rainman571
Monday, October 20, 2003 9:04:09 AM
Hey all,

I went to the GA/SC State Fair in Augusta, GA on Sunday. It seemed like Dreamland Amusements provided the bulk of equipment with Jules and Beck filling in a few. I was in Augusta for other reasons so I couldn't linger too long to find out what belonged to each show.

I liked Dreamland. It was the first time I saw them and they looked pretty sharp. However, I think Augusta got shortchanged by Strates. You would think that they would have brought in at least one super-spectacular. I'm sure they were expecting something bigger than what Drew has been giving them...and then ended up with less. I'm not bashing Dreamland...they just don't have any super-specs. Of course Augusta could have just changed shows cuz Strates gave them more money.

I did see one thing that I will be modeling in the future. The local dairy farmers were sponsoring a live cow milking exhibit. It is based in a 5th wheel livestock trailer with an opening side. The trailer was painted with black and white "cow spots" and featured a large "Got Milk?" logo on the side. It was as good as a side show :)

Raymond

http://community.webshots.com/user/rainman531 

orphaned
Monday, October 20, 2003 9:49:24 AM
I'd bet a bigger guarantee was part of it...but I also think that the fair probably wanted a "bigger show" and more spectaculars and etc. I think this is a perfect example for fairs that have a perfectly good show but want MORE...and then in the end, probably wish they'd stayed where they are.

Wonder if Drew would take it back if they called?
Kamikaze
Monday, October 20, 2003 9:52:13 AM
orphaned
Monday, October 20, 2003 10:04:22 AM
I do not like the paint job on the Flying Bobs...it's not real impressive to me...but hey..maybe the pic doesn't do it justice.
Skywheelrider
Monday, October 20, 2003 10:54:35 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bryan

I do not like the paint job on the Flying Bobs...it's not real impressive to me...but hey..maybe the pic doesn't do it justice.

Great photos! [:)]

That is Jules and Beck's Music Fest (Flying Bobs). It was originally with Arbroo Shows. They have cleaned it up A LOT since I first saw it back at the end of May. According to the foreman, they are going to completely repaint the ride, re-light it, and put new canvas on it. The centre scenery is just fitted canvas, not panels like most others. When I talked to the foreman at the Wayne County Fair (Belleville, Michigan) in August, they had put a relatively new sound system on it and it sounded great, and almost all the lights were burning (they did not have lights around the back, according to the foreman, Wayne (cannot think of his last name off the top of my head), they did it on purpose because of the way it is set up at most spots you cannot see the back, but when they relight it they WILL do the back lights as well. SO, the photos do it justice, IMHO, and next year it should look totally different. [:)]

As for some of the other rides, looks like Jules and Beck's Zipper and Tilt-A-Whirl and Strates Shows' g/m Scrambler. [:)]

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
orphaned
Monday, October 20, 2003 11:09:27 AM
After I visited your webshots I realized this Chris. Now that I've moved across campus I'm on the network and can download pics in a SNAP. So I've had a chance to look at everyone's photos.

TomSmith
Monday, October 20, 2003 12:44:34 PM
I am from Evans, Which is near Augusta so I know a little about that fair.

Drew gave the fair up on purpose because of the contract and the decline in attendance not to mention the area. The contract is simple: The Exchange club takes 150K off the top of the gross then whatever is left over is split 50/50 between the ride owner and the Exchange Club. Is that fair?

Drew made the right decision by going to the Columbia COunty fair which is in the good section of town. I have seen Strates in ALbany GA and I have seen Drew here for many years and I have to say that Drew is the nicest show by far. Friends of mine who have been to the GA SC fair say that the shows(dreamland and jules) down there now have nothing compared to what was there in the past. Drew would not take that fair back and I know that because my cousin knows them.
Tornado
Monday, October 20, 2003 3:48:27 PM
Who's Jumpin Jumbos and Tip Top is there?? They both were on the Pier this past summer in Sea Side Heights New Jersey... I remember seeing them there. As a matter of fact I believe at one time that Tip Top was Conklin Shows! Look at and read the pannels along the bottom. They all are dates that Conklin plays... (Spring Mass, CNE Toronto, Mobile, etc.)
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, October 20, 2003 5:41:41 PM
Is that Strates Cliffhanger at Augusta? Someone said that might have sent it and one other ride (Scrambler?) down there. From ainman's picture it looks like Strates Scrambler. They did not put it up in Hamburg or Syracuse in NY this year.
Hoffa
  •  Hoffa
  • 51.98% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Monday, October 20, 2003 6:48:56 PM
I heard their Mulligan wheel looked nice. Are there any other pics of the new 1 trailer model?
A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

BSA Mike
Tuesday, October 21, 2003 6:52:31 AM
lol the mulligan wheel looks ok, but the color scheme is way off for that ride, it shouldnt be red, white and blue, those colors just dont go on some rides. to me it looks like an expo wheel raped a century wheel and out popped the mulligan wheel lol
crazy dance
Tuesday, October 21, 2003 7:19:10 AM
lol, I thought it was a century wheel with expo wheel seats?? thanks mike i did not know it was the new 1 trailer mulligan wheel.
iuse2no
Wednesday, October 22, 2003 2:15:30 PM
If you saw the tip top in Seaside, that would have to be Robbie Tucker's. It would have been on Funtown Pier this past year.
JimmyD
  •  JimmyD
  • 52.88% (Neutral)
  • Ride Supervisor
Wednesday, October 22, 2003 5:21:16 PM
That Flying Bobs, was originally Bob Childress's and was sold to Stine Amusements when it was formed in '94. It stayed with them untill '98 when they bought a Thunderbolt. It was sold to Mike Neighbors and later to Randy Roach, and eventually to Jules and Beck.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.