Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman Topic Starter
Monday, January 5, 2009 7:10:28 AM
I was going to put this in the history section but if the mods feal it should be there, they can move it.

I am looking for any history on Watkins Swinger. Wikipedia has an article that in my opinion is very poor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinger_%28ride%29 

I thought it would be interesting to discuss rides and find out more about the history and technical information. Some specific questions I have, what years were they made, approximatly how many were made, are there any differences in the original rides before any modifications, was there a standard color(s) that the original ride came in, and anything else that could be of interest to people here.

It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
squirrel
Monday, January 5, 2009 7:49:03 AM
For the Watkins rides, you ask the questions, I can get the answers (almost 100%) -- I am in contact with one of the last remaining employees of the Grover Watkins Co. There are a couple other members here that know and deal with him as well.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, January 5, 2009 7:52:21 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by secret.squirrel

For the Watkins rides, you ask the questions, I can get the answers (almost 100%) -- I am in contact with one of the last remaining employees of the Grover Watkins Co. There are a couple other members here that know and deal with him as well.

Ask him about the history of Grover Watkins the man, his company and how he come to make rides.

Nobody ever seems to know anything about them.
BigGuyNC1
Monday, January 5, 2009 8:00:08 AM
If it's any help I believe Watkins was bought out by the Hi-Lite Co. of Greer,SC.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality-Ayn Rand
BSA Mike
Monday, January 5, 2009 8:21:10 AM
Quote:

quote:

Good Ole Shelton lol

im glad we haven't had to call him in 2 years
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
Monday, January 5, 2009 9:03:34 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Quote:

quote:

Ask him about the history of Grover Watkins the man, his company and how he come to make rides.

Nobody ever seems to know anything about them.

I would love to hear the story.
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, January 5, 2009 9:08:05 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by BigGuyNC1

If it's any help I believe Watkins was bought out by the Hi-Lite Co. of Greer,SC.

I thought it was Venture....Did they buy Watkins too?
spudwrench
Monday, January 5, 2009 9:13:52 AM
The idea for the Swinger came about from the Mind of Bob Yaroudy in Evansville IN. I moved the first Swinger built for a yeat inorder to work out the bugs.
Greg
  •  Greg
  • 55.58% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, January 5, 2009 9:18:06 AM
No, they didn't buy Watkins. They bought Venture. Shelton Tapscott is the sole supplier for all Watkins parts (unless you make them yourself) There were 42 Swingers built by Watkins Rides. Shelton told me one time that Grover Watkins burned all the blueprints for his equipment before he died.
My albums are all on Facebook!
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, January 5, 2009 9:34:07 AM
would really like to here more on this subject..
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
Benjibear
  •  Benjibear
  • 80.26% (Honored)
Monday, January 5, 2009 10:00:26 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Greg

No, they didn't buy Watkins. They bought Venture. Shelton Tapscott is the sole supplier for all Watkins parts (unless you make them yourself) There were 42 Swingers built by Watkins Rides. Shelton told me one time that Grover Watkins burned all the blueprints for his equipment before he died.

Wow, I thought there were more made then that. It seams like every other show has one.
It is ashame that the blueprints were burned. I am sure even if somebody had them, they would think it was trash.
SideWinder
Monday, January 5, 2009 10:05:50 AM
The Watkins Swinger was an awesome swinger during it's time, unfortunatly you don't see to many of them on the road any more, which is sad. It served it's purpose for what it was built for. Only 42 built, huh who knew.

On a small show it would still make money today but for the bigger shows who have the Wave swinger or the YoYo bet it wouldn't do as good....

2ndgencarnie
Monday, January 5, 2009 10:22:02 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by SideWinder

On a small show it would still make money today but for the bigger shows who have the Wave swinger or the YoYo bet it wouldn't do as good....

Agreed, the piece can still win it's fair share in the right line-up, but no doubt that it can't compete with a Wave Swinger or Yo-Yo.

I wonder how it would stack up next to a Zumer????
vcanfield
Monday, January 5, 2009 10:29:12 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

I was going to put this in the history section but if the mods feal it should be there, they can move it.

I am looking for any history on Watkins Swinger. Wikipedia has an article that in my opinion is very poor:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swinger_ (ride)

My browser truncated the wikipedia link--it went to an entry that belongs in the off-topic section.
Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Monday, January 5, 2009 11:43:06 AM
The Zumur would blow it away. High speed.
UserPostedImage