stickjoint
Thursday, May 22, 2008 1:51:47 AM
fried dough, would it be the same if you used frozen dough balls, o.k. as in would it effect the taste,
or is fresh the only way to go ?

Benjibear
Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:06:55 AM
I thought most people use frozen bread dough.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Pizzagod
Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:52:23 AM
Two schools of thought here, and let me offer my never to be humble opinion.

At a still date or so-so spot, dough balls or bread dough are fine. People don't usually care, all they want is the butter and cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar anyway. When I've sold Funnel Cakes I could swear I could do as well with a paper plate loaded up with powdered sugar.

When you hit the big time you have a couple of problems with the dough balls. First off if you're competing with a real operator, people know the diff, just like with hand dipped made from scratch corn dogs and frozen, just like with made from scratch batter and Dipsy Dog. Secondly, you get hit, and you don't have enough dough thawed, you're screwed. Finally, there is the storage issue, this just takes up space like crazy, first to store frozen, secondly to stage for cooking.

Making dough is no big deal, and the beauty of ears (to me) is that you make the dough and thirty seconds later you can pull it an cook with it. Most of the people I know use 20 quart mixers, but I think a good 12 or 10 (if you can find it) is sufficient. Elephant Ear dough is soft, not like pizza dough, so it's a lot easier on your machine.

Simple answer, the dough balls are okay but if you plan on doing a couple grand a day or better I don't think they will be ideal for you.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.