wstcstfun
  •  wstcstfun
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help Topic Starter
Saturday, April 5, 2008 7:56:46 AM
In a companion to the other thread. Which spots do you think are the hidden gems. No hype, no BS, but a killer gross. ???? To be honest these are sometimes not fairs but other themed festivals, balloon, church, music, car shows etc...
withit4it
Saturday, April 5, 2008 9:19:37 AM
That's why they are "hidden" gems. If we told everyone how good they were everyone would start firing at them and concessionaires would start playing them. Then all you wind up with is the domino effect- shows giving too much PC for the spot--too many joints booked in-- and high rent for the concessionaires. Your gem suddenly becomes a lump of coal.
skywheel88
Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:11:01 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by withit4it

That's why they are "hidden" gems. If we told everyone how good they were everyone would start firing at them and concessionaires would start playing them. Then all you wind up with is the domino effect- shows giving too much PC for the spot--too many joints booked in-- and high rent for the concessionaires. Your gem suddenly becomes a lump of coal.

*Replies like this make some of you look like ELITIST SNOBS.[:(!] I thought it was a good and interesting question, myself.
Kenny.

Skywheelrider
Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:32:52 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by skywheel88

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by withit4it

*Replies like this make some of you look like ELITIST SNOBS.[:(!] I thought it was a good and interesting question, myself.

I disagree. I think every show or concessionaire has a spot or two that is great for them that no one else really knows about. Why would you want to publicize that and everyone and their cousin decide "hey, it must be better than the blank I play that week, so I am going there this time" and suddenly there's too many concessions for the size of the spot, no one makes any money, folks get angry and grumble "I thought this was supposed to be a good spot" and no one is happy. And at the same time it's ruined for the guy(s) that has/have been there all along. The fair/festival likes it because more concessionaires means more money for them in rent; another show takes a shot at it and gives a ridiculous percentage, which in turn causes them to charge higher rent to the folks that book with them, yep, the domino effect, and a good spot gets ruined or at best turns into just another spot on the route.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
britt
  •  britt
  • 97.96% (Exalted)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, April 5, 2008 10:49:00 AM
as in any business it is not necesssary to disclose who your best customers are. competitors with like products will be making their sales pitch to try and lure those customers away. in the carnival business it is the same except someone offers a higher pc as their current spot is not as good and can give up some more and still make more than where they were. in a lot of instances all the committees see is more money coming in without regards to the future. there are some good towns for carnivals and some not when playing festivals and still dates.
Hambone
  •  Hambone
  • 55.16% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, April 5, 2008 11:07:24 AM
Well said Chris.

Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, April 5, 2008 11:15:59 AM
the ol'e say'n---- everyone has secrets, thats why there secrets...
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
wstcstfun
  •  wstcstfun
  • 50.02% (Neutral)
  • Green Help Topic Starter
Saturday, April 5, 2008 11:23:32 AM
Well to be honest I was interested in the "how" everyone responded as much as the "what". I know its a contoversial question and many think they should never give up info on a hot spot. But think about it, that calls for a conspiracy because I don't know too many spots with one vendor, if others play it, then others know about it. I do think though many try to keep there hidden gems hidden, especially the independent food operators. Games and rides are a little different but it still happens with them too.
Skywheelrider
Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:15:16 PM
Another thought, how many shows (and independents) have helped to build up a spot over the years from basically nothing to a great fair/festival that no one really knows about outside of the area it's in, and then someone says to others what a great spot it is now and gives some details, and then what I said above happens? How would you feel if it were your show that helped build up a spot only to see someone else come in and woo the committee with ridiculous numbers and puff them up and rip it out of your hands, kind of a "thanks but we want to take the festival/fair in a different direction...." from the committee after all the work you put into it....or someone come in with a flashier trailer than yours and the committee gets all googly-eyed and says "you can come back, but we're giving that guy your (great) location, we'll put you somewhere else on the lot"....just because some folks decided to give out info they didn't need too.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
carnivalgirl
Saturday, April 5, 2008 12:22:18 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

Another thought, how many shows (and independents) have helped to build up a spot over the years from basically nothing to a great fair/festival that no one really knows about outside of the area it's in, and then someone says to others what a great spot it is now and gives some details, and then what I said above happens? How would you feel if it were your show that helped build up a spot only to see someone else come in and woo the committee with ridiculous numbers and puff them up and rip it out of your hands, kind of a "thanks but we want to take the festival/fair in a different direction...." from the committee after all the work you put into it....or someone come in with a flashier trailer than yours and the committee gets all googly-eyed and says "you can come back, but we're giving that guy your (great) location, we'll put you somewhere else on the lot"....just because some folks decided to give out info they didn't need too.

well said
skywheel88
Saturday, April 5, 2008 2:33:46 PM
I stand corrected...[B)]
Kenny.

flamo
  •  flamo
  • 87.94% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:20:37 PM
I can tell you this, back in the day Cathoic churches around Cleveland were all big winners. Most you couldn't get 8 pcs on the parkng lot. Now if you have food race tracks but very long hours
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
crny1234
  •  crny1234
  • 50.96% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Saturday, April 5, 2008 3:24:48 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by carnivalgirl

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Skywheelrider

well said

' I CONCURE '
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
with-it
  •  with-it
  • 59.3% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, April 5, 2008 5:23:06 PM
Nothing like a Good Sneak Spot....
magfly
Saturday, April 5, 2008 8:56:03 PM
the spot was a blank thats my story and Im sticking to it lol ,might try again next year just in case it gets better lmao [:D]
when you cant breathe nothing else matters/please sign you organ donor cards today!! you may save life ; it might even be MINE you are saving/check out www.bluebracelet.info