Thunderbolt2
Monday, November 1, 2021 9:01:16 AM
It was good to read that the shows did well with the still dates in the spring, and that has helped them catch up on bills and/or start buying again. I know that AofA was packed when they played here back in April, Drew seemed to do pretty good in May (although an organized date), and then someone told me a couple of weeks ago over on Reithoffer that they made more money back in the spring that they were at some of the fairs.

Would like to see still dates make some what of a comeback, but if things do get back to "normal" then still dates may drop off again. Still I hope next year if more of the organized spring dates get going again, the shows find a way to still put on the still dates they did this year.

Thoughts?
indianacarnie
Tuesday, November 9, 2021 6:24:31 PM
While I only went out for Fair season THIS year I've played some outstanding still dates over the years. I've also played plenty that ...... well, to be nice , weren't. I think still dates will always have a spot in the business. Both spring and fall/winter ones. A great spring still date will give you a lift both financially and emotionally. Yeah, too many blanks early on can take a toll on you.
Parking lot dates seem to be getting a bit more scarce but playing in the lots of abandoned malls can be quite lucrative. Made 5 grand my end in a spring still date in Nashville abandoned mall with N.A.M.E. once (two weekends) . Did very well there the next year too but as always happens once the word got out we had twice or even 3 times the amount of games. Abandoned mall parking lots in Michigan and Ohio have treated me very well too.
This isn't the thread for the horror stories of some of the BAD ones so I'll refrain lol.

Anyway. As I mentioned earlier still dates of some length will always be with us I am sure. As long as there are showmen , we'll want to get out there as soon and as fast as possible.

An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Thunderbolt2
Thursday, November 11, 2021 8:42:59 AM
Originally Posted by: indianacarnie 

While I only went out for Fair season THIS year I've played some outstanding still dates over the years. I've also played plenty that ...... well, to be nice , weren't. I think still dates will always have a spot in the business. Both spring and fall/winter ones. A great spring still date will give you a lift both financially and emotionally. Yeah, too many blanks early on can take a toll on you.
Parking lot dates seem to be getting a bit more scarce but playing in the lots of abandoned malls can be quite lucrative. Made 5 grand my end in a spring still date in Nashville abandoned mall with N.A.M.E. once (two weekends) . Did very well there the next year too but as always happens once the word got out we had twice or even 3 times the amount of games. Abandoned mall parking lots in Michigan and Ohio have treated me very well too.
This isn't the thread for the horror stories of some of the BAD ones so I'll refrain lol.

Anyway. As I mentioned earlier still dates of some length will always be with us I am sure. As long as there are showmen , we'll want to get out there as soon and as fast as possible.

Thanks for posting, interesting, the day you posted I was watching a program on TV about empty malls in Ohio and thought that would be great for still dates, but alas many showmen have beaten me to the thought, but thats a good thing.

So let's start a thread about horror spots, will post one.