JimW
  •  JimW
  • 51.56% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Tuesday, August 24, 2021 7:46:51 AM
https://kystatefair.org/...State-Fair-Ride-List.pdf 

I was at the fair on Sat. 8/21 and could not find a major ride called "Big Kahuna" anywhere on the lot. They did have an Orbiter that they called "Typhoon" that was not on the list.
And while the Astro Wheel and The Carousel are listed only once each there was two of each for a total of 49 rides. I rode both Astro wheels.

Kissel likes to re-name rides for some reason so here is some of the renames for those not familiar with them -

Atomos Fear is a Drop Tower
Flying Circus is a Yo-Yo
High Roller is a Round-Up
Oxygen is a Scat
Star Scream is a Vertigo
Super Trooper is a Paratrooper

While I have been disappointed a lot this year with many shows that have let their lighting go with many bulbs/fixtures not working Kissel is a very well lite show. And those two Astro Wheels look fantastic at night side by side all lite up.
itsapartytx
Tuesday, August 24, 2021 1:35:02 PM
Big Kahuna is a Rotor. Perhaps they replaced it with the Typhoon.

I think it’s cool they rename/retheme rides. Drew Expos has been doing it for decades.
ridejocky
Tuesday, August 24, 2021 10:36:40 PM
Are you sure about the Super Trooper? As I remember they look very much like a Paratrooper
Ride the Zipper?
JimW
  •  JimW
  • 51.56% (Neutral)
  • 40-Miler Topic Starter
Wednesday, August 25, 2021 6:37:03 AM
I was looking for The Rotor, I heard they had one and wanted to ride it. But it wasn't there.

All the Super Troopers I've seen have back to back seats on each sweep, this only had seats facing one direction like a Paratrooper.

Also forgot to put in the first post that all rides were Kissel's, NO book-ins.
itsapartytx
Sunday, August 29, 2021 1:28:17 PM
I thought those were Star Troopers. Kissel’s Super Trooper has the glider shaped bonnets.
ridejocky
Sunday, August 29, 2021 10:38:02 PM
I believe (but could be wrong) that Hrubetz built a variation of Paratrooper that raised up and down to load and that it was called the "Super-Trooper".
Ride the Zipper?
squirrel
Tuesday, August 31, 2021 1:50:07 PM
There was a "lift-up" model Paratrooper produced by Hrubetz (the manuals call it "Hydraulic Paratrooper") - it had platforms that had to be built all the way around the ride for load/unload. Someone who moved one said they were a nightmare with all the platform work.

Park Model from Indiana Beach: (pics from ThemeParkReview)

Click to View Image

Click to View Image

A.R.M. made models of the Paratrooper called SuperTrooper - those had pointed bonnets. I've seen lift-up and always-up models.

Click to View Image

Dartron made a StarTrooper that had back-to-back tubs on each sweep.

Click to View Image

Then they moved to the Cliffhanger design.

Click to View Image

itsapartytx
Tuesday, August 31, 2021 4:01:03 PM
The ARM model that Secret Squirrel posted a pic above is the model that Kissel Entertainment has.
ridejocky
Wednesday, September 1, 2021 3:19:27 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw the "Hydraulic Paratrooper" on the road (maybe WPS of Butler?) and that it was themed "Super Trooper" back in the '70s.

Couple more pics...
Hrubetz.jpg

Click to View Image18 View(s)

Trooper.jpg

Click to View Image25 View(s)

Ride the Zipper?
squirrel
Wednesday, September 1, 2021 9:13:25 AM
It's very possible someone themed theirs "SuperTrooper" -- but Hrubetz produced them as "Hydraulic Paratrooper" vs the "Standard Paratrooper" which didn't lift.

So far, that's the ONLY picture of a portable "Hydraulic" model I've ever seen. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

I'm pretty sure I saw the "Hydraulic Paratrooper" on the road (maybe WPS of Butler?) and that it was themed "Super Trooper" back in the '70s.

Couple more pics...

Hrubetz.jpg

Click to View Image18 View(s)

Trooper.jpg

Click to View Image25 View(s)

ridejocky
Wednesday, September 1, 2021 11:43:11 AM
Hard to imagine a sign saying "Hydraulic Paratrooper"

In any event, here's one that made it to the UK...

Trooper 02.PNG

Click to View Image12 View(s)

Ride the Zipper?
squirrel
Wednesday, September 1, 2021 12:29:18 PM
Originally Posted by: ridejocky 

Hard to imagine a sign saying "Hydraulic Paratrooper"

In any event, here's one that made it to the UK...

Trooper 02.PNG

Click to View Image12 View(s)

LOL - I agree - that sign would not work.

I had seen the same images about the model in Sheffield but didn't find that back-story -- good find!

ridejocky
Thursday, September 2, 2021 1:24:19 AM
Originally Posted by: squirrel 

LOL - I agree - that sign would not work.

I had seen the same images about the model in Sheffield but didn't find that back-story -- good find!

And there was much more to the story if you are interested.

If you have the time (I don't) that is a great UK website with a butt-load of rides. I'd have posted a link but it was messy enough getting the pics up...

Ride the Zipper?
Bill P
  •  Bill P
  • 81.66% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Thursday, September 2, 2021 10:37:55 PM
Saw a hydraulic paratrooper on an Amusements of America unit in Norwich, NY in August 1977. Have seen several in parks but that's the only one I saw on the road.
Thunderbolt2
Saturday, September 4, 2021 11:18:19 AM
James H Drew had a lay down trooper, here is a link to the site, if it starts at the main album, just scroll and look for Drew

https://www.flickr.com/p...0372578/with/4890056504/