Flying Coaster
Saturday, June 21, 2008 8:38:44 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

I only recall seeing one portable Monster and that was run by Staph & Steck. Each year they added embellishments; going from a full perimeter painted wood platform to a sharp grand entrance.

They were true showman.

Yep, I remember the painted deck, green & yeller I think, very sharp looking presentation.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
ringmaster
Saturday, June 21, 2008 9:15:53 AM
The first two Monsters had eight arms. They hadto be rebuilt with six arms after developing cracks.
There was also a short arm octopus, just what it sounds like. Becky Swartzcroft had one down in La. She would get a wrecker from a gad station to load and unload the center.
PBJ Happy Days has a 16 tub puss, likely ex- Mayers

Rockowheel
Saturday, June 21, 2008 1:01:49 PM
Speaking of PBJ Happy Days, are they still carrying their Meteor? (hopefully)
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:22:07 PM
Conklin had a Monster at the CNE in the 70's. It may have been booked into Crystal Beach park back then too. Conklin booked pieces in there sometimes back then and pulled them out for the CNE in August.
Strates had their Monster out from 1984- 1988. It was always on the inside end of the midway in Hamburg.
Gooding Amusement had one at the Ohio State Fair in 1974 too.

I have a picture of the Conklin one racked in Corfu, NY a few years back. I think it was on 3 pup trailers if I recall correctly. If I find the pics I'll put them in Webshots.

Pinetar
  •  Pinetar
  • 87.34% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, June 21, 2008 7:48:35 PM
I thought the Spelunker was built and operated by Morgan. Eventually owned by CVS. Perhaps it is a mystery load in the bowels of CVS's WQ.
UserPostedImage
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, June 22, 2008 4:18:09 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Rockowheel

Speaking of PBJ Happy Days, are they still carrying their Meteor? (hopefully)

I'm not sure if they still use it, but I"m fairly sure they still have it. They've bought so many larger rides and updated their line up... I"ll see them at their largest county fair in about 8 weeks and if I don't see it I"ll ask about it.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, June 22, 2008 4:19:37 AM
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bill P

Conklin had a Monster at the CNE in the 70's. It may have been booked into Crystal Beach park back then too. Conklin booked pieces in there sometimes back then and pulled them out for the CNE in August.
Strates had their Monster out from 1984- 1988. It was always on the inside end of the midway in Hamburg.
Gooding Amusement had one at the Ohio State Fair in 1974 too.

I have a picture of the Conklin one racked in Corfu, NY a few years back. I think it was on 3 pup trailers if I recall correctly. If I find the pics I'll put them in Webshots.

Conklin left their Monster ( two loads) here in Little Rock along with some other rides and listed them for sale, but I don't think the Monster sold.
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, June 22, 2008 4:25:26 AM
Didn't Rod Link have a Monster in the early 80's?
Saturday, April 22, 2023 1:39:03 PM
I think the Octopus must have come out in the 1950s because the last scene in "Grease" which took place in the 1950s had an Octopus ride at their Senior carnival or celebration 😊😊
ridejocky
Saturday, April 22, 2023 10:05:39 PM
Originally Posted by: Drummer1973 

I think the Octopus must have come out in the 1950s because the last scene in "Grease" which took place in the 1950s had an Octopus ride at their Senior carnival or celebration 😊😊

The Octopus in the movie "Grease" belonged to Allen Alevy owner of "Atlas Greater Shows".

The ride was on the second unit. I'm not sure who was moving the puss at the time, but Joe Cope was the ride Superintendent.

Ride the Zipper?
indianacarnie
Sunday, May 14, 2023 10:08:25 AM
Murphy Brothers had a Monster traveling with them in 80. Beautiful ride! The deck was wooden and varnished not painted. Was just thinking of this ride. Its Kismet I suppose as asking about Murphys was why I logged in today lol.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Sunday, May 14, 2023 7:46:47 PM
Someone wondered about how long the Octopus has been around. A 1979 Eyerly spec sheet says the Octopus had a 40+ year history so that would mean it was first produced in the late 1930's !
wvscott
Monday, May 22, 2023 9:01:21 AM
is anybody out there still moving a puss, either single or double tubs in 2023 ?
ridejocky
Monday, May 22, 2023 8:26:02 PM
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

is anybody out there still moving a puss, either single or double tubs in 2023 ?

There has to be.
Ride the Zipper?
zoo crew
Wednesday, May 31, 2023 11:17:25 AM
Northeast Midways in Connecticut had one out last year. Will see there show in a couple weeks.