archived14
Friday, November 28, 2003 2:15:12 AM
What rides does Strates normally use for a partial show,like the one coming up in Orlando at Science Center? And do they bring the train to those out of Orlando or just hump some trucks over?
Larry Smith
Friday, November 28, 2003 10:40:28 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if this event was subbed out to Carol Stream with them maybe putting in a couple pieces. I cannot imagine them having anything really big there (IE: Huss pieces) due to the fact its only a 3 day event.
cny_chris
Friday, November 28, 2003 5:03:15 PM
For a 3 day event, I'd say it's pretty safe to bet that none of the Huss pieces, the multi-trailer music rides, or the giant wheel will be set up. Sounds like a spot for Magid's Eli Wheel, Musik Express (1 trailer), a Cliff Hanger/Hang Glider, possibly the Skooter, *maybe* the KMG Fireball, a slide, and some of the simpler kiddie rides. This isn't a state fair, so the big iron just isn't necessary, especially since the run is as short as it is.

Strates has not set up the entire show in Danbury, CT the last two years, but they have set up some of the larger pieces (Top Spin, Giant Wheel) along with the Remix, Reverchon Himmy, KMG and Larson Fireballs, among others. Then again, they were there for a whole month this year, so it is worth setting them up. (Nothing from Magid is at this spot to the best of my knowledge.)

If you're gonna gross enough from a piece to make it worth setting up, then you will set it up. But if a piece has a bad year at one of these events, I wouldn't expect to see it set up the following year at the event. It's simple Economics 101.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
TopSpinJay
Friday, November 28, 2003 5:43:43 PM
the road show will be at that event at the science center non of the train dependant peices will be there.

for spots less then 5 days they wont set up the huss peices. you will most likely see the rides that are able to go over the road
You'll miss us when were gone....
Mst458
Friday, November 28, 2003 6:41:31 PM
Back in the 1980's/early 1990's when the Strates Shows played our Fair (Chemung County Fair - Horseheads, NY), they would always set up all their Huss pieces. We always had the Rainbow, Pirate, Enterprise, etc.

The Chemung County Fair is only a 6 day Fair, however in the late 1980's/ early 1990's it was basically a 5 day Fair due to the fact the train was always a day late arriving. So instead of a Tuesday - Sunday event, it was a Wednesday - Sunday event.
Skywheelrider
Friday, November 28, 2003 6:52:20 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Mst458

Back in the 1980's/early 1990's when the Strates Shows played our Fair (Chemung County Fair - Horseheads, NY), they would always set up all their Huss pieces. We always had the Rainbow, Pirate, Enterprise, etc.

The Chemung County Fair is only a 6 day Fair, however in the late 1980's/ early 1990's it was basically a 5 day Fair due to the fact the train was always a day late arriving. So instead of a Tuesday - Sunday event, it was a Wednesday - Sunday event.

You all find a show for your fair in 2004 yet?? Just curious. [;)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Mst458
Friday, November 28, 2003 7:22:07 PM
The last I heard the following carnivals are in the running:
1) Strates Shows
2) Amusements of America
3) Powers Great American Midways
4) Reithoffer Shows

Should know something in January after the NYS Fair convention

There is a slight chance that our current carnival might be back to finish out their last year on their contract if the ruling goes in their favor.

Skywheelrider
Friday, November 28, 2003 8:10:46 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Mst458

The last I heard the following carnivals are in the running:
1) Strates Shows
2) Amusements of America
3) Powers Great American Midways
4) Reithoffer Shows

Should know something in January after the NYS Fair convention

There is a slight chance that our current carnival might be back to finish out their last year on their contract if the ruling goes in their favor.

So, Coleman Bros. still has a year left on the contract? I did not realize that (although you may have mentioned it before). And you are going to most likely sign a DIFFERENT show to play the fair? Whoa....sounds like lawyers will be involved. And if that happens, and the fair loses, a really lousy midway COULD be coming your way in 2004, IMHO. (Note I said COULD! Not would!) [xx(]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
powersbt
  •  powersbt
  • 52.56% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Friday, November 28, 2003 10:34:55 PM
Think Reithoffer would be interested in Horseheads?? I'm not sure on the numbers from that spot, but I did get over there a few years ago when Midway Rides of Utica was in Watkins Glen. It seemed like the right size event for Coleman. The only other show I see that would fit the bill would be Gillette, but their route doesn't change during fair season. Powers seems to want to go South more and more each year, so we are seeing less of them. A possibility though. As far as A of A or Reithoffer, I wouldn't expect a whole unit in there. Maybe a split unit like what Reithoffer does during the week of Fonda and Schaticoke.

Brett
What do you get if you crossed a Merry Mixer with a Berry Go Round??
3 Possible answers:
1. A Merry Go Round
2. A Berry Mixer
3. Jam
TopSpinJay
Saturday, November 29, 2003 4:35:48 AM
powersbt is right, PGAM is spending less time each year in NY so i have a feeling that they might not want it UNLESS the gross is good
You'll miss us when were gone....
Mst458
Saturday, November 29, 2003 4:47:01 PM
Yes, lawyers will more then likely be involved if Coleman fights it.

Horseheads, NY is Coleman's biggest spot.

I know that Mr. Powers toured our Fair last summer and is interested in playing our Fair.

Strates Shows is also interested as they have a two or three week lay over between Vestal, NY and Hamburg, NY.

With Amusements of America and Reithoffer Shows there might have to be some date shifting.

When Reithoffer Shows sent us a proposal a few years ago it was the orange unit that wanted to come. I don't know what unit is interested this time. I think it's the blue though.

Gillette Shows didn't submit a proposal because they already have a Fair that week that they have a very good relationship with.