shiftgreen
Monday, October 13, 2003 6:48:07 AM
since I drive by the fair grounds everyday, im gonna take some digital pics of them seting up rides and the train unloading.. i want to get some video but I have a feeling the train will be coming in this evening, and if thats the case I wont have time to go home.. but I did see 3 rides going to the fair grounds.. the Hanglider,thunderbolt, and one other I couldnt make out.. so yea pretty kewl. Cant wait to see the train again.. I also heard from the News and Observer, that there will be 25 kiddies,25 major, and20 spectacular's.. but im not sure, 20 is a lot of spectacular's so im betting they probably consider rides like the hanglider a spectacular. Its less than what we had last year which was 83, this year its 70... so maybe the quality will make up for the quantity.
ridesicknsc
Monday, October 13, 2003 8:59:55 AM
Shiftgreen: Thanks for the update. I'm planning on being at the fair on Saturday, so any preliminary info is appreciated![:)]
shiftgreen
Monday, October 13, 2003 9:14:58 AM
I did a quick drive by for lunch and they have a lot more rides now..

1) Larsons fireball (i think its larsons)
2) Chance Giant wheel 😞
3) hanglider
4) thunderbolt
5) muzik express
6) Rocn Rapids ( it was already set up)
7) Eli 16 wheel
and some others racked, but I couldnt tell what they were.
some kiddie rides were set up but I didnt see which ones

the train hasnt come in yet, so most of the rides I guess are from the other midway. I hope I have a chance to get the video cam.
ridesicknsc
Monday, October 13, 2003 10:50:25 AM
Thanks, Shiftgreen!

The last time I was there (about 10 years ago), Pugh Shows had a Chance Giant Wheel and Strates had the larger Giant Wheel. Maybe that's the arrangement for this year, too--a smaller Chance Wheel and Strates' larger one. You think?
JustinJames
Monday, October 13, 2003 11:13:15 AM
Hey why not? MN State Fair had a Century Wheel and Giant Wheel.
shiftgreen
Monday, October 13, 2003 11:25:42 AM
man, I hope we get the larger one from strates, but i heard we arent.. I will find out when the train comes in, it was at the Dixie Classic though. I remember riding the chance giant wheel last year, from AoA, and its noticibly different from the Strates... I guess an extra 40 or however many feet in circumfrance makes a big difference.
the_rock401
Monday, October 13, 2003 1:27:46 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustinJames

Hey why not? MN State Fair had a Century Wheel and Giant Wheel.

There was one significant difference. The Giant Wheel was on the main midway, and the Century Wheel was on the Kidway, which wasn't even in sight of the main midway.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, and sometimes you have to take a rain check.

DON'T FEED THE TROLL
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, October 13, 2003 2:07:17 PM
Regrading two big wheels on the same midway. Strates did that at Hamburg & Syracuse,NY in 1992. The show had their Dutch Wheel and they also booked in Larry Carr's brand new Chance Wheel. At Hamburg they were about 100 yards apart while at Syracuse they were on opposite ends of the fairgrounds. From what I heard the Dutch Wheel did much better at both spots.
gruelurks
Monday, October 13, 2003 2:26:10 PM
Reithoffer also had their Dutch Wheel and Giant Wheel setup at Brockton, MA. when I was there in 1991. (Dang, has it been that long since I started on the road?)
Fetch
Monday, October 13, 2003 2:49:11 PM
shiftgreen....I believe Mid America is sending some rides down that way. They just finished here in Evansville (You may or may not have seen some of my pics). The wheel may not be the big one that you want....but the guys who run that wheel with their knowledge and courtesy should make up for that theyr were abosolutly great to talk to. Dave Tony and the whole bunch are great. Take some digital pics of those guys for me if you could and tell them I said "Hello"

Fetch
shiftgreen
Monday, October 13, 2003 2:56:05 PM
I went by after work, and saw a lot of rides filling the midway, so I thought the train had to have come, but to my suprise it wasnt here yet..I saw the freakout, and what looked like the fireball..whihc was werid b/c I thought that was strates... I saw a lot of other rides but I didnt take the time to see what they were, im waiting till the train comes before I walk around and stuff... but it was packed, had to have been more than the 20 they said from mid america.. so strates must not be bringing that many rides, or some are strates.
Blake Huston
Monday, October 13, 2003 3:44:35 PM
At the South Carolina State fair last year, Conklin had their Dutch Wheel and CVS's had their chance wheel there also. The link below is a picture of CVS's Chance wheel from atop the Dutch wheel.

http://community.webshot.../51837010/51839565KiXOsK 
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, October 13, 2003 3:51:28 PM
Strates KMG Fireball usually travels over the road.
Winston-Salem just closed Sunday so the train may not be in Raleigh before Tuesday AM.
For a quick, relatively short jump a lot may travel over the road. that's what they do in NY from Hamburg to Syracuse (167 miles). They have a trucking company haul several loads in addition to what they take with the show tractors. When the train was loaded at Hamburg this year there were at least 12 extra fifth wheels on it, mostly from loads that went over the road to Syracuse.
W-S to raleigh is about 110 miles, isn't it?
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, October 13, 2003 3:54:36 PM
about 2 hours travel time if the traffic is not bad. that is one of the busiest sections of roads in the state. they can truck it over faster than loading the train and moving i would think. all interstate.
Midway Provydr
Monday, October 13, 2003 5:04:06 PM
Whatz up Guys, I just got back from Winston salem today, i was taking pics of the train being loaded, according to Strates head honchos, the entire train is going to Raleigh, so basically whatever is loaded on the train will surely be in Raleigh, when i left the loading yard around 5:30 this evening, they were preparing to load the Rainbow center load, the boat trailer of the Pirate, and the base of the Giant Wheel, the spoke trailer and gondola trailers were already loaded, so shiftgreen looks like you gonna get your wish with the Giant Wheel [:D]I did see the KMG Fireball head out on the road so its probably in Raleigh by now since that was around 4:30 or 5:00pm. Ill see ya at the fair!!!!