johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
  • Maintenance Supervisor Topic Starter
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:14:25 PM
The latest issue of Shocked And Amazed is avilable now. I found this publication years ago and lost the link. They are heavily into side shows but the current issue is important to me since it has pictures of my father and grandfather in it.
http://www.shockedandamazed.com/index.html 
Looking at the samples from past issues there's an interview with my aunt Mae Noell available online too. If anybody out there has a copy of volume 3 they are willing to part with let me know.
gmonty3
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:16:02 PM
Hey John, when I first saw your last name I thought of a guy that I used to know from Richmond, VA by the name of Nikki Roach. He used to always play the Buchannon, VA 4th of July celebration with his pillow joint and some kiddie rides. He once told me that his sister was Mae Noell. I never met her, but Nikki loaned me a copy of her book "Gorilla Show". After I read it, I knew that I had to have a copy so I picked one up from a used book dealer. Nikki also gave me a very poor quality VHS tape with some of the the Medicine shows on it. I first read of Noell's Ark in the early 70's and I have heard many first hand stories about it, but I could kick myself for never going to see it. Well this is getting long, but by the way, I enjoyed the video of RAS very much.
Monty

johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:48:01 PM
Yeah, Nick was my uncle. I have a copy of the medicine show thing they did for PBS if you would like one. I played Buchannan with Red once years ago myself but if you remember the pillows that was a long time before that. I still have the trailer he had that joint in, reskinned with a new awning also. My dad and me built that trailer when I was 16 years old and Nick took it soon afterwards and I had to wait about 30 years to get it back.
gmonty3
Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:49:02 AM
I've played Buchanan for 28-years beginning in 1980. There is a nice woman by the name of Donna who has had inflates there for the past couple of years. Buchanan is not what it used to be because the Salem Fair is only 15-miles away and that is the 2nd largest fair in Virginia. I remember Buchanan when there was no Salem Fair and we used to draw people from the Roanoke and Salem Market
Monty

Sue
  •  Sue
  • 50.42% (Neutral)
  • Operations Foreman
Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:35:37 AM
John: James Taylor, the Shocked and Amazed guy, used to come to the Gibtown trade show every few years. I never met him but Al Stencill would know if he is in the breezeway with his back end and girl show books.
Did you try used book sites
www.abebooks.com  is the best one I know - links to tiny bookstores all over the US & Canada.
I have several of the books, but am not sure how long it would take me to find them. I'll try to look before next week.
You going to Gibtown? Im in same booth 1110.
Sue
gmonty3
Monday, January 28, 2008 4:55:47 AM
Sue is right on the money. Thw Abe Books site is one of the best on the web. I picked up volumn 1 and 2 of "Shocked and Amazed" on this site so now I have the complete 9-volumn set.

Maybe I missed something, what book are you actually looking for?
Monty

johnroach100
  •  johnroach100
  • 58.22% (Neutral)
Monday, January 28, 2008 2:53:25 PM
I was looking for Volume 3, but the interview I was interested in seems to be in the "Best of", so I just ordered a copy of that, thanks. I like the Abe Books site too.