J-bird
  •  J-bird
  • 51.68% (Neutral)
  • Foreman Topic Starter
Thursday, October 16, 2003 5:12:30 PM
Anyone familiar with this carnival? They are scheduled to play a nearby fair and I have never seen them before.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, October 16, 2003 7:42:18 PM
yes they play TN AL GA. They have an Inverter? Sort of like a rolloplane, a zipper, ring of fire, eli wheel, etc
orphaned
Friday, October 17, 2003 9:26:59 AM
When did they get an Inverter? I see them about once a year and I talk with the Tuckers every year at the KY Fair Convention. Last I knew they had added a Super Loop. I saw them at a small gig downin Tennessee a couple years back. They had a Zipper, Scooter, Sizzler, Hrubetz Fireball and a couple of other pieces. They are pretty nice people to sit and chat with. It's a small show, but clean and they run a TIGHT ship.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, October 17, 2003 10:32:16 AM
Bryan: sorry it's not called an Inverter. I can't remember the name but it is very similar to a LoopOplane. their's is green & white.
What is the name.>?????
Stormy
Friday, October 17, 2003 10:37:37 AM
Eyerly Sidewinder...[:)]

Rainman has some pics of Terry's on his webshots site-

http://community.webshots.com/user/rainman531 
UserPostedImage

Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, October 17, 2003 12:11:54 PM
Thanks, Stormy! the name of that always escapes me. Theirs is the first one I ever saw.
Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 18, 2003 4:58:25 AM
I went to google looking for info on the Sidewinder and couldn't find anything other than the fact that Eyerly made it, no photos or history of it. It isn't on the flatrides.com site or any other except mentioned in a few in a list of Eyerly rides.
Is it that rare? How old is it?
Google did bring up a story about the Monster breakign at Strates show in FLA back in 1988 in which a girl was killed. I remember that. I was in Vegas at the Showmen's convention in line to check into the hotel and everyone was talking about how gruesome it was.
Eyerly went out of business very soon after that and left owing some of us some money.
anyone else remember that incident? I never rode a Monster after that.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, October 18, 2003 5:54:21 AM
The Eyerly Sidewinder is a modern version of the Roll-O-Plane, same action, just a slightly different look to it, and a different trailer mounting. Not a bad ride actually, I have a photo of a very nice one that Jules and Beck Combined Shows operated in 2002 here in Michigan HERE  . Interesting in that they also carted around a t/m Roll-O-Plane but never set it up. I believe a photo of it is also in that Jules and Beck album at the above link. Arnold Amusements used to operated a Sidewinder here in Michigan, and Miller Spectacular Shows operated a Sidewinder at the Ionia Fair here in Michigan this past July, I have photos but have not uploaded them to Webshots yet. [:)]
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, October 18, 2003 6:04:43 AM
The Sidewinder came out in 1978. Ohio Ron posted a pic here of one I had. Maybe a search would pull it up.
UserPostedImage
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
SaraAB
Saturday, October 18, 2003 5:59:00 PM
i believe amusements of buffalo used to have one, i know i remember seeing one around my area(and mistaking it as a "salt n pepa" shaker, i think my friend went on it and said it wasnt quite as good as a roll o plane), this was in the 80s/early 90s of course
orphaned
Monday, October 20, 2003 3:50:14 AM
Kissel Rides and Shows had one..but they sold it.

Scott Nolan Amusements of Zanesville Ohio still carries one.
orphaned
Wednesday, October 22, 2003 5:39:42 AM
Tre, are you sure the BULLET was a Sidewinder and not a ROLL O PLANE? I've seen many RollOPlanes themed as Bullets.
Skywheelrider
Thursday, October 23, 2003 3:41:01 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tre in GA

What is a Roll O Plane ?? This like looked like a sidewinder and the
cages would turn as it went up then turn again as you went down the other side so you were always right side up.
tre in ga

Tre, here are some photos of an Eyerly Roll-O-Plane, the ride the Eyerly Sidewinder was based on:

Poor Jack Amusements' Eyerly Roll-O-Plane vertical 

Poor Jack Amusements' Eyerly Roll-O-Plane horizontal 
Poor Jack Amusements' Eyerly Roll-O-Plane at night vertical 

Poor Jack Amusements' midway with Eyerly Roll-O-Plane at night 

I hope this helps you out! [:)]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
Skywheelrider
Thursday, October 23, 2003 10:47:55 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Tre in GA

Yes CHris that is it !!! But I have never seen one turn horizontal like that, maybe they cant do it here , I dunno I havent seen one since about 1982. I know once in fall of 88 at the columbia county fair , not sure of the show, they couldnt tumble the Skywheel, onle load the bottom wheel while the top one spun at the top, then bring it down to load it. I remember asking the ride op about it
and the he said the ride inspector said told them not to do it.
Chris , you are the master of ride knowledge man,,, You seriously
should write a book or something, you ever thought about it ??
tre in ga

Ah, thanks for the compliments, but there are many people (on this board too) who are FAR more knowledgeable than me, LOL and they would be much better candidates to write a book, although I would love to help out! Interesting story on that Sky Wheel, I have seen a Sky Wheel run like that myself, LONG LONG time ago. As for the Roll-O-Plane, it was designed to tilt up and run horizontal. I have seem the one with Poor Jack do it and the one at Knoebels Park in Pennsylvania do it. The Sidewinder is designed to do the same thing. I think one reason many are NOT run that way anymore has to do with wear and tear on the gears, at least that is what I was once told. I think it looks cool running vertical then tilting at an angle until it is horizontal, then tilting again until it is vertical. FYI, Poor Jack has their's themed as the "Hammer." [:)]