David
  •  David
  • 52.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, February 10, 2022 9:18:42 AM
as some of you may know the fair in Leon, Mexico has been on. A few years ago Funfair Worldwide visited the fair and filmed this cable car ride. Yes despite the problems the portable ones had in the States (and the Mexican ones also have the same issues) these are still popular in Mexico. It would be interesting if the idea could be improved for a modern American or European fair.

AN on ide video of Stratosphere Cable car in Mexico

OUT NOW! Amusement Rides European Special 3: Oberhausen-Sterkrade (Germany) DVD
Trailer and information can be found on the website
http://www.amusementridesdvd.co.uk 
ridejocky
Thursday, February 10, 2022 9:23:14 AM
what issues? We had one on Strates that ran without any problems. Kind of a PITA to move, particularly driving the stakes, but not that big a deal.
Ride the Zipper?
David
  •  David
  • 52.02% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Thursday, February 10, 2022 11:14:30 AM
I know towers have fallen over on ore than one occasion
OUT NOW! Amusement Rides European Special 3: Oberhausen-Sterkrade (Germany) DVD
Trailer and information can be found on the website
http://www.amusementridesdvd.co.uk 
ridejocky
Thursday, February 10, 2022 10:02:19 PM
Yeah, I don't remember any of that, but I was only on the show ten years.
Ride the Zipper?
Thunderbolt2
Friday, March 11, 2022 6:52:27 AM
I know we had issues with ours, although one issue was due to really dumb actions by one kid. Ours was GoForth if I remember correctly and it had 3 towers, anchored of course in ground with cement for both trailers. Right after the inspection at one of our larger fairs a kid got on it, bounced the seat and over went one tower and kid fell to ground. He lived as grass lot but I think he broke his leg and battered.

Second time a tower went over show owner dropped it right away and sold to a show in Mexico I think, but we didn't stake towers like Strates did, should have that would have stopped towers from going over I assume.

I rode Strates model and always enjoyed, his was a bit higher than ours and really his looked better.
wvscott
Friday, March 11, 2022 8:16:26 AM
why does Strates no longer use the one that had for years?
Thunderbolt2
Friday, March 11, 2022 3:38:51 PM
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

why does Strates no longer use the one that had for years?

Well, I am spit balling here but I figure it was getting old, parts were expensive (think company that made it was out of business), and it was three loads.

However, on the other side, it was a great family ride, and you could load all the time so I figure it was just getting old.

I do miss it though, made the midway look great.
ridejocky
Friday, March 11, 2022 6:21:54 PM
Originally Posted by: Thunderbolt2 

Well, I am spit balling here but I figure it was getting old...

I joined in '78 an it seemed old them. Three trailers and a crane. I image it got pretty hard to get guys that wanted to drive those stakes too...

Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Friday, March 11, 2022 7:41:45 PM
Strates had that Sky Ride from 1965 through 2002. The ride originally had four towers but was later reduced to three. It got a complete refurb in 1997. It was last set up In Ionia, Michigan in 2002 and never was used again.
ridejocky
Friday, March 11, 2022 10:33:38 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Strates had that Sky Ride from 1965 through 2002. The ride originally had four towers but was later reduced to three. It got a complete refurb in 1997. It was last set up In Ionia, Michigan in 2002 and never was used again.

When did they drop the forth tower?

Was it not sometimes three and sometimes four?

That think ginned money at the right spots....

Ride the Zipper?
Thunderbolt2
Friday, March 18, 2022 11:15:40 AM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Yep, I remember it sat down at the Anderson County Fair for a few years before they moved it to Florida, the big German Fun house sat there too for a while in a parking area for the wagons when the show was there.
ridejocky
Friday, March 18, 2022 8:54:56 PM
Originally Posted by: Thunderbolt2 

Yep, I remember it sat down at the Anderson County Fair for a few years before they moved it to Florida, the big German Fun house sat there too for a while in a parking area for the wagons when the show was there.

That German Funhouse won some money to.

Did he get that from Lester Colegrave? Or maybe Pemmels?
Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, March 19, 2022 8:01:54 PM
I think they got the German funhouse from Conklin around 1981.