Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, December 20, 2022 8:49:19 PM
My county fair is exploring the possibility of having a new midway provider in 2023. One of the interested companies is Amusements of America. I don't know very much about this company. Do they have nice rides, good help, positive environment? Any information would be helpful.
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, December 21, 2022 9:17:26 AM
Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
Wednesday, December 21, 2022 5:04:07 PM
So you are saying they do have a nice show; with nice rides, decent help, good reputation for putting on a good fair?
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Thursday, December 22, 2022 9:19:07 AM
Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
Friday, December 23, 2022 4:39:53 PM
Drummer1973
Tuesday, January 3, 2023 12:17:48 AM
Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
Monday, January 9, 2023 12:18:12 PM
40 Miler, are you saying they don't have nice rides, good help, etc.?
swooper
Monday, January 9, 2023 3:31:23 PM
Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
Monday, January 9, 2023 7:03:42 PM
From what I have seen and been told; I thought so too. But I believe Drummer1973 is saying not?
indianacarnie
Monday, January 16, 2023 12:18:41 PM
Big A is a fine show. Its ........... closer to an old time carnival than most huge traveling theme parks are these days. Uses mostly if not exclusively domestic help (at least the last few times I walked their midway.) Clean enough. Wide, varied selection of rides. Professionally run.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Carnivalbuff
  •  Carnivalbuff
  • 70.36% (Friendly)
Tuesday, January 17, 2023 5:10:49 PM
Thank you Indianacarnie for that excellent information.
Thunderbolt2
Wednesday, January 18, 2023 3:58:44 PM
Yes and No
Big A once had some really great spectaculars and majors and always had at least two full size music rides at good spots (usually a himi and bobs). Things have changed a lot the last few years. The main unit only has one music ride that I know of, and sorry I still don't consider that a full size music ride (wisdom one trailer).

The last time they brought the big giant wheel (4 trailer) to our fair here and the crazy mouse neither one of them was running during the fair (why set them up if you are not going to use your two best rides on the lot). Well, this year they didn't bring either and they don't bring as many rides as they once did.
ridejocky
Wednesday, January 18, 2023 8:19:34 PM
Been a while T-Bolt, Happy New Year

Big A used to move a lot of iron, and (I think) up to five units. End of an era...
Ride the Zipper?
JimW
  •  JimW
  • 51.56% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler
Thursday, January 19, 2023 8:22:17 AM
I think that accident at the Ohio State Fair a few years ago may have really hurt them. Seems like they have been going down hill ever since.
olediggerguy
Thursday, January 19, 2023 12:14:33 PM
I was around when they had 5 units. they had a lot of rides..some in very good shape...and maybe more than some not in great shape. I went down to Bloomsburg Pa in 2022 for a visit after not having been there for 40 years. I would give the same assessment as I did from way back when. They covered the lot with rides...with at least a couple not operating. This is a tough biz to keep up with when you lose a big spot or 2(or 3). the cost of maintenance has got to be through the roof these days. an earlier post referring to them as an old school operation was spot on IMO.