indianacarnie
Saturday, September 11, 2021 3:11:24 PM
I've been retired from the business after 41 years working on various shows. Decided (for various reasons) to go back out this year. I've seen numerous posts here about ride line ups etc. but nothing at all about how those shows were doing. So...... my experience this year (so far).

Went to a medium sized show that stays in Ohio all season. Very very nice show btw. We were up anywhere from 300 to 400% over two years ago. A extremely good year for all involved. Games, Food and Rides were all up. I use 2 years ago as a baseline as it was the last full season for most in the business. Attendance and per capita spending were also way way up.

I'm off the road again for a couple of weeks, Doctors appointments, but am hopeful I can go back out and finish up the season. This will be one for the record books if other shows are even halfway as "up" as we are.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
ridejocky
Saturday, September 11, 2021 10:34:46 PM
What are you working on?

I've thought about going back and moving a big piece for someone but never get past the thinking stage...

The kid started university this year so maybe I'll think about it a little more...
Ride the Zipper?
indianacarnie
Sunday, September 12, 2021 10:27:12 AM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

What are you working on?

I've thought about going back and moving a big piece for someone but never get past the thinking stage...

The kid started university this year so maybe I'll think about it a little more...

I work games almost exclusively. I do know that the show I was on (and hopefully go back too after Monday a week) was screaming for ride help. Food and game help too actually. Leaving rides/games in W.Q. because no one to work them. Ali Baba and many others just sitting because no one to work them. Damn shame, but anyway. I know the show I am referring to left many major/spectacular rides home for no other reason than no help. Bear in mind this was/is one of the cleanest, nicest shows I've ever seen. New bunkhouses (steel so no bugs) for free, excellent treatment and good pay. To see them struggling with the help situation broke my heart tbh.

Anyway..... if you're thinking of coming out for the remainder of this season , do it! lol...... This is by far one of the best years I've seen in 40+ years traveling and the help situation just makes it sweeter for us non-owners. I think next season will be just as strong too. If my health permits I'll unretire for next year.
An end, even with terror, is better than terror without end. F.Neitzsche
Thunderbolt2
Monday, September 13, 2021 1:49:30 PM
As far as success this year, I would say most events I have attended have done quite well. Now I haven't spoke with anyone, but seen very large crowds, on AofA when they had the spring still date here, then at this fair, and Drew in the spring at our spring fair.