Pizzagod
  •  Pizzagod
  • 63.84% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:32:17 PM
I just finished a spot and there were no county or state cops there, instead the board opted for a private concern.

You get what you pay for. We had a few problem children (literally) and instead of invoking the age old practice of reminding them that the fair is on private property and inviting them to leave, they just stood around and talked and talked to them. When you have a disruptive element, you need to handle it before it spoils it for everybody.

The week before I was informed that there were an abundance of police, and if I needed them all I had to do was go to the Church Food Booth where they were warming stools and let them know there was a problem. Seriously.

So I know I qualify as a relic of a time when just a glare from a cop was enough to make a punk wet his pants, but is everybody so afraid of being sued that they will let these ill mannered miscreants ruin things for everybody else?

Am I the only one experiencing this?
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Ryan Russell
Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:32:03 PM
I have several friends who work either state of federal law enforcement and they all say the same thing when it comes to what you said about being sued. YES...

The next time you see an unruly adult or child and the security confronts them watch and see what about 3/4 of the crowd gathered around does. I guarantee you will see nothing but cell phone cameras recording the whole event. Even if the person becomes combative and needs to be restrained some lawyer will get a hold of the video and scream excessive force.

ratwheel
Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:55:00 PM
Quote:

quote:

The next time you see an unruly adult or child and the security confronts them watch and see what about 3/4 of the crowd gathered around does. I guarantee you will see nothing but cell phone cameras recording the whole event. Even if the person becomes combative and needs to be restrained some lawyer will get a hold of the video and scream excessive force.

Makes me wish I could remember where I read the article about how it was illegal to film the cops unless they give permission first. (which in my opinion they already gave permission because most of them have their patrol car camera's running, so they already know they are being filmed)
Pizzagod
  •  Pizzagod
  • 63.84% (Friendly)
  • Ride Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, August 15, 2010 7:19:32 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan Russell

I hadn't even thought about that, but you're right-and not ONLY are they filming, I have seen it where the crowd tries to goad the cops or the punk into a physical altercation. Great point, thanks for bringing it up.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Zocalo
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:16:16 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ratwheel2

Makes me wish I could remember where I read the article about how it was illegal to film the cops unless they give permission first. (which in my opinion they already gave permission because most of them have their patrol car camera's running, so they already know they are being filmed)

It USED to be "illegal" to audio tape cops in certain states, but a newly released opinion by the Attorney General of the State of Maryland has prompted a review of such restrictive policies in that state (http://www.oag.state.md.us/Topics/WIRETAP_ACT_ROSENBERG.pdf).

The whole public vs. private issue was thoroughly examined and they've concluded that some local AG's use of "wiretap" laws to discourage public audio and video taping of public employee's conduct on the job was simply wrong. Not that it'll stop arrogant cops and AG's from trying to intimidate citizens, of course.

But that's a whole 'nother topic.
bdgaf
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:52:09 PM
it seems to me the police or to afraid or maybe it just to hard to keepe crimanal element in check so they harras the lowbiding citizens for dum * licke seatbelts or smoking in apublic place or other miner infactions this way they do not have to work to hard
this what we do.
Zocalo
Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:12:00 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by bdgaf

it seems to me the police or to afraid or maybe it just to hard to keepe crimanal element in check so they harras the lowbiding citizens for dum * licke seatbelts or smoking in apublic place or other miner infactions this way they do not have to work to hard

Most cops are reasonable people, but there are always, testosterone filled, highly militarized *s who do the most damage to their departments. Unfortunately, us plain ol' citizens can't readily tell one from another.

I try to maintain as much distance as I can between myself and the "justice system" as possible. Every local, county, state and federal yayhoo is just itchin' to exercise his power and control, and there are much easier/slower/dumber targets than me.