eventually get the "advertising" to promote it.

Since the fair boards are asking about the MGR, I'd say it's #1 on the list. But that wheel would have to be a very close (and I mean VERY close) #2. Just my 2 cents worth.[:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Skywheelrider
Sunday, November 30, 2003 6:36:31 PM
Yep, first two rides I would purchase if starting out would be a MGR and a wheel, in that order. Spots LOVE having a MGR, and a wheel, like Chris said, says "HEY! THE CARNIVAL IS HERE! COME ON IN!" [:)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain