IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Sunday, August 17, 2008 7:14:43 AM
The 2008 edition closes tonight. It has been reported that the event looks to be heading toward record attendance in excess of 900,000. The weather was absolutely perfect for the entire run. I'm not sure a drop of rain even hit the fairgrounds this year, and the temps were never out of the lower 80s with low humidity. The best run of weather I can ever recall for the first half of August.

So we know people were there...but were they spending? I'm curious to hear from those who were working this Fair.

I was there four different days (all weekdays), here are my impressions...I think the Fair Board is continuing to improve the look of the Fairgrounds. Most buildings, over the last several years, have been gone over and been given makeovers of varying degrees. A major addition this year, was a hand-built replica of the Mansfield (Parke County, Indiana)Covered Bridge. If you enter the fairgrounds from the west, you will drive beneath on your way through the tunnel to the infield. While only about half as long as the original, they did a great job and is great addition to the look of the fairgrounds.

I actually spent very little time walking the Midway. It appeared that most of the equipment was from Mid-America Shows, there were a few pieces from Farrow. All the stuff looked great, but just like every Midway I visit these days, it just seems like it keeps getting less and less every year. And even if I could be percieving it wrong, I know it isn't as big as it was five and ten years ago. Hell, they didn't even have a full-sized version of a Himalaya-type ride this year, they only had a Wisdom one. But anyway, it is still the highlight of my carnival watching season which slows dramatically after the Fair.

I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Matt C.
Sunday, August 17, 2008 12:55:58 PM
I think what we will be seeing more and more of is carnivals trying to maximize their profits by bringing in less rides/trailer loads in order to save on transportation and fuel expenses. Even if the gross is down a little, their profits may be up. The main question is how many MORE rides do you need to gross more? By bringing in 5 extra rides, will the public spend more to ride them verses having 5 less?

Thanks for the trip report. I've always enjoyed my trips to the ISF, although I have not been there since NAME came about.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
Jagger
  •  Jagger
  • 58.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, August 17, 2008 1:46:13 PM
kris0106
  •  kris0106
  • 53.7% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:26:01 PM
Tornado
Monday, August 18, 2008 5:01:20 AM
Mid Americas Bertazzons Misik Express or Farrow old Reverchon Bee Bop Express?
Completly distroyed?
Ted
  •  Ted
  • 62.08% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Monday, August 18, 2008 7:48:46 PM
Correct on the wisdown himalaya. They make a lot of money for how portable they are. It is definately more economical to move a piece such as that. People will definately bash me for this statement but the general public, not "fans" or folks on here, can never tell the difference from one to the other. They gross the same amounts at a spot such as this. Now take the Florida state fair where the normal customer can actually see a mack, reverchon, wisdom, and majectic himalaya at different ends of the midway, sure they can tell the difference. But back to Indiana the wisdom blizzard is doing just as well as the multi trailer version was doing and is only a fraction when it comes to maintaince, mainpower, and loads to move.

Dont know where the rumor is coming that the reverchon caught fire or anything? I can definately assure everyone as a "with it" source that is definately not the case at all, so crush that statement. It is no longer with the show and thats that.
DutchWheel9
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:30:20 AM
I understand what you are saying Ted, but for people like Indiana Ted and myself the loss of the multi-trailer rides and the loss of a lot of rides from an earlier time has SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASED the overall quality of the midway at many of the big state fair and expositions in this country. And this fact is deeply disappointing and sad for people like he and I.

Indaina Ted and I understand the point that you are making but I hope you understand the point that we are making as well.

I say this only to clarify things.

Thanks.

Bob
Himalaya Man
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 4:31:48 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by kris0106

the big himalay caught on fire

Oh No!!!! [:(] What Carnival was this???
IndianaTED
  •  IndianaTED
  • 64.78% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:30:41 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Eaton

I understand what you are saying Ted, but for people like Indiana Ted and myself the loss of the multi-trailer rides and the loss of a lot of rides from an earlier time has SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASED the overall quality of the midway at many of the big state fair and expositions in this country. And this fact is deeply disappointing and sad for people like he and I.

Indaina Ted and I understand the point that you are making but I hope you understand the point that we are making as well.

I say this only to clarify things.

Thanks.

Bob

Thank you Bob, I couldn't have said it any better myself.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.