thunderbolt85
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 1:44:06 PM
Originally Posted by: Bill P 

Dell & Travers became Olympic Expo and when that went down it was absorbed by Gerry Murphys Worldwide Amusements or whatever his conglomerate was called.

Yep that's right, forgot all about Worldwide (that was the name), I think it was Olympic, Mighty Bluegrass, Murphy Brothers, and a few others.
olediggerguy
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:23:32 PM
believe me...GMDM NEVER moved by rail.......Milt Kauffman was the last of a bygone era....EVEN FOR HIS TIME....!!He was strictly a promoter...and a booking agent. And believe me...the guy could book.....It was a very long time ago...but whatever he owned...was minimal.It was a piece together operation, that he basically winged from spot to spot.There were always rumors that the show was just a front for the BOSTON mob...that they used it for money laundering.It was the 70's...it's entirely possible.....
One thing Kaufman had a total understanding of was his front end. EVERYTHING worked....and it all WORKED STRONG....EVERY WEEK.....
Like I said...a different time, and the end of the real old time carnival business.......
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, May 15, 2019 4:06:29 PM
I was head electrician in '82 for GMDM. At the time, the show owned 11 rides, with 2 offices and 6 generator semis. Show was comprised of independents, so it looked good to the fair boards. Milt didn't have a golf cart, but would borrow one to take the fair managers around. He would point out the "spectacular" rides he had just imported from Europe just for their fair! All independents had to cover any writing on their rides or trucks that specified any other show. Show was controlled by the mob from Boston, with several other dubious "investors or partners". We had a hell of a.
nice route for an 11 ride show
Scott
  •  Scott
  • 87% (Honored)
  • Operations Foreman
Wednesday, May 22, 2019 8:01:07 AM
The RR show that played the Missouri State Fair was Cetlin & Wilson Shows.

Royal American never played the Missouri State Fair

As for Gooding playing the State Fair, I'm not sure if it was GMDM or Gooding Amusements.

Olympic Expo was from the Dell & Travers Show but prior to that it was the MARKS SHOWS and it was a rail road show.

As for Paul Theodor (sp) I've heard he's in Prison. But can't confirm that.

I heard he had a big food operation on Strates but never heard he was related.

GMDM used to be called AMERICAN EXPOSITION SHOWS and I believe it was a RR show but not 100% sure on that. Gooding did own the show under that name.

GMDM bought out Santamaria Amusements out of Boston in the early 80's and I believe that's where his "Connection" came into play.

Milt was also a Jewish Rabbi
RRSHOW1
  •  RRSHOW1
  • 57.26% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor
Wednesday, May 22, 2019 9:59:47 AM
John H Marks Shows was a truck show. Marks was a Greek immigrant. Show wintered in Richmond Va
Paul Theadore is Strates' cousin. He was born in Greece.

ridejocky
Wednesday, May 22, 2019 11:52:55 AM
Originally Posted by: RRSHOW1 

John H Marks Shows was a truck show. Marks was a Greek immigrant. Show wintered in Richmond Va
Paul Theadore is Strates' cousin. He was born in Greece.

Yeah, I think Theodore was actually Theodoreopolis

Ride the Zipper?
olediggerguy
Wednesday, May 22, 2019 2:18:00 PM
paul theodore died 5...10 years ago.....I believe flat broke. there was a crowdfund kind of thing going on during his last days.

He was convicted of something like kidnapping and trafficking across state lines...a federal offence. not 100% sure of the official charge...but he did go to jail...and a federal prison at that...Most likely had something to do with a beef with an employee that turned very ugly.I don't believe the show was viable after that.

I saw the show one season up in NY in the spring...rough is putting it mildly...
thunderbolt85
Thursday, May 23, 2019 6:20:04 AM
Well, from what I read and heard about Dell & Travers before that was one of the best shows on the East coast, lots of big iron. I believe they came to the Greenville County fair a couple of years, with two big fairs during that time I only got to go to one when I was a kid.

I know a show owner who now has his own big show that worked on D&T during its heyday, got a few good stories from him.
itsapartytx
Thursday, August 12, 2021 9:01:40 PM
I worked Goodings millon dollar midway for about 6 yrs as a jointy stan minker and milt kauman both came to my bosses hoyse in tampa many times he was lot man at the time for them
itsapartytx
Thursday, August 12, 2021 9:02:44 PM
I worked Goodings millon dollar midway for about 6 yrs as a jointy stan minker and milt kauman both came to my bosses hoyse in tampa many times he was lot man at the time for them