Rockowheel
  •  Rockowheel
  • 57.34% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:50:40 PM
Back in the very early days there was a ride that went by the name of "Waltzer" or "Boomerang" that could be found on both travelling midways and amusement parks. The makeup was essentially a circular flat ride of 4 tubs, that after hitting a goodly number of rpm's, the tubs would be released one by one into a small tunnel to return to the sweeps where they would be re-attached and the cycle would start again. I know that some years back a modern version appeared on a few of the major midways here in the US, still called "Boomerang".
Does anyone know whatever happened to it? I'm sure it was a one-of-a-kind ride and just couldn't make it these days with capacity issues....
Ridee-O
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:10:47 PM
[:)]The ride was built by U.S.Riding Devices out of Coney Island. Actually there were several built, the brochure list at least 11 units sold. A very popular and high capacity ride it was also a very heavy ride to move as far as the carnivals went and it became a high maintainence ride for the parks as they got older and wore out.Another vintage ride that is now just a memory.
Benjibear
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 4:22:18 PM
Ridee-O, you have alot of old brochures? That would be really interesting to see.
Does anyone have a picture of this ride? I can't say that I know what it looks like. About what era did these rides exist?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 5:53:36 PM
Wisdom built one for Jerry Callahan and he toured it back in the late 80's and early 90's.

After his death, not sure what happened to it.
Ridee-O
Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:12:45 PM
[8D]Yes I do have a good collection of brochures and fotos, but of course I would like more. someday I'll learn how to post stuff on here and show everybody some of them. I beleive the Boomerang was produced from about 1936 to 1948. 1948 was the time that ride companies started making more portable rides that traveled on less trailers thus making the Boomerang just about obsolete.
Rockowheel
  •  Rockowheel
  • 57.34% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:33:56 PM
I have a nice pic of the Boomerang that operated at Chicago's Riverview Park until 1968 as well as the new version taken at the Wis. State Fair in the '80s. I'll dig 'em up and post.....
Benjibear
Thursday, August 9, 2007 4:35:45 PM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ridee-O

[8D]Yes I do have a good collection of brochures and fotos, but of course I would like more. someday I'll learn how to post stuff on here and show everybody some of them. I beleive the Boomerang was produced from about 1936 to 1948. 1948 was the time that ride companies started making more portable rides that traveled on less trailers thus making the Boomerang just about obsolete.

I wish I lived closer to you. If you are ever down in southern PA, bring some with you. I would love to see some. Also, for you or anybody else, I would volunteer to help scan stuff in. I often thought it would be great to have a site with alot of information on older (or any) rides. There are some good ones out there but I sometimes can't get enough of the nostolaga of stuff that happened in the ride industry before my time.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Drummer1973
Thursday, January 11, 2024 7:27:48 PM
Are you referring to the Waltzer - the circular whip with the undulating track? If so, can you tell me what about what years it was manufactured and around. I'd love to hear form you!! You can reach me at partyenergizerz@gmail.com. Thank you!!