Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, March 27, 2024 7:45:23 PM
Strates Dutch wheel was delivered in Hamburg, NY in 1986. Three loads arrived in mid July but the tubs were late. The ride was partially set up on the back lot at Hamburg but did not operate. So the first spot it played was Syracuse in 1986. It played Hamburg in 1987 for the first time.
The double deck MGR also first appeared in 1986.
JustinJames
Wednesday, March 27, 2024 9:47:34 PM
Another interesting fact on that YoYo was that it had round tubular sweeps instead of squared tubing.
ridejocky
Thursday, March 28, 2024 7:22:27 AM
Originally Posted by: JustinJames 

Another interesting fact on that YoYo was that it had round tubular sweeps instead of squared tubing.



Was that the only one? I think it was the first one I saw, and the square tube sweeps always looked odd to me.
Ride the Zipper?
ridejocky
Thursday, March 28, 2024 7:54:19 AM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Strates Dutch wheel was delivered in Hamburg, NY in 1986. Three loads arrived in mid July but the tubs were late. The ride was partially set up on the back lot at Hamburg but did not operate. So the first spot it played was Syracuse in 1986. It played Hamburg in 1987 for the first time.
The double deck MGR also first appeared in 1986.



I don't remember the tubs being late, but I do remember they came in pieces, and we had to trim them up and assemble them on site, which was a big PITA. The tubs also came with railings the NY inspectors beefed about, so Ed Moss found a shop to fabricate more substantial railings. while took a while.

Five or six guys came over from Houser to get it finished up and show us how to up and down it. That thing was a piece of crap from the get. We probably burned though five sets of tires getting it going.

Apparently Strates ordered the wheel in dollars, and right after he confirmed the order, the dollar took a big dump against the Dutch Guilder, so Houser lost his shirt on the deal.

Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, March 28, 2024 7:38:59 PM
Megerle ordered a Houser wheel when Strates did. Did Houser go out of business before building that one? I never heard of Megerle getting it.

The day Strates opened in Hamburg in 1986 Ben Braunstein was interviewed on the radio talking about the new wheel. He explained the tubs were coming and hoped they get there before the fair ended. He made a big point out of describing the wheel as 35 meters high. "It's European so it's measured in meters."
ridejocky
Thursday, March 28, 2024 8:49:02 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Megerle ordered a Houser wheel when Strates did. Did Houser go out of business before building that one? I never heard of Megerle getting it.

The day Strates opened in Hamburg in 1986 Ben Braunstein was interviewed on the radio talking about the new wheel. He explained the tubs were coming and hoped they get there before the fair ended. He made a big point out of describing the wheel as 35 meters high. "It's European so it's measured in meters."



Good old Brown-stain....

No idea about Megerle, but looking at the rates, it looks like the Guilder went from, almost 4 to 1 in March of '85 to only about 2.5 to one in March of '86.


  Exchange.pdf (105kb) downloaded 8 time(s).
Ride the Zipper?
Thunderbolt2
Monday, April 1, 2024 11:43:08 AM
Does anyone know who the Round Up and Tip Top went too? Strates Round Up was top notch, cushions were always comfortable.

Another question, does anyone know why the Sky Ride was dropped, was it getting to old, too hard to find parts, etc. I know it was three loads, but seemed like a great family ride that was unusual.
ridejocky
Monday, April 1, 2024 8:20:36 PM
Originally Posted by: Thunderbolt2 

Does anyone know who the Round Up and Tip Top went too? Strates Round Up was top notch, cushions were always comfortable.

Another question, does anyone know why the Sky Ride was dropped, was it getting to old, too hard to find parts, etc. I know it was three loads, but seemed like a great family ride that was unusual.



And it ginned money...
Ride the Zipper?
JimW
  •  JimW
  • 51.62% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler
Tuesday, April 2, 2024 6:12:34 AM
Originally Posted by: Thunderbolt2 



Another question, does anyone know why the Sky Ride was dropped, was it getting to old, too hard to find parts, etc. I know it was three loads, but seemed like a great family ride that was unusual.



I don't know if this had anything to do with it but didn't they have to have a Pettibone crane to set it up?
ridejocky
Tuesday, April 2, 2024 6:31:31 AM
Originally Posted by: JimW 

I don't know if this had anything to do with it but didn't they have to have a Pettibone crane to set it up?



It did use the small Pettibone (that was a nice unit), but with the wheel and the boat both having cranes, I think it could have shared.

I'm not sure how old it was, but it seemed like it was an old piece in '78. Bill P?

Driving the stakes was a man-killer....


Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.9% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, April 2, 2024 2:11:53 PM
Strates Sky Ride was new in 1965. It was completely refurbed in 1997. It was set up in Ionia Michigan in 2004? They found something wrong with it and it never operated again. Never heard what the specific problem was.

Don't know what happened to the 1975 Round up they had. I know that after they got the 1975 Round UP the older one [60's era] appeared on a Kennedy Amusements midway in central NY in 1976. Never saw it again. They also replaced a mid 60's Tip Top in 1975. at Hamburg. The old one was racked next to the burlesque show on opening day and the new one was on the midway a few days later. Never heard where the old, non folding model went. Also don't know what happened to the 75 model Tip Top.
Users browsing this topic
  • OceanSpiders 2.0